KSP Weekly: Starman to Ceres

SQUAD

4 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

Seriously, guys? Does it really need to be a scandal and a controversy as to how quickly Squad replies to something? That they might not even feel a need to respond to? On a weekend? With game news and a car on it's way to the asteroid belt, Tweet response time is what you're choosing to be excited about? 

Seriously? 

Presumably it is someone's job at SQUAD to handle their PR... when one of the world's largest orbital rocket companies CEO tweets about your playing your game about orbital rocketry... that's kind of a huge deal. 

Imagine if Gordon Ramsay tweeted about making a meal from a recipe book you wrote...

Imagine if Taylor Swift tweeted about listening to a song that you wrote...

You know, no one here has any responsibility or authority to direct or tell anyone at SQUAD how they should perform their tasks or do their jobs but I think everyone here that has commented on it feels that the magnitude of this situation should not be overlooked.

9 hours ago, Kerbart said:

I enjoy the forward thinking of this statement, but I do disagree. The whole point of being active on twitter are public statements like these, and for a small company like Squad this is nothing but pure gold. Failure to follow up in public on this (with at t he very least a retweet) is a PR failure and unless wild promises are made, a simple tweet (acknowledging Mr. Bruno's tweet) would have no negative consequences at all.

@ToryBruno, we're proud that you're one of us. Would you mind that we add Tory Kerman to our roster? would have been a golden publicity opportunity.

(disclosure: I work closely with somebody who does this kind of stuff for a living)

Yeah, i agree actually.  I was merely putting it out there as a possibility no one seemed to have considered really.  

About the chutes:

Will there be a key "Eject All" (do not open the chutes, just eject all crew members from a plane/rocket) ?

Will there be a key "Expand everybody's chute" (i.e. when the crew has been ejected by the previous key, and they are enough far from the depleted plane/rocket, open all chutes at once) ?

Will be the kerbonaut lithobraking still possible?

Spoiler

P.S.
Next stop: submersible kerbonauts. Ballast, swimsuit, so on.

Edited by kerbiloid

5 hours ago, Poodmund said:

Presumably it is someone's job at SQUAD to handle their PR... when one of the world's largest orbital rocket companies CEO tweets about your playing your game about orbital rocketry... that's kind of a huge deal. 

Imagine if Gordon Ramsay tweeted about making a meal from a recipe book you wrote...

You know, no one here has any responsibility or authority to direct or tell anyone at SQUAD how they should perform their tasks or do their jobs but I think everyone here that has commented on it feels that the magnitude of this situation should not be overlooked.

Some of us can’t be bothered to care..Or maybe we take our jobs too seriously. OR maybe we feel it’s our duty to knock those that are excited down a peg because we can’t be bothered to care and so on and so forth... vicious cycle. :wink: 

7 hours ago, Poodmund said:

Imagine if celebrities were just people like everyone else.

Imagine if they didn't get preferential treatment just because they're famous.

In my opinion, if you think it's a slight or rude to not respond to someone famous who mentions you, then it must also be a slight or rude to not respond to all the mentions from everyone else, too.

I don't believe it makes Squad look bad, as some people seem to believe. Instead, to me, it seems like Squad missed an opportunity to interact with their community. It's a chance to stand out and be seen, not some grave error or insult to what amounts to, despite his position or accomplishments, just another human being.

Be inspired by you heroes; don't deify them.

Edited by Mako

12 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

Does it really need to be a scandal and a controversy as to how quickly Squad replies to something?

I wouldn't go as far as saying it was a scandal...

We were simply making comments.

Edited by Gameslinx

16 minutes ago, Mako said:

just another human being.

Yes, and every human being has an opinion, but some matter more than others.. Squad not even acknowledging this in the slightest (and by this point you know they know) is dumb on their part and a wasted opportunity, as you said. 

Oh, man.... I'm sorry, @Vanamonde... I know you don't want this to be the issue... but I agree with you, so this is my last comment about the tweet...

Everyone... it's still the weekend!!! Unless someone is monitoring the KSP tweets from their personnel cell-phone, they might not even know it happened yet! Just be patient, please, and wait until tomorrow, when @SQUAD gets back to work.

