Question about MechJeb2

Davaeron

Hi all.  I was wondering two things about MechJeb 2.   If you engage autopilot, let's say in orbit for your comm satellite  to reach a certain altitude ( ascent guidance I think it is called )  does mechjeb continue to autopilot your craft once you switch to another one or if you go back to KSC ?     And second,  the circularization option  in the ascent guidance...does it try to make your orbit circular ?

Oh and maybe a third quick question.   My comm sat now in orbit, commnet is pointing green lines at random sites on Kerbin that are not KSC or other antenna or relay I have placed.   What sorcery is this ?

1) No. Ships in the background are "on rails" and will continue to go around their orbits, but their orbits cannot be changed. 

2) I don't think so, but I don't know.

3) The Comm net has additional ground stations all around Kerbin. I believe you can turn these off somewhere in the difficulty settings. 

Also a note: Ascent Guidance is for getting your craft to orbit, not on-orbit procedures. Most of the rest of MechJeb is for that. 

Have fun and I hope this helps!

Kerbalstar

1) The ascent guidance shuts off once it's done its job. Also like kerbstar said, background ships are on rails.

2) Yes, basically it tries to make an orbit with 0 eccentricity.

3) Those are stock features, additional ground stations, kind of like how NASA has the Deep space network.

Thank you both for your answers!  Awesome community here.   

Update:  I let the game run for a while as my satellite has only some RCS and a single ion engine.  It was already in an eliptic orbit around Kerbin when I decided to try mechjeb2 fonctionalities.  I set the altitude for geostationary orbit around Kerbin in the ascent guidance and I left uncheck the box " skip circularization" and....

After 30 minures or so it is perfectly geostationary and has a perfect round orbit.  I don't write this to prove any of you wrong as I and have just built my first cargo ssto and there are so much things I do not know about space manoeuvres.  I was focusing a lot on atmospheric plane in sandbox mode.  

I'll have to try the other fonctions of mechjeb and to put the 2 other satellites at equal distance.  

I'm on my phone right now.  I'll post pic in this topic later maybe. 

5 hours ago, Davaeron said:

I'll have to try the other fonctions of mechjeb and to put the 2 other satellites at equal distance. 

You want to make something like the constellation in red bellow? If so, you'll need to use the function "resonant orbit". For 3 satellites you can use 2/3 (faster) or 4/3 (less dV). Rendezvous with the satellite you already have, put the other 2 in a resonant orbit, and circularize at the Ap (for the 2/3) or Pe (for the 4/3), one per orbit. You can also set it a target and use the encounters markers to make it by eye, but will not be very precise.

The mod "station keeping", or the "orbit info" in MJ2 can help you adjust the orbit period to be exactly the same, so they don't lose their sync. If you fell like cheating or are obsessed with perfect numbers, HyperEdit can do everything you'll possible need.

ur7NESZ.png  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.