[1.10.1] Making Alternate History - Lander Pack

bcink

27 minutes ago, Barzon Kerman said:

thanks! - I don't know why I didn't think of that!  :) 

Indeed, basically inside Gamedata/Bluedog_DB/Parts/, you can safely delete any of those full folders without doing any worrying. If you want to prune stuff out of individual folders (let's say, delete the Saturn parts that aren't relevant to Eyes) then it's a bit more involved. :)

Absolutely amazing! I can't wait for a dedicated large lander design, especially considering bcink is developing it!

EDIT: Now that there's a version number in the title, does that mean the alpha/pre-alpha is released/will be released very soon?

Edited by Saltshaker

1 hour ago, Saltshaker said:

Absolutely amazing!

does that mean the alpha/pre-alpha is released/will be released very soon?

Thanks!! :D    Well, I'm mainly trying to make sure it's relevant to whatever current version we're working with as that's what everything is being compiled with. I'm not too sure about an alpha or anything just yet but progress is happening steadily. I'll actually have to do most of the testing coming up here once I finish with the ascent engines. I'm ready to start texturing those. Then it's all about integrating the BDB engines to the descent stage and lastly deciding if there will be a third module for the upper section (other than a set of boxes which is planned to be able to go behind the ascent stage). I was thinking double-stack hab as the reference images have, but I feel as though its 100% useless, so we'll see if I come up with something. 

I still don't know if standalone habitats will be part of this or if that's another unnecessary, as I have also created a habitat pack (granted other textures, purposes, massive size, etc,) - I'm just not sure.

I changed the railing to be part of the descent stage as opposed to the habitat alone, this way the ascent stage has the railing around it as well. The fixed hab without the railing, descent stage with railing as well as updated textures and ascent stage with updated textures have now all been recompiled and are back in game:

wuko7Xa.png

I forgot if I mentioned this thing with the legs folded up fits perfectly inside a 5m fairing.

Right, and the ladder works and the ascent stage door doesn't open or anything but its a hatch to enter and exit from.

Edited by bcink

It would be keeping with the in-universe explanation to have the taller hab module include an integrated laboratory space for processing samples (since the Orion missions are longer, but the amount of samples they can bring home is roughly the same).

So, off the top of my head:

• RCS for the descent stage
  • Orion-type Hab
  • Ascent engines
  • Whatever you're putting on the top deck of the descent stage.

3 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

It would be keeping with the in-universe explanation to have the taller hab module include an integrated laboratory space for processing samples (since the Orion missions are longer, but the amount of samples they can bring home is roughly the same).

So, off the top of my head:

• RCS for the descent stage
  • Orion-type Hab
  • Ascent engines
  • Whatever you're putting on the top deck of the descent stage.

This is amazing work; It is looking like it fits in very nice.

3 hours ago, debaker02 said:

That is a neat animation.  This is really shaping up to be a cool mod!  Are you working on thrusters also?

Thanks! I believe  I will make a set, but it would be for the descent stage. The ascent will remain using the stock. They fit pretty well.

2 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Those panels are neat! I love the extending ring design. :)

Thanks! Something a little different, you know? :)

5 hours ago, wallum61 said:

I'm literally checking every hour to see if this is released yet. I cannot wait to play with these parts.

You inspired me to design something of my own;

Haha, awesome :D

I have created RCS thrusters:

fvxHASt.png

And they are in-game and working:

s4bYHxR.png

Next, I will texture the ascent stage engine's fairing, because, although it is not visible when used with this descent stage, it may be used for other purposes and has a fairing.

Fairing is complete:

o7ihExI.png

and the "boxes prop" is done. I copied them from the hab unit, repositioned and created a node on the descent stage for them:

SdYAxZS.png

Also got the lights working on the ascent stage:

ISjovok.png

as well as the hab:

or1RDhh.png

What's left before first release?

A double-height hab unit that will be able to fit a 1.25m docking port. The same design as the current one, just taller and without the inflating top.

Accurately settings numbers on all the parts.

Config file for BDB engines from Cobalt.

Integrating other mods.

Final testing.

Edited by bcink
lights / status

So there's going to be a little bit of variance :)

Double-stack hab for 1.25m docking ports:

kfExTRp.png

As well as the "Orion" double-stack inflatable (since it was very simple to create using existing materials)

T8tCbXp.png

Descent engines patch was turned over by @CobaltWolf - I landed on Mun and did a short EVA, climbed back up the ladder and into the ascent stage where I blasted off back to orbit, soo... I zipped up the pack and sent it to a couple people for general testing. 

Sxvt3IL.png

2 hours ago, hieywiey said:

Does this just use the regular RL-10's from BDB? If not, I'd be glad to do the RealPlume configs for them.

Thanks - yeah, it does. There is a patch happening in the background which removes the duplicate if BDB is installed, turns them into LFO engines instead of LH2 when BDB is not installed, and as well changes the fuel on the descent stage to match.

1 hour ago, bcink said:

Thanks - yeah, it does. There is a patch happening in the background which removes the duplicate if BDB is installed, turns them into LFO engines instead of LH2 when BDB is not installed, and as well changes the fuel on the descent stage to match.

If you need any help with RealPlume configs, PM me.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.