OK... now onto more important things... I'm not sure who mentioned it, but I saw a comment about adding a quick-key or something to deploy multiple parachutes at the same time... and I couldn't agree more!!!  That would be so cool!!!!  In fact, I already have a drop-pod plane ready to go... I would LOVE to see half a dozen Kerbals go running out the back instead!!!

Spoiler

35QU7Xr.png

gPKXE4o.png

xbxSkOe.png

13 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

Seriously, guys? Does it really need to be a scandal and a controversy as to how quickly Squad replies to something? That they might not even feel a need to respond to? On a weekend? With game news and a car on it's way to the asteroid belt, Tweet response time is what you're choosing to be excited about? 

Seriously? 

They just tweeted 40 minutes ago (Sunday afternoon). About some player's trip to Duna. So stop with "it's the weekend." They are clearly running the twitter account over the weekend, but the person at the wheel is obviously clueless.

It's not a scandal, it's a lost opportunity. I posted here (that they had been tweeted to by Tory), then I DMed them to let them know they should take the opportunity. It's free press that CEOs of 2 huge launch vehicle companies play KSP, is it not?

If we didn't care about Squad, we'd not be talking about it, it's not to bash them, it's to prevent lost opportunities. They have social media. The whole point of twitter is that stuff there has a really short half-life. Either play the game, or don't bother.

Edited by tater

2 hours ago, Mako said:

Imagine if celebrities were just people like everyone else.

Imagine if they didn't get preferential treatment just because they're famous.

In my opinion, if you think it's a slight or rude to not respond to someone famous who mentions you, then it must also be a slight or rude to not respond to all the mentions from everyone else, too.

I don't believe it makes Squad look bad, as some people seem to believe. Instead, to me, it seems like Squad missed an opportunity to interact with their community. It's a chance to stand out and be seen, not some grave error or insult to what amounts to, despite his position or accomplishments, just another human being.

Be inspired by you heroes; don't deify them.

Who is deifying anyone? I'd post smack to any of them about their vehicles, for example, if I thought it was justified (politely, because that's how I roll).

KSP is a great space game, and it has enough educational content (and just STEM interest generation) that being played by CEOs of actual rocket companies is a great selling point. Taking advantage of that is called "good business," it's not more complicated than that.

2 hours ago, tater said:

The whole point of twitter is that stuff there has a really short half-life.

I'm sorry, I really wouldn't know... I don't have Twitter, nor do I really want it.

Back to parachuting... is it possible to use the EVA thrusters to slow down a Kerbal enough to halo-jump from orbit?
Follow-up.. if it is... would the Kerbal burn up before being able to deploy a parachute?
And a 2nd follow-up... would the Kerbal be able to slow down enough so that the parachute doesn't rip off???

I can't wait to find out!!!  :cool:

Edited by Just Jim

2 hours ago, sh1pman said:

Who’s the second CEO that plays KSP?

The second we have on record is Tory Bruno, a few days ago on Twitter. But we know of one other from some time ago:

Jan 6th 2015 - Elon Musk on an AMA sessions on Reddit: "Kerbal is awesome!"  https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2rgsan/i_am_elon_musk_ceocto_of_a_rocket_company_ama/cnfri17/

On 09/02/2018 at 9:19 PM, nascarlaser1 said:

yay! with 1.4's release @linuxgurugamer will have 1 less mod to worry about :D.

No no no, now we really really need a wingsuit mod :sticktongue:.

Absolutely amazing work @JPLRepo and a nice surprise for everyone here. Just one question:

I see brown parachutes backpack and brown jetpack, could you tell if they'll match the IVA or the EVA suit or it's too much spoilers us?

Thanks and good weekend-end for everyone.

PS: Are you guys reading the post title in you head like "Starrmaaaaaaaannn to Ceres in the sky..." or is just me?

7 hours ago, tater said:

They just tweeted 40 minutes ago (Sunday afternoon). About some player's trip to Duna. So stop with "it's the weekend." They are clearly running the twitter account over the weekend

Congratulations, you've discovered scheduled tweets. 

Why weren't you complaining about them when the squad account didn't reply to Elon Musk 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.