What is your most facepalm-worthy moment regarding KSP?

MaverickSawyer

I just built a vertical SSTO. Very simple, just a 3 man pod, chute, orange tank and Skipper (or maybe mainsail, I forget the difference). But then I realised the TWR was too low, so I reduced fuel. I thought I might have to burn some on the pad because it still was too heavy. To my surprise, it lifted off pretty fast! I managed to get it into orbit... with 2m/s dV spare. Going back to the VAB, I realised my mistake...

Kerbal Engineer was still on Eve sea level.

So I was doing my first rendezvous / dockingwith a space station, very inexperienced and it seemed like the hardest thing ever to me, anyway, I had currently in orbit a space station, another manned spacecraft (for some reason, I only just brought it back down, it was in orbit for 2 Kerbal years).

I was so focused on getting a close approach that when I was at closest approach I realised I was flying pass the other spacecraft, not the space station.

Edited by RocketSimplicity

Made a Duna probe, lost contact en route to Duna, flew past it without the relay picking it up, and wound up at Jool where I miraculously got a Laythe Gliding Rover (I got fancy with choosing the landing spot on that Rover) to pick it up, then proceeded to realize that I didn't have the battery storage to stop at Laythe in a secure orbit, tried to anyways, met Tylo, and then met the Grinch himself as the probe melted in Jool's atmosphere.

Solar at Jool is a bad idea if it was meant for Duna.

Coming in at a close second was me using my "CommSwarm" launcher to send 14 sats to Eve, realizing the an Eve-Moho window was open, and not noticing that I was on a retrograde Eve elliptical orbit at the time burning on the bright side, and eventually sending 7 satellites to Duna/Ike instead of Moho.

In retrospect, I wish I had done that before my accidental JoolScope + Atmospheric Probe.

On 3/15/2019 at 12:41 PM, TheTripleAce3 said:

Made a Duna probe, lost contact en route to Duna, flew past it without the relay picking it up, and wound up at Jool where I miraculously got a Laythe Gliding Rover (I got fancy with choosing the landing spot on that Rover) to pick it up, then proceeded to realize that I didn't have the battery storage to stop at Laythe in a secure orbit, tried to anyways, met Tylo, and then met the Grinch himself as the probe melted in Jool's atmosphere.

Solar at Jool is a bad idea if it was meant for Duna.

Coming in at a close second was me using my "CommSwarm" launcher to send 14 sats to Eve, realizing the an Eve-Moho window was open, and not noticing that I was on a retrograde Eve elliptical orbit at the time burning on the bright side, and eventually sending 7 satellites to Duna/Ike instead of Moho.

In retrospect, I wish I had done that before my accidental JoolScope + Atmospheric Probe.

O. M. GOSH. THAT'S. UN. FORTUNATE.

13 hours ago, Lein Armweek said:

When the making history expansion got delayed today 

Remember, it's the 'History and Parts Pack'. The reason it's not just called 'Making History' is because it doesn't have the mission builder.

Sorry, I'm just a stickler for accuracy :P

Forgetting Eve Science, which is Stupid, and didn't quicksave, which makes it more Stupid, Science Gain was only 2048.2 with mostly Gilly Science.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a fresh one.

I decided to make another attempt at an Asteroid Redirect Mission using the endgame parts I have finally unlocked (fusion torch drive ftw!) and have... not been having a good time of it. First, I forget to actually charge and light off the engine in advance of the burn, so I have to watch the asteroid go sailing past at over 400 m/s. Then, once I do manage to arrive and grapple the asteroid, the ship starts to wobble back and forth. A few quick autostrut changes manages to put the end to that... But the moment I unlock the pivot on the Klaw to make a fine adjustment to the orientation of the ship relative to the center of mass of the asteroid, it starts to swing into the asteroid.

Then it phases into the asteroid and starts to spin up the whole stack, rock and all, to an appreciable couple dozen rpm. I hit the time warp button to lock it on rails...

And when I return to normal speed, the whole thing explodes with sufficient force to launch the command pod in the general direction of the Sun at ~0.01c. Damndest thing I've seen in years. I mean, I remember the time I made it to Eve, only to summon the NaN Kraken, but...comp26.gif

A little while ago when I had about 50 hours in the game I made a minmus ssto that I got from a youtube video, put ISRU capabilities on it, shoved it onto the top of a rocket and flew it to laythe. I landed at laythe with no fuel left to spare on my ssto so I deployed my drills and started drilling to find that I forgot an ore tank. :rolleyes:

6 hours ago, KosmoNot79 said:

A little while ago when I had about 50 hours in the game I made a minmus ssto that I got from a youtube video, put ISRU capabilities on it, shoved it onto the top of a rocket and flew it to laythe. I landed at laythe with no fuel left to spare on my ssto so I deployed my drills and started drilling to find that I forgot an ore tank. :rolleyes:

That has happened to me so much times.........

11 minutes ago, Ratwerke_Actual said:

Unless there was a change in recent times, an ore tank ( even a tiny one ) is required.

Would appear you are correct... I could have sworn I had run tankless before.  Perhaps I had a mod that somehow made it possible.

Neeeeeverrrmind.

4 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

Would appear you are correct... I could have sworn I had run tankless before.  Perhaps I had a mod that somehow made it possible.

Neeeeeverrrmind.

There is such a mod. Can't recall what it was called, but it basically added a 1u tank to the ISRU.

Most of times, I had facepalms after forgetting to put RCS Thruster Blocks, Solar Panels & Unmanned Command Pod on my Fully Reusable Saturn V replica in form of SSTO rocket, thus the launch vehicle, together with its payload, all left floating near its payload.

Edited by FahmiRBLXian

This happened back in 0.9 or so.  I had a pretty busy career save I was working on but never bothered to manually click and cancel/destroy all the various ejected stages and other space debris that was piling up.  I don't think I knew or used the setting to auto-clean it either.

One of my contracts was to build a space station and I decided to send it all up in one go.  I managed to build a stock launcher that could push nearly 1200 tons and a station that was just aerodynamic enough to make it to orbit.  I hit the apoapsis and was rotating for the circulization burn and then BOOM.  Debris everywhere.  I thought it was the kraken killing my monstrosity, but I caught an oddly named "destroyed" note in the log.  Basically a lottery-winning 1-in-a-billion shot of space junk came out of nowhere and obliterated the station.

7 hours ago, PolecatEZ said:

Basically a lottery-winning 1-in-a-billion shot of space junk came out of nowhere and obliterated the station.

That is the start of kessler syndome right there. I always make sure that any debris i make gets destroyed somehow(or sometimes recovered if i can). I also never terminate debris either. It has gotten to the point at which i get frustrated if the debris somehow survives in a stable orbit(sometimes i even revert flights for this reason alone). Like that time when i was doing an asteroid grab mission in my career save and i had planned on crashing the transfer stage into the asteroid but that didnt work as the asteroid died too. So i had to let it fly onto a wierd solar orbit and i got sad as that was the only debris in the entire save...

The comment in my signature - Seewise Kerman, the first time I tried a Mun landing in career. Built a rocket with enough ∆V to get to and land safely on the Mun, but started the burn too late. Instead of burning retrograde, I aimed straight at the center of the Mun, and halted the vertical descent before lithobraking, but with WAY too much horizontal velocity. Ran out of ∆V before being able to stop, with a mountain ridge coming up fast. Seewise bailed out of the lander and used the EVA thrusters to head up, missing the ridge, only to die a few seconds later when he ran into the taller ridge behind it.