[1.10.1] Making Alternate History - Lander Pack

bcink

I've been *very* busy making extremely little progress with the landing legs on this thing loading and reloading more times than can count. It's only measurable in loads per hour at this point and its very high. I'll skip with the bantering of details and merely say there is currently a cash bounty of $20 for whoever wants to solve these landing legs. It needs the correct combination of something to do with the suspension and deploy targets and despite hundreds of trial and error attempts I have been unable to decipher the proper combination of locations and settings. Msg me for fbx file if interested. Suggestions also welcome.

Otherwise, the things just might not have suspension because I'm about done with it.

Today's lack of progress:

QyHRvCq.gif

Suspension is overrated.  Lol.   I hate parts that touch the ground.  I, for one, won't judge if you skip suspension and just make it super hard to break.  

I don't really have time to get Unity reinstalled and get back up to speed...  but if you post a screenshot of the unity hierarchy and the cfg file...  we might figure it out from there?   I've made it work in the distant past...  

3 hours ago, artwhaley said:

Suspension is overrated.  Lol.   

It's a really nice touch though =/

Sort of closer today but still no joy. :(

xa7n30z.gif

suspensiontarget = 

8qwLRg0.png

wheelcollider = 

mM8gViP.png

and screwing around with it's location but right now the deploy target =

kzAf6cG.png

Current related configs:

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleWheelBase
		wheelColliderTransformName = WheelCollider	
		wheelType = LEG
		// setting this to true will override the radius and center parameters
		FitWheelColliderToMesh = false
		radius = 0.25
		center = 0,0,0
		mass = 0.2
		autoFrictionAvailable = False			
		TooltipTitle = #autoLOC_502076 //#autoLOC_502076 = Landing Leg
		TooltipPrimaryField = 
		groundHeightOffset = 2
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleWheelSuspension
		baseModuleIndex = 0
		suspensionTransformName = SuspensionTarget
		suspensionDistance = 0.7
		suspensionOffset = -0.7
		targetPosition = 1
		springRatio = 60
		damperRatio = 1
		boostRatio = 0.5
		extendDurationFactor = 1.0
		retractDuractionFactor = 1.0
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleWheelDeployment
		baseModuleIndex = 0
		animationTrfName = legs
		animationStateName = Deploy
		deployedPosition = 1
		deployTargetTransformName = DeployTarget
		TsubSys = 0.2
		fxDeploy = deploy
		fxRetract = retract
		fxDeployed = deployed
		fxRetracted = retracted
	}

14 hours ago, T-10a said:

Maybe try Shadowmage's KSPWheel? https://github.com/shadowmage45/KSPWheel

It seems to be set up specifically to help resolve KSP's rather, ahem, lacking wheel code.

Thanks - I tried using KSPWheel this morning but I end up with the exact same problem as in the .gif above. Something just isn't right with the deploytarget and or suspensiontarget locations. or maybe its the wheel collider locations. Even with all the trial and error I can't find the responsible transform... Targetposition = 1 and the suspension hovers off the ground, 0 and its beneath it, 0.5 and there's no suspension / breaking. blehhh

3 hours ago, GrandProtectorDark said:

Why didn't I notice earlier that you where making another mod. This really looks as awesome as your other stuff and I'm looking forward to add this to my giant mod collection.

:D Thanks! This may take some time but we'll get there eventually!

Edited by bcink

Using KSPWheel - I'm 100% certain that this offset can be corrected, but how to correct it would depend on the model setup.  If you don't mind PM'ing me with the model file and your current config (preferably your attempt at KSPWheel config), I'll see about taking a look at it sometime this week.

If using stock modules... sorry, can't help there, I never could get them figured out (not to mention they simply wouldn't work for most of my needs).

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 7:46 AM, Shadowmage said:

Using KSPWheel - I'm 100% certain that this offset can be corrected

Still trying to tackle this thing with stock wheel module. Still might send it over to you, lol.

In the meantime, descent stage is in game and the ladder works wonderfully.
Gp98aQg.png

1 hour ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Y'know, hasn't the launch pad always had some collider wonkiness? Or does the offset happen off the pad as well?

I think it has, yep. I'm doing a fair bit more than normal sliding across the surface though, plus a few other little issues; jitter on retract, explode when launch reported also by a tester, lol

8 hours ago, bcink said:

I think it has, yep. I'm doing a fair bit more than normal sliding across the surface though, plus a few other little issues; jitter on retract, explode when launch reported also by a tester, lol

I've had that first part happen with stock parts. I think something with the new gear module is wonky. Very nice models, textures, and animation on your Altair there btw.

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 6:41 PM, AlternNocturn said:

I've had that first part happen with stock parts. I think something with the new gear module is wonky. Very nice models, textures, and animation on your Altair there btw.

Thanks a lot :D

The ascent stage is about ready for texture:

gxMmogV.png

20 minutes ago, debaker02 said:

This is really great.  Are you planning to balance it to the ETS mission profile?  E.g. it needs to do a circularization burn with a bdb block 5 Apollo attached and still land.

Should probably try and make it so. The pack is supposed to "mesh" with BDB and will be sharing it's RL-10 engines for the descent stage as it is.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.