[1.3 - 1.8.1] Decoupler Shroud

navot

On 5/23/2019 at 1:09 AM, Vince_K said:

I love this mod but if someone can make a texture pack to match with restock, it would be great. thank you :)

I came here looking for just that. Can't seem to find anything sadly :(

ReStock textures for this would make it perfect. 

• 3 weeks later...

Got a weird one. I've used this mod on my PC and my old Mac. Got a new Mac and installed KSP and this mod (plus a few others), but for some reason the textures all come up grey, except the metallic one looks correct. All other functions work, just no textures. Checked my folders and everything is where it's supposed to be, even reinstalled mod to be sure.

Anyone have any ideas? Again, running on OSX.

6 minutes ago, lieutenat dan said:

Got a weird one. I've used this mod on my PC and my old Mac. Got a new Mac and installed KSP and this mod (plus a few others), but for some reason the textures all come up grey, except the metallic one looks correct. All other functions work, just no textures. Checked my folders and everything is where it's supposed to be, even reinstalled mod to be sure.

Anyone have any ideas? Again, running on OSX.

I'm not sure what could cause that. Could you check if this also happens with a clean install and only DecouplerShroud and ModuleManager installed?

48 minutes ago, IronKerbal said:

@navotIm Playing in RSS/RO, When I build Really massive rockets, there is a 20m Height Limit for the shroud. I dont find any limit .cfg anywhere. It would be awesome if you could tell me how to modify the height limit or remove/change it directly. Thank you :)

I hard-coded the 20m some time ago because I thought who would need anything larger; that would be ridiculous... But I forgot this is a mod for KSP  :D 

I changed it to infinity. You can download the new version from GitHub and scale the shroud to your heart's content!

Out of curiosity, are there engines that large, or do you cover multiple parts?

@navotThanks :)  In RSS/RO I use a custom config M-1A engine, its 5m wide and 15m tall I also use smaller engines sometimes.  Stuff like the SLS, Saturn are just massive compared to stock ksp.  I tried procedural fairings for a interstage, its just too thick, the thickness cant be adjusted. This is one amazing mod.
Maybe you could include a default checkers texture? I created a custom texture and config.

Edited by IronKerbal

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2019 at 2:06 PM, madindehead said:

ReStock textures for this would make it perfect. 

Long time user of this mod. Love it! 

Here's an official "second" for someone/anyone who knows how to make stuff to go ahead and make ReStock textures work with this. Please?!

Hopefully someone can follow these directions more closely that myself (barely-technically-literate-KSP-user as I am)

On 4/17/2019 at 7:40 AM, navot said:

Here is the short version of how to create a texture pack:

•  Create a new folder in your GameData folder with the name of your texture pack
  • Put any texture you want to use in the folder
  • Create a .cfg file for every texture in the folder
    1. Copy one of the standard configs from DecouplerShroud/Textures/TextureConfigs (I'd recommend TexDark.cfg for the simple version, if you want to see some variables TexDefault.cfg)
    2. Change the name to something unique
    3. Change any parameters you want.
    4. This step really should be elaborated more, but that'll be it for now. If you have questions or feature requests feel free to ask
  • Here are some pointers for creating cfg files for the github version
    • If you just want to switch the texture, "texture = _MainTex" is the color texture and "texture = _BumpMap" is for the normal map. Change the path to a file in your texture pack folder
    • The v = 2 tells the program that it is a config using features of the Decoupler Shroud version currently on github.
    • The base = default means you start off with the default texture config file and only the parameters that are given in your config file will be changed. This way you have to copy and paste less.
    • The MaterialVariant regions are only used, if the specified shader is available. This way you can set different parameters if Textures Unlimited is installed, or the KSP version has the new shiny shader
  • If you want to make a texture pack for the current version, look at the way Basic Procedural Textures changes the configs

Edited by scottadges

I did read something about this elsewhere - procedural textures (which is how decoupler shrouds like these work) are apparently quite complex to do cleanly. Unless you make a specific texture for each part (like the stock/ReStock ones) then it will never be as detailed. Can't remember where I read it, but it may have been in the Procedural Fairings thread. 

