What is your most facepalm-worthy moment regarding KSP?

MaverickSawyer

14 hours ago, Fraston said:

When I was trying to get in orbit around Kerbol, I accidentally pulverized the Jool IV by hitting the Mun at 3000 m/s.

Rip podnie kerman: October 2017- May 2018

;.;

Were you using the brute-force straight up approach? I assume you had the Mun right above you when you launched....

8 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Were you using the brute-force straight up approach? I assume you had the Mun right above you when you launched....

Yeah. At one point this same thing happened to me before, where it was actually easer to orbit Kerbol that to orbit Kerbin.

I turned a little to get to the mun, but ran out of fuel, and *C R U N C H*

I'm writing some quick&dirty tricks for building blimps, but some issues on my rig and KSP made me spend some days debugging.

Now the issues are solved, and I'm "back to business". I opened Paintbrush to edit the screenshots, and then KSP crashed again under my nose!

It took me some serious minutes clicking on the report button until I realize that I was trying to click on a Crash Report SCREENSHOT, that I had edited on Paintbrush yesterday and was auto-opened. =P

jyUTJ6rm4lO6bLmQxc8rFAI-0tFFGujm-dSIrIpT

#sigh

Well, back to business after a break for some coffee.

43 Kerbals...... 43 KERBALS!!!

Which equals 9 flights or so.

From Kerbin, land on the mun, to minmus, land on minmus, back to Kerbin.

And because I'm playing with Final Frontier, I want them all to get the surface EVA badges....

All to get them to level 2.

And now..... I see you only need to orbit, not land on those bodies to get to level 2.....

So much time lost.....

So much everybody out.... everybody in.....

*tear*

22 hours ago, Lisias said:

It took me some serious minutes clicking on the report button until I realize that I was trying to click on a Crash Report SCREENSHOT, that I had edited on Paintbrush yesterday and was auto-opened. =P 

One of my favorite tricks to do to coworkers....  Take a screen shot of their desktop, make the screen shot their background, hide as many icons as you can, hide the taskbar, and then carefully place the unhidden icons directly over the screen shot counterparts.   And watch the fun begin.

Except.... one time IT got involved, and I ran over to tell them what I did, and that I'd fix it.  He mumbled something about a virus and kept working, for two hours.   Turns out he was recovering from a stroke and couldn't handle short term memory very well (he soon retired).   I felt kinda bad for that one. 

9 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

One of my favorite tricks to do to coworkers....  Take a screen shot of their desktop, make the screen shot their background, hide as many icons as you can, hide the taskbar, and then carefully place the unhidden icons directly over the screen shot counterparts.   And watch the fun begin.

I once put a tape on the mouse's optical window from a colleague. That would be funny, except that my boss had bought a identical mouse, he sits on the side of the intended victim and I don't have to explain why I paid for my boss' beer for a month. =P

Well, I just Derp'ed this one up good.

Had to send up a replacement crew to my Minmus orbital station, old crew had already started the journey back.  Sent up the ship, on it's way to Minmus.   That was a few IRL days ago.

Today, It entered SOI a coupe in game hours after a tourist ship did.  The tourist ship did it's orbit and burned for home.  

I then thought the crew ship was also a tourist ship.   Docked to the station to refuel for the return trip, and then they were on their way home too.

It wasn't until I started my reentry burn did I realize who was on the ship, and why.....  "Where are the tourists??  Why are there all these lvl 3 scientists here??  Oh.... "

Sigh....

Edited by Gargamel

I was recently circularizing orbit with a manned craft when I noticed that the satellite attached to the nose was suspiciously lacking in probe control units.  Other than that little detail, though, it was really dressed to the nines.  

[edit: this was shortly after discovering that a resource scanning satellite en route to Minmus has no antenna.  It has the fancy presets, thankfully.  And I do have one crappy relay sat there (HG-5 was my fancy new antenna at the time of its launch so I was slapping them on everything in sight) but apparently it was on the opposite side of the planet or something...]

Edited by FinalFan
Two for one deal on derp

Somewhere at the KSC;

Sir the probe crashed into the Dunaian space center and now we 10 seconds away from nuclear devastation!!!

Minor details Kerbly, minor details.... Now where is my coffee?

;)

Edited by Mark Kerbin

Had a long string of errors recently.

1. Cut a little too close to the mun trying to make rendezvous.  SMACK.  Luckily unmanned.
  2. Cut just a little too close to the station trying to make rendezvous.  SMACK, lost an engine. (Sensing a pattern?)  Had to power up the lander's teeny spark engine to move my tourists the rest of the way.
  3. My entire sausage fest of eco-sensitive self-landing fuel tanks arrived in Minmus orbit empty!  I'll have to send my miner up to rescue them.

The most face palm worthy moment of my KSP career? That's a hard one. It would probably be the day when I landed at Duna, without parachutes. In the end, the base was larger than anticipated, stretched all the way across the crater. Hah, take that Elon Musk! 

4 hours ago, Greenfire32 said:

Back in the early days I was pretty well known for realizing I have no solar panels after reaching orbit.
*sigh*
*revert to assembly*

Mine's similar...many times I've launched a properly equipped payload and sent it on its transfer orbit only to realize that i never extended the solar panels and the batteries were depleted.

1 hour ago, Tyko said:

Mine's similar...many times I've launched a properly equipped payload and sent it on its transfer orbit only to realize that i never extended the solar panels and the batteries were depleted.

I've done that so many times, that now everything unmanned that leaves Kerbin's SOI gets an RTG, whether it needs it or not.

Once, I launched an Eve ascent vehicle to orbit to get to a mothership. The launch vehicle exploded but I managed to get it into orbit and rendezvoused with the mothership extremely heroically...

And then I realized that the docking port had been blown up.

On a similar note, I was launching a Duna lander but forgot the decoupler between it and the upper stage.

Launching 16 tourists that want to orbit the Mun, I make my first Mun landing to satisfy the exploration contract, then I notice that there is no arrow next to the two tourists on the screen.

At some point I removed the hitchhiker pods after adding the tourists and then forgot to put them back in after re-adding the pods, so I went to the mun with 3 empty hitchhiker pods and a bunch of tourists waiting for their ride...

My Best face palm moment (if you call it that) occurred about 4 years ago just before the game went to beta..

I had just finished a re-entry burn and at an altitude of 100 km I jettisoned the service module.. RE-entry occurred normal and just as the vehicle lands (Nearly on the KSP land area.. Guess what comes hurtling out of the sky.. the said Jettisoned Service Module Impacting right on top of the landed on.. of course the crew did survive as the impact caused the capsule e to tumble and then land again..

Talk about scoring a ringer on that one!

Space_Coyote