Sandbox Career "guide"

Slye37

I've always played career mode only since it came out but I've grown tired of the same grind to get to where I want to be and I never seems to get there. So I've decided to start a sandbox game instead but I miss the objectives and structure aspect of career mode. So I've made this "guide" to help me stay on target with my vision of my space program. I thought I might share it with you guys in case someone else was looking for something similar.

Space Program Master Plan
Recommended gameplay mods: 
MKS
USI Life Support
Kerbal Engineer Redux

• Disable stock ground towers.

Downloadable document:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iaYfJTvhPXosoHK8VAbI4jDqzHWkzw56FFeg-rK7FWw/edit?usp=sharing

Project SOL

Section #1:  Conquer the kerbin system!
Colonize the Mun and Minmus with a self sufficient base for 25 kerbals.

SOL-1:
Setup communication network

Spoiler

• Step 1:  Place 2  communication ground towers spreaded out around kerbin.

• Step 2:  Launch a Comsat on an elliptical polar orbit of 20Mkm.

• Step 3:  Launch 3 comsats into geocentric orbit around Kerbin in a perfect triangle formation on a 2863.3 km circular orbit.

• Step 4:  Launch a small chaser comsat to the Mun.

• Step 5:  Launch a small chaser comsat to Minmus.

SOL-2:
Survey the land

Spoiler

• Step 1:  Launch a Scansat in a polar orbit around Kerbin and scan for resources.

• Step 2:  Launch a Scansat in a polar orbit on the Mun and scan for resources.

• Step 3:  Launch a Scansat in a polar orbit of Minmus and scan for  resources.

SOL-3:
Build an Industrial support infrastructure

Spoiler

• Step 1:  Build a  space terminal in space around Kerbin on a 500k equatorial orbit with fuel storage module and docking ports of all sizes.  Have enough room to park 1 Large freighter, 2 shuttles, 2 emergency landers.  Have enough room and life  support for a permanent crew of 5.  Plan for future module addition to support colonist transfer.

• Step 2:  Build a storage depot around the Mun capable or storing decent amounts of every resources found in the Mun resource survey.  Be able  to dock a large freighter, a resource transport a shuttle and 2 Emergency Landers. Must have fuel storage and plan for future colonist  transfer module and support a permanent crew of 3.

• Step 3:  Build a similar station around Minmus.

SOL-4:
Build the industrial fleet

Spoiler

• Step 1:  Build a freighter capable of hauling large amounts of resources in space  around kerbin and its moons.  Design this ship to be able to dock to all 3 stations

• Step 2:  Build a shuttle capable of carrying 5 kerbals and life-support  supplies between Kerbin and all the stations.

• Step 3:  Design a compact 5 man emergency landing ship for kerbin, Mun ,  Minmus and dock them to each stations.

SOL-5:

Finding the perfect spots

Spoiler

• Step 1:  Pick a rough area for a mining outpost on the Mun with the Scansat data.

• Step 2:  Send a rover to survey the potential site.

• Step 3:  Send a team of 3 to the potential site to pick a nice flat spot with plenty if resources to mine.  Include a Lunar vehicle for 3 kerbals. Return with some samples of resources.

• Step 4:  Setup a large radio tower at the site to insure reliable communication with kerbin.

• Step 5:  Build an efficient mining operation on the Mun.

• Step 6:  Pick a rough area for a mining outpost on Minmus with the Scansat data.

• Step 7:  Send a rover to survey the potential site.

• Step 8:  Send a team of 3 to the potential site to pick a nice flat spot with plenty if resources to mine.  Include a Lunar vehicle for 3 kerbals. Return with some samples of resources.

• Step 9:  Setup a large radio tower at the site to insure reliable communication with kerbin.

• Step 10:  Build an efficient mining operation on Minmus.

SOL-6:
Colonize the moons of Kerbin

Spoiler
  • Step 1:  Establish a fully sustainable MKS colony on the Mun to support a  community of 25 Kerbals.

• Step 2:  Establish a fully sustainable MKS colony on Minmus to support a  community of 25 Kerbals.

Project VULCAN

Section 2:  Destination Duna

Goal:  Establish a mining outpost, a manufacturing facility and living habitation for a 25 Kerbal Colony On Duna.

VULCAN-1:
Set up Communication network

Spoiler

• Part 1:  Send 4 Comsats and one moon chaser satellite to a equatorial orbit of Duna. 

