[1.3 - 1.8.1] Decoupler Shroud

navot

I added a decoupler shroud to a decoupler below a heatshield which was rescaled with TweakScale (the decoupler was not rescaled).

On decoupling this was written to the log:

Jettison called on DecouplerShroud of decoupler.ftr.small

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at DecouplerShroud.ModuleDecouplerShroud.Jettison () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at DecouplerShroud.ModuleDecouplerShroud.onShroudedPartChanged () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at DecouplerShroud.ModuleDecouplerShroud.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename:  Line: -1)

btw the decoupler was not automatically, I decreased the height of it to fit better.

On 10/13/2018 at 10:41 PM, Gordon Dry said:

I added a decoupler shroud to a decoupler below a heatshield which was rescaled with TweakScale (the decoupler was not rescaled).

On decoupling this was written to the log:

Jettison called on DecouplerShroud of decoupler.ftr.small

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at DecouplerShroud.ModuleDecouplerShroud.Jettison () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at DecouplerShroud.ModuleDecouplerShroud.onShroudedPartChanged () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at DecouplerShroud.ModuleDecouplerShroud.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename:  Line: -1)

btw the decoupler was not automatically, I decreased the height of it to fit better.

I tried reproducing this, but the problem didn't happen when I put a decoupler below a tweakscaled heatshield and decoupled. Can you provide some more detailed instructions to reproduce this bug?

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

Is it possible to add TU shader configs to the shrouds?

At the moment it isn't, since the shader is hardcoded. Funnily enough, I started working on supporting changing the shader in the configs earlier this week, but I still have to figure out how to access the TU shaders. So this feature might come in the near future.

• 3 weeks later...

@navot I'm trying to see if I can clean up some of my warnings and found below from this mod.

[WRN 11:30:28.163] [ModuleManager] more than one :HAS tag detected, ignoring all but the first: DecouplerShroud/DecouplerShroud/@PART[*]:FOR[DecouplerShroud]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleDecouple]]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleDecouplerShroud]]

I believe it should be

@PART[*]:FOR[DecouplerShroud]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleDecouple],!MODULE[ModuleDecouplerShroud]] (I think anyway)

On 11/23/2018 at 7:21 PM, Critter79606 said:

@navot I'm trying to see if I can clean up some of my warnings and found below from this mod.

[WRN 11:30:28.163] [ModuleManager] more than one :HAS tag detected, ignoring all but the first: DecouplerShroud/DecouplerShroud/@PART[*]:FOR[DecouplerShroud]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleDecouple]]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleDecouplerShroud]]

I believe it should be

@PART[*]:FOR[DecouplerShroud]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleDecouple],!MODULE[ModuleDecouplerShroud]] (I think anyway)

Thanks for pointing it out, and you are correct. It has already been fixed on the GitHub page, but I didn't make a release that has the changes yet.

• 3 weeks later...

this mod, or a combination of it and another, led to some weird effects. mainly the add shroud button was reversed. so if you wanted it off, it was on, and if you wanted it on, it was off. which made adding a shroud impossible. when i removed the mod, everything was back to normal. *shrug*

22 hours ago, dresoccer4 said:

this mod, or a combination of it and another, led to some weird effects. mainly the add shroud button was reversed. so if you wanted it off, it was on, and if you wanted it on, it was off. which made adding a shroud impossible. when i removed the mod, everything was back to normal. *shrug*

It's most likely a conflict since it's not happening to everyone. Just test with other mods that might conflict with this one until you find the one that does. 

I just keep a second KSP install called KSP_TEST and use that to test conflicts. Install ModuleManager and DeCouplerShroud then add other mods one at a time until you find the one that's causing the conflict.

KSP loads pretty quick with only a couple mods, so this process can be fast. You can also usually save time by testing the mods most liikely to conflict first - since you're having a part issue your conflict is probably caused by another mod that messes with parts.

• 4 weeks later...

There's a conflict between this mod and ThorTech.  The problem is that ThorTech adds a custom ablator module to all parts, which triggers the exclusion patch in this pack.  I’ve solved it in my game by changing the exclusion to:

@PART[HeatShield*,InflatableHeatShield]:NEEDS[DecouplerShroud]:AFTER[DecouplerShroud]

However that of course doesn't cover third-party heat shields that might have a decoupler.  I'm willing to put up with that.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2019 at 4:57 PM, DStaal said:

There's a conflict between this mod and ThorTech.  The problem is that ThorTech adds a custom ablator module to all parts, which triggers the exclusion patch in this pack.  I’ve solved it in my game by changing the exclusion to:

@PART[HeatShield*,InflatableHeatShield]:NEEDS[DecouplerShroud]:AFTER[DecouplerShroud]

However that of course doesn't cover third-party heat shields that might have a decoupler.  I'm willing to put up with that.

Thank you for handing me that bug on a silver platter :)! I finally got around to putting your fix in the mod.

15 hours ago, navot said:

Thank you for handing me that bug on a silver platter :)! I finally got around to putting your fix in the mod.

