KSP Weekly: Starman to Ceres

SQUAD

10 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

What was this?

Energia Launcher with the Polyus space craft. The Energia was also the same thing to take the Buran to orbit. This particular launch, while the booster worked fine, failed cause some orbital insertion engine didn't work. This was 1987. Theoretically capable of 100,000 kg (220,000 lb) to orbit but required upper stage or payload to perform final orbital insertion. (ripped from wikipedia.) So maybe the heaviest thing since Saturn V, but it kinda did require an external motor system from the launcher.

My 2 cents on the chutes - Cool feature, but some of the fun of trying not to kill a kerbal from great heights is lost. Will be fun to play with though! Wonder also if it is possible to deploy it in a command chair and thus maybe make a paramotor....

4 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

Yes

Here's what I can tell you about the kerbal Parachutes:
The kerbal parachutes are not a separate part.
They are part of every kerbal's suit.
They are steerable.
They can be repacked by the individual kerbal.
The flag on the chute is the mission flag.

What determines you have a chute instead of the rocket pack? Are they tweakable in the VAB? or while in a vehicle/on EVA?

And if you have a chute... do you not have a rocket pack?

(Pardon my OCD... and excitement! - - I don't know why, but this is sooooo extra cool to me!)

Edited by GeneCash

38 minutes ago, GeneCash said:

What determines you have a chute instead of the rocket pack? Are they tweakable in the VAB? or while in a vehicle/on EVA?

And if you have a chute... do you not have a rocket pack?

(Pardon my OCD... and excitement! - - I don't know why, but this is sooooo extra cool to me!)

They can have both a jet pack and a chute

It'd be convenient if you could add action groups to eject multiple Kerbals at once, and have their parachutes have the same tweakable selections as the parachute parts.  So it would be like assigning an action group to kick out all the Kerbals you want as well as stage their personal chutes; but they would all end up "pulling their ripcord" at the same height over a drop zone based on the pressure/altitude-above-ground settings you had them set to.  Just like the parachute parts.

The idea being you could airdrop a team of Kerbalnauts over a destination and have them land in small area.  Instead of clicking EVA on one, switching back to your craft, clicking EVA on the next, and so on.  Depending on the craft speed, you might have Kerbals spread across a wide swath of terrain if you had to EVA each one individually.  Not to mention that this would ensure a smoother ABORT sequence set-up for a Gemini-inspired launch, in which you might want to have both Kerbal's eject at the same time if "bad things" were to happen.

6 hours ago, Space Station 4 Crash said:

What a mess. 3 weeks in on console re-release after a year and a half and we get one paragraph asking to keep helping out. We paid you to do your own bug tracking SQUAD. Your rounds of support releases are like waiting for solar eclipses. 

Why don't you make history and address your console customers the way they deserve to be treated. You really can't see how seeing all these amazing expansions for making history (90% of dev news) can slap the console players in the face after what we have went through? Shame on you.

Agreed and disagreed. I think that it's been long enough if this next patch fails then I agree. As I have stated before, I think it's important to let SQUAD make the nessicary changed they are humans. Funny joke though "make history" :) 

im not mad with squad to your level... YET but I agree it's been almost two years. 

8 hours ago, UomoCapra said:

We truly understand your concerns, thank you for expressing them. Let me assure you that you are being heard and that we are doing our best. Enhanced Edition was made from scratch, and although it went through a strenuous QA process, some bugs made it through. However, we are fully committed to solve all the bugs that Enhanced Edition is currently experiencing. We have a dedicated QA team looking for bugs and reproducing reports, as well as a full-time team working on solving all issues. Naturally, no one is obliged to help us, but our community has always played a huge part in the devlopment process, and as our team is small, we are asking for help so that no bug escapes our radar, as well as to assign priorities according to what players experience the most and the severity of the issues. We will continue supporting Enhaced Edition for as long as it's necessary and the first patch is comming sooner than you might think :wink: 

This is nice and all. And we appreciate this. But... if the patch is so close to be released, you know the time frame fo the release. Is it tommorow? Next week? Week after that? Next month? If it is so close to be release you know what bugs are already fixed. And you know the bugs you are still working on and wont be fixed in this patch. After all the feedback and internal qa testing you know if there are still game breaking bugs left or if you are not aware of any of them anymore. Do you consider the game playable with this patch? Or are you aware of gamebreaking and savebreaking bugs and these will be fixed later?

The main question is, why do you keep your customer in the dark? This is biggest complain on the forums. People understand this is new version, people understand you are working on it and it takes time. But nobody understands why it is so difficult to give some straight answers aboug the status of the game. At this point for the most pressing questoins - when and what will be fixed? You know it. At least partially. You know people are asking for it. But for some reason you decided to ignore it and just post "we are working on it and something will be fixed somewhen" and post it each month.

17 minutes ago, Agarwel said:

The main question is, why do you keep your customer in the dark? This is biggest complain on the forums.

Because there has been too many times where something was mentioned and it has spiraled out of hand. A good example would be multiplayer. There is still a lot of grief Squad gets about that.

8 hours ago, awsumindyman said:

From a practical standpoint, brown would be very difficult to see against pretty much every landscape in the Kerbol system

As you will recall, the brown suits were actually quite a lite shade with darker accents.  Even still, I'm sure your human pattern recognition has little problem seeing current suits on the lovely snowy poles of Kerbin.  Losing sight of the brown suits on Duna, which is possibly the only culprit to the claim of which you make, would truly not be as likely as it may seem.

#BrownIsBest 

Edited by klgraham1013

14 hours ago, SQUAD said:

several months ago we mentioned that we were going to include a personnel parachute in the expansion, well, we have determined to include it in the 1.4 update instead of the expansion

That's nice. Seems like something that should be in stock, rather than an expansion.

10 hours ago, qzgy said:

Energia Launcher with the Polyus space craft. The Energia was also the same thing to take the Buran to orbit. This particular launch, while the booster worked fine, failed cause some orbital insertion engine didn't work. This was 1987. Theoretically capable of 100,000 kg (220,000 lb) to orbit but required upper stage or payload to perform final orbital insertion. (ripped from wikipedia.) So maybe the heaviest thing since Saturn V, but it kinda did require an external motor system from the launcher.

My 2 cents on the chutes - Cool feature, but some of the fun of trying not to kill a kerbal from great heights is lost. Will be fun to play with though! Wonder also if it is possible to deploy it in a command chair and thus maybe make a paramotor....

It wasnt a successful launch, and needed that externam motor system.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.