• Part 2:  3 Comsats in a semi- synchronous equatorial orbit, triangle formation, at an altitude of 1695.87 with an orbital period of 9.1hr.

• Part 3:  Put the 4th Comsat in a highly elliptical polar orbit with a Ap of at least 20 Mkm and a 100km Pe.

• Part 4:  Send the moon chaser Comsat to Ike on the same orbit as Ike but following the moon from a few million km distance to provide coverage on the far side.

VULCAN-2:
Do the research

Spoiler
  • Step 1:  Send a Scansats to a polar orbit of Duna to scan for resources and possible mining sites.

• Step 2:  Send a Scansats to a polar orbit of Ike to scan for resources and possible mining sites.

VULCAN-3:
Location location location!

Spoiler

• Step 1:  Select a Duna landing site that looks promising for a base that will have a mining module, a manufacturing facility and living quarters for 25 kerbals.

• Step 2:  Send a rover to Explore base location site you've chosen with the satellite data.

• Step 3:  Select a good spot for a small mining expedition on Ike if you find resources not available on Duna.(optional)

VULCAN-4:
Beep!!

Spoiler

• Step 1:  Send a radio tower at the future Duna base site you have selected for optimal communication.

• Step 2:  If you choose to make a mining outpost on Ike also, send a radio tower to that site as well.(optional)

VULCAN-5:
Engineering and preparation

Spoiler
  • Step 1:  Design a Mothership capable of transporting a 5 kerbals along with all the necessary support vessels and plenty of supplies to Duna. Include Storage for all resources found in Ike and Duna. This ship will act as a space base around Duna so make sure you have docking ports for 2 transport ships, 1 shuttle for 5 kerbals and 1 Emergency landing pods for 5 kerbals.  Also include a refinery to make your own fuel as this ship will not be able to land.  Park in in a 100km equatorial orbit of Kerbin.

VULCAN-6:
Moar ships! And Bon voyage

Spoiler

• Step 1:  Time to make a fleet of utility vessels for Duna and Ike. We need one shuttle capable of traveling 5 kerbals from Duna to orbit and back to the surface for crew exchanges. We also need one transport ship to travel resources from Ike to the Mothership and another for traveling resources from Duna to the Mothership.

• Step 2:  When all the ships are ready, dock them all to the Mother ship in orbit of Kerbin and set sail for Duna with a crew of 5 kerbals

VULCAN-7:
Hi ho! Hi ho!

Spoiler

• Step 1:  Set up a mining outpost on Duna

• Step 2:  Set up a mining outpost on Ike if you chose to mine from Ike also.(optional)

VULCAN-8:

Building the Duna base

Spoiler
  • Step 1:  Set up a MKS manufacturing facility and living quarters for  25 Kerbals on Duna

VULCAN-9:
Stocking up

Spoiler
  • Step 1:  Transport 25 kerbals future Duna colonist  from Kerbin to the Kerbin Terminal in Orbit.

VULCAN-10:
It's happening!

Spoiler
  • Step 1:  Build an interplanetary colony ship that can hold 25 kerbals and their life support supplies for the trip to the Duna Station.

VULCAN-11:
Gentlemen, man your stations

Spoiler
  • Step 1:  Ferry your colonists down to the Duna base with the Duna Shuttle.

Edited by Slye37
Format cleanup

I like this idea, and I might try it.  My KSP career has largely been in sandbox mode, and on the occasions I've fired up a save on career mode, I've gotten bogged down in the science grind that happens after I land on the Mun first time.  I like variety and landing five missions on the Mun just to unlock some parts never appealed to me.

I'm currently doing something similar but in actual career mode. My actual end goal is quite similar tough: setting up self sufficient bases on as many celestial bodies as possible. And also "almost" self sufficient orbital bases here and there where I only would haul colony supplies and fertilizer from the self sufficient base on the surface every now and then. 

I'm still in the process of gathering science to unlock all parts needed to actually build good bases but that shouldnt take long now that I have my first interplanetary mothership with enough living space and life support for duna and eve system trips at least

Edited by tseitsei89

Very nice work here. :D

I'm not sure of the utility of a large comms tower on Minmus. Mun and Ike are tidally locked, so hitting a single chaser sat is much easier (and makes sense for farside bases).

A pair of opposed polar sats would make more sense for Minmus.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.