KSP Weekly: Starman to Ceres

SQUAD

7 minutes ago, awsumindyman said:

Can the chute be repacked?

Yes

8 minutes ago, goldenpeach said:

Parachutes in 1.4?

First thing I'll do is to add a (probably awful) escape crew capsule to my planes and give the parachutes to the crew so they can eject from the escape crew capsule if there's a problem with it. I played KSP for years now and I learned I would need the parachute the hard way.

edit: also, I give it a week before someone upload a video of a kerbal ejecting from a plane and steer the parachute to land on another plane so the kerbal can land safely on the runway.

Here's what I can tell you about the kerbal Parachutes:
The kerbal parachutes are not a separate part.
They are part of every kerbal's suit.
They are steerable.
They can be repacked by the individual kerbal.
The flag on the chute is the mission flag.

1 hour ago, SQUAD said:

I had a bit of a giggle imagining the sudden horror on the face of the kerbals when mid-jump they realize they can't reach the ripcord handle (which seems to be located dead center on the lower back end of the pack)...

8 minutes ago, goldenpeach said:

edit: also, I give it a week before someone upload a video of a kerbal ejecting from a plane and steer the parachute to land on another plane so the kerbal can land safely on the runway.

Or possibly another spacewalk home from Gilly, stock this time.

Spoiler

Ooh, now I want handheld tanks of EVAFuel. Disconnect tube and discard when emptied.

1 hour ago, SQUAD said:

The blue vintage spacesuit will be displayed during EVAs and the brown one during IVAs!

So, are the good EVA suits lost to the sands of time, or will reasonable, upstanding players get to choose the  proper  color? 

#BrownIsBest

1 hour ago, awsumindyman said:

Bring your naysaying and complaining elsewhere, this thread isn't for that.

Umm...I thought this thread was about KSP development.  Maybe I was...no...this is KSP Weekly.  Are you sure you replied in the right thread?  There might be a mix up here.

1 hour ago, JPLRepo said:

Yes it is steerable.

I thought I remembered it not being!  ...but it is!  This is truly wonderful news!

2 hours ago, SQUAD said:

On top of that, our art team was also very busy. Since we are including several new parts with a 1.875 diameter, we also needed to include a Heat Shield to accompany them, which is now within the part catalogue for the upcoming 1.4 update. And that’s not all, several months ago we mentioned that we were going to include a personnel parachute in the expansion, well, we have determined to include it in the 1.4 update instead of the expansion, so all Kerbals in peril can attempt an emergency parachute-jump (assuming there’s an atmosphere). Here’s a sneak peek!

Sounds like I can remove the parachutes from theEVA Parachutes & Ejection Seats, maybe even drop this mod

1 hour ago, Space Station 4 Crash said:

In true fan squad fashion, tell me, where should it go?

How about in a support thread?

39 minutes ago, swjr-swis said:

I had a bit of a giggle imagining the sudden horror on the face of the kerbals when mid-jump they realize they can't reach the ripcord handle (which seems to be located dead center on the lower back end of the pack)...

Well, if you watch a Danny video or have thrown a Kerbal hard enough, you'll realize their limbs can stretch to great lengths! :D 

I must say, having those EVA 'chutes will be wonderful. And steerable too! I know these were announced before, but now we can finally see it! And I called it almost a year ago!

Nice that they're in 1.4 too, although for less than C$20 I'll certainly be getting MH. Since MH is built off 1.4, can I assume that mods updated for 1.4 would work under MH? Or would that be yet one more recompile for poor ol' linuxgurugamer to do? (not that I do any modding)

@SQUAD I would be willing to work for free to help make the planet textures look just a little better because I love the game that much. Lord knows, I have all the time in the world... I love the look of the suits though. That green thing behind him, needs some detail. One can only keep hoping for an art pass for the bodies in the future.

tumblr_inline_p3wkf2fvAN1rr2wit_540.png

Ill just leave my application...right.....here :D

Edited by Galileo

2 hours ago, SQUAD said:
Capable of taking 63,800 kilograms of cargo to low earth orbit, more than twice its nearest competitor – ULA’s Delta IV Heavy – at one quarter the cost, Falcon Heavy is the biggest rocket to launch (in terms of payload it can lift) since the final launch of the Saturn V rocket in 1973

No:

Polyus_800.jpg

And no again if you count a (4) launch failure as a launch:

2iQ1Vyj.jpg

Other than that, it's always nice to see development is continuing on its track.

24 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Ah yes, time to pull "press 'o' three times to bail out" from my CFS3 muscle memory.

Personally I was mentally shouting 'out out out!' as I panicked and hit what I hoped was the 'o' key as many times as I could.

I... I didn't always hit the right key :(

I can see myself ending up using this routinely... sending a capsule into reentry without a parachute, hanging off it once it's slow enough, grabbing the science and parachuting the kerbal down.

I wonder if there will be a contract that involves taking a tourist for a suborbital sky-dive...

felix-baumgartner-red-bull-stratos-017.jpg

3 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

The kerbal parachutes are not a separate part.
They are part of every kerbal's suit.

Aww, and I was looking forward to the Engineer's Report:
"This craft has no landing gear or parachutes, are you planning on giving the Kerbals a parachute?"

9 minutes ago, Raptor9 said:

I wonder if there will be a contract that involves taking a tourist for a suborbital sky-dive...

felix-baumgartner-red-bull-stratos-017.jpg

Oh, man... I am SOOOO trying this first!!!  

Halo-jumping from LKO... WOOHOO!!!!

:cool:

Edited by Just Jim

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.