What is your most facepalm-worthy moment regarding KSP?

MaverickSawyer

As many of you know, I have been having issues with my games graphics. I had scatterer, sve, svt, planet shine... guess what I just found out?

sve incorporates scatterer. So I had it installed twice. I was confused about this for 2 months. My game was trying to load everything twice. My gpu is now not melting every time I use ksp.

MONTHS!!!

I’m an idiot

Well I now have a new face-palm worthy moment courtesy of my daughter's cat.  The first part of could almost go to the "done something cool by accident" post, but the last part definitely belongs here.

I had a Voyager-analog heading out to Eeloo and while it was in transit, I decided to add Outer Planets mod, which moves Eeloo to be a moon of Sarnus.  Happily, I tend to over-engineer everything, so I had plenty of dV to redirect the Voyager-E to Jool - and rename it to Voyager-J.  In fact, my burn went so well, it went straight to an encounter with Laythe with about a 500km Pe.  So I thought to myself "perfect, I'll have the Voyager do a fly-by of all the moons & get a nice big boost to science."   That was the cool part.  Now the rest:  

Laythe went well, and Vall was in perfect position so I barely had to burn at all to get an encounter, followed by Tylo, which also just needed a small burn to get an encounter.  Then my daughter's cat - who likes to sit on my lap & watch KSP - decided he wanted to play too.  And his playing involved smacking the spacebar, thereby dumping my NERV transfer stage.  The only plus was the SRB on the Voyager had just enough dV - with some help from RCS - to get an orbit around Tylo.  So 3 out of 5 isn't bad I guess.  And my daughter wonders why I don't like cats.

Voyager-J after the incident, looking back at Laythe & Jool:

KrklCoA.png?2

SRB burn over Tylo:

8tIlW04.png?2

10 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

As a fellow cat-owner... that just made my day!!!  :D

As another owner of a cat, welcome to the club of “ my cat made me do it” =P

sounds like that one time when ...

Actually, I post here a lot. This time I’ll save myself the facepalm.

I feel yah, and your cat. Would suggest using one of those keyboard coolers. Or laptop cooler if you’re like me. Seem that cats like warm surfaces... who would have thought.

8 minutes ago, Mark Kerbin said:

I feel yah, and your cat. Would suggest using one of those keyboard coolers. Or laptop cooler if you’re like me. Seem that cats like warm surfaces... who would have thought.

I have a laptop cooler, but my daughter taught him to play games on her phone as a kitten, and he apparently has grown up to play KSP now.  He will sit on my lap as long as I let him watching & occasionally trying to play too.  He's pulled keys out of my keyboard before also.  I think he enjoys the explosions.:D

2 hours ago, Cavscout74 said:

I have a laptop cooler, but my daughter taught him to play games on her phone as a kitten, and he apparently has grown up to play KSP now.  He will sit on my lap as long as I let him watching & occasionally trying to play too.  He's pulled keys out of my keyboard before also.  I think he enjoys the explosions.:D

-Cuteness Overload- Essential Systems Error.or.rr.r.11,0..01...

On 4/24/2018 at 4:04 AM, Gargamel said:

HE LIVES!  Still frying your computer?

Ran a stop watch while loading the game tonight.  14:26.   Sigh.......

Oh, I still lurk.  I still have the replacement machine I slapped together when I fried the old one, so I can't go as big as I like, but I'm still dabbling here and there, as it were.

7 hours ago, SwissSpace93 said:

The MinmusBase has some problems with the physics :mad: when it get loaded and the Physics are calculated

Why this happens? (is it Kerbal Attachement Systems?)

No, it's KSP/Unity - i.e., the game itself. Try installing World Stabilizer  https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/169206-131-142-worldstabilizer-bugfix-for-vessels-bouncing-on-scene-load/ which would've been an embedded link except "the backend server is running at capacity".

Stupidest within the last two days: if your station is doing the Kraken Shuffle, this is the Wrong Time to weld Construction Ports (USI Konstruction) together.

dzZ8NFa.jpg

Try a micro-timewarp instead. (that worked!)

On 4/24/2018 at 7:39 AM, Mark Kerbin said:

As many of you know, I have been having issues with my games graphics. I had scatterer, sve, svt, planet shine... guess what I just found out?

sve incorporates scatterer. So I had it installed twice. I was confused about this for 2 months. My game was trying to load everything twice. My gpu is now not melting every time I use ksp.