I run something like 200 mods - by the time I'd identified it for certain, I had the info...   ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not understanding something about the aerodynamics here - or anyway I assume it must be the aerodynamics. I'm on KSP 1.6.1 in case that matters as I do recall some significant changes in stock aero a few versions back. Had an early-game simple craft mostly to get a bunch of science from the flying high regime. Jeb in a MK1 command pod above a service bay (for most of the science instruments) above a materials bay (aka science Jr), a decoupler and a hammer to boost it all. Almost all stock stuff except for a Kerbal Engineering system module for monitoring expected apoapsis. When flown straight up it accelerates to 810 m/s and then coasts up to 38.3 km. I usually have something along these lines very early in career. This time I had a contract to test a 0.625 m heat shield splashed down, so I figured I'd throw that in on the same flight. Oops. The small resulting gap caused to much drag that I didn't make it into the flying high regime; didn't even make it to 10km altitude, much less 20. Seemed like a decoupler shroud should be just the thing to close that gap. But turning on the shroud made only a small difference in performance. This lead to experiment a fair amount. I took out the tiny heat shield so that no shroud was needed. Verified that Jeb was able to fly to 38.3 km. Reverted to the VAB and did nothing but turn on the shroud, which wasn't actually needed, but I turned it on anyway. The auto-sizing wanted to shroud my materials bay, so I went manual and cut the shroud size down as small as allowed (.01m height) so there's practically nothing to the shroud. Jen can't fly past 11 km. Revert and turn the shroud off and he can go to 38.3 km again. Something about having the shroud turned on at all seems to be killing the performance.

18 minutes ago, rmaine said:

I'm not understanding something about the aerodynamics here - or anyway I assume it must be the aerodynamics. I'm on KSP 1.6.1 in case that matters as I do recall some significant changes in stock aero a few versions back. Had an early-game simple craft mostly to get a bunch of science from the flying high regime. Jeb in a MK1 command pod above a service bay (for most of the science instruments) above a materials bay (aka science Jr), a decoupler and a hammer to boost it all. Almost all stock stuff except for a Kerbal Engineering system module for monitoring expected apoapsis. When flown straight up it accelerates to 810 m/s and then coasts up to 38.3 km. I usually have something along these lines very early in career. This time I had a contract to test a 0.625 m heat shield splashed down, so I figured I'd throw that in on the same flight. Oops. The small resulting gap caused to much drag that I didn't make it into the flying high regime; didn't even make it to 10km altitude, much less 20. Seemed like a decoupler shroud should be just the thing to close that gap. But turning on the shroud made only a small difference in performance. This lead to experiment a fair amount. I took out the tiny heat shield so that no shroud was needed. Verified that Jeb was able to fly to 38.3 km. Reverted to the VAB and did nothing but turn on the shroud, which wasn't actually needed, but I turned it on anyway. The auto-sizing wanted to shroud my materials bay, so I went manual and cut the shroud size down as small as allowed (.01m height) so there's practically nothing to the shroud. Jen can't fly past 11 km. Revert and turn the shroud off and he can go to 38.3 km again. Something about having the shroud turned on at all seems to be killing the performance.

I think a few pics of the craft in the various configurations would likely help a lot.

@rmaine It's quite possible that there are some issues with the way the mod handles the aerodynamics. What it's doing at the moment is calling a function to generate Drag Cubes, which the game uses for it's simulation. I think I found the name of the function digging through the procedural parts of fairings mod. I'm not sure if the drag cubes that are generated are correct, or what they should ideally look like, but I'll try looking into it.

24 minutes ago, DStaal said:

I think a few pics of the craft in the various configurations would likely help a lot.

Was afraid someone would suggest that; means I'll have to figure out how. :-) Ok, got it, though I was slowed down by seeing no obvious response so I thought the screenshot wasn't happening. Argh. And now I have screenshots but don't see how to readily insert them in this post. I put them in my public dropbox folder and inserted links to them there; have to see if that works.

43 minutes ago, DStaal said:

Below are screenshots of a "good" configuration (flies to 38km) and the same thing with the only change being a miniscule shroud turned on (flies to 11km). You'd probably have trouble seeing the difference if I didn't show the configuration menu in the shrouded one. Of course, I close the service bay before flying, but I have it open here so you can see more.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lsnsavliwu22vy8/screenshot0.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lf2xumqxwmu7pln/screenshot1.png?dl=0

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Dmack1470 said:

I downloaded this mod for 1.6.1 and none of the customizable textures for the shroud shows up. Is there a way to fix this?

The most likely reason for this not working is that you either didn't install the mod correctly, or you have some conflicting mods (I don't know of any at the moment).

How did you install the mod? Through CKAN or manually? If you installed it manually, did you also install ModuleManager? Do you use other mods?

1 hour ago, navot said:

The most likely reason for this not working is that you either didn't install the mod correctly, or you have some conflicting mods (I don't know of any at the moment).

How did you install the mod? Through CKAN or manually? If you installed it manually, did you also install ModuleManager? Do you use other mods?

I downloaded it manually. And also yes I have module manager and a few visual mods. 

• 3 weeks later...