MONTHS!!!

I’m an idiot

You're not an idiot. Everyone is smart in their own way! Remember that kids. 

I have three module managers installed...

(Slams head through McDonalds table I'm at)

On 4/24/2018 at 1:19 PM, Cavscout74 said:

Then my daughter's cat - who likes to sit on my lap & watch KSP - decided he wanted to play too.  And his playing involved smacking the spacebar, thereby dumping my NERV transfer stage.  

Cats don't have thumbs, how did it reach the spacebar?

(To prevent me looking like an idiot, I am aware of the existence of Boston Thumb Cats)

I'm not a cat person, they're cute, but I don't know. If my dog tried to play KSP I would need a new keyboard.

4 minutes ago, Kernel Kraken said:

You're not an idiot. Everyone is smart in their own way! Remember that kids. 

I have three module managers installed...

(Slams head through McDonalds table I'm at)

You want idiot?

Ill give you idiot.

f5544b0519dcf3f7870df7167cf9e980.png

I accidentally went orbital on minmus.

Woops

That, or this is when we drove right off the side of a cliff/mountain.

Not sure.

1 minute ago, Mark Kerbin said:

You want idiot?

Ill give you idiot.

f5544b0519dcf3f7870df7167cf9e980.png

I accidentally went orbital on minmus.

Woops

That, or this is when we drove right off the side of a cliff/mountain.

Not sure.

What, did Jeb jump on minmus? I think this is the part where you frantically button mash in hopes that the wheels will magically turn into a Kraken Drive so you can deorbit.

So, I usually breeze through the main menu, go straight to load game.

But the other day I noticed the "Addons and mods" button.   That is new (for me), having just installed 1.3.1 last month.  It may have been there before, but I never noticed. 

So I click it. 

Nothing.

So I click it.   Again and again and again and again.  Then spam click.

Still nothing.

Load my saved game, flip over to my Browser while it's loading.

AHHH Where did all these tabs come from!?!?

14 hours ago, Gargamel said:

So, I usually breeze through the main menu, go straight to load game.

But the other day I noticed the "Addons and mods" button.   That is new (for me), having just installed 1.3.1 last month.  It may have been there before, but I never noticed. 

So I click it. 

Nothing.

So I click it.   Again and again and again and again.  Then spam click.

Still nothing.

Load my saved game, flip over to my Browser while it's loading.

AHHH Where did all these tabs come from!?!?

I think it's  been there since at least 1.0.5 (when I started playing).

On 4/24/2018 at 1:19 PM, Cavscout74 said:

And his playing involved smacking the spacebar, thereby dumping my NERV transfer stage. 

I've been getting into the habit of disabling staging on late-mission decouplers.  That was you either have to stick it on an action group (harder to accidentally hit, or impossible with AGX) or right click on it and decouple manually.

Probably the faceplam-iest thing(s) I've done can be summed up in two (somewhat related) sentences:

1) attempt to launch a tall rocket without any struts

2) attempt to launch a rocket without any fins/control surfaces

You would not BELIEVE how many times my rockets suddenly flip over and head towards the ground. 

My latest series of facepalms were sending up an enormous small by most standards tourist-lifter rocket to dock with the space station - with no RCS.  Several facepalms and reverts later, it was up there and docked -- without the tourists, argh.

Enough is enough, no more reverting, time to own up to my mistakes.  At least it worked as a return craft for the incoming tourists.

Edited by Corona688

49 minutes ago, Corona688 said:

My latest series of facepalms were sending up an enormous small by most standards tourist-lifter rocket to dock with the space station - with no RCS.  Several facepalms and reverts later, it was up there and docked -- without the tourists, argh.

Enough is enough, no more reverting, time to own up to my mistakes.  At least it worked as a return craft for the incoming tourists.

Unless that station is not in LKO then it’s better than that time I sent that base to duna without the base part. Pretty sure I posted a while back.

lolssss

I have a new "best" face palm.

You know how I maintain Kerbal Academy (See signature)?

Accidentally murdered 5/7 contracts in the Beta 2 for v1.2.0. This is gonna take alot of fixing. 

Managed to delete a good bit of the variable definitions that are kinda necessary for the contracts actually working.... Sigh.

Edited by Mark Kerbin