On 9/14/2019 at 2:46 AM, IronKerbal said:

Hey, @navotI think you frogot to disable the Limit on the ShroudedDecoupler Part

The change was independent of the part, and for me it works fine on the ShroudedDecoupler Part

On 9/14/2019 at 8:21 PM, jaunco325 said:

It does not work for me:

https://prnt.sc/p64ue5

What am I doing wrong?

The default option for the mod is to use the Stock shrouds. To use the decoupler to generate a shroud, you need to right click on the decoupler in question and enable it there.

On 9/23/2019 at 4:20 AM, scottadges said:

Long time user of this mod. Love it! 

Here's an official "second" for someone/anyone who knows how to make stuff to go ahead and make ReStock textures work with this. Please?!

Hopefully someone can follow these directions more closely that myself (barely-technically-literate-KSP-user as I am)

To add to those instructions, here is a small example of a custom texture pack, and here is some documentation of the config files.

• 3 weeks later...

Heya! Love this mod, love it dearly.
Slight problem has arisen for me in 1.8.
shroud.png
Is this just me (and my jillion mods)?

If anybody else has encountered this, and found a fix, I'd much appreciate if you could share it. If anybody uses Decoupler Shrouds with 1.8 and this problem doesn't occur, I'd also much appreciate knowing it.

1 hour ago, DerGolgo said:

Heya! Love this mod, love it dearly.
Slight problem has arisen for me in 1.8.
shroud.png
Is this just me (and my jillion mods)?

If anybody else has encountered this, and found a fix, I'd much appreciate if you could share it. If anybody uses Decoupler Shrouds with 1.8 and this problem doesn't occur, I'd also much appreciate knowing it.

@Lisias ran into the same problem with Tweakscale. He MIGHT know how to fix it. In the meantime, no Decoupler Shroud for 1.8

6 hours ago, ansaman said:

@Lisias ran into the same problem with Tweakscale. He MIGHT know how to fix it. In the meantime, no Decoupler Shroud for 1.8

Sadly, for now I now how NOT to fix it. :sticktongue:

In a nutshell, UI_ChooseOption, UI_FloatEdit, UI_ScaleEdit and UI_FloatRange controls are kaput. All of them. Easy workarounds are not possible, some probable dependencies are long gone by now and rewriting them from zero was estimated on 250 man/hours I had read on a foirum. My working days timeframe are very restrict, so that approach can took some time. :D

I'm trying a temporary hack for ones in need to have things working until Squad fix that controls (assuming they will, the bug #24014 was classified as "Low" the last time I saw it. (affected people can up vote the bug! please vote!)

Edited by Lisias
Correcting an information

1 hour ago, DerGolgo said:

Upvoted.
Dang.
Tweakscale is definitely one of my top 5 favorite mods, and Decoupler Shrouds probably makes top 10. I'd be very sad to loose them.

You will not loose them for sure. What we don't know is when we will have the fix. But we will have the fix - the worst case scenario is rewiring the UI to use the Widgets/PAWs/whatever that are working. But this is something I would like to avoid for obvious reasons - the components we were using are way more convenient for what we were using them.

Right now, we lost the ability to use floats on the UI controls, apparently.

Edited by Lisias
Hit "save" too soon.

Dang. Wish I had paid a little more attention in object-oriented C++ at uni. And I guess most of the game is really just a fancy database application?

Well, I'm retired, on a disability pension. On the days when I can get some work done, for some hours, neither of which are predictable, mind, I shall announce myself available to testdrive pre-release builds on saves I'm not particularly attached to. Might even set up a vanilla game, just for that purpose.

That goes for Tweakscale, @Lisias, and for Decoupler Shrouds (are the best schrouds!), @navot. Here's your christmas tree, hang all your mad schemes on me, let's see what sticks.

The thought occurs. While our beloved mods here were out of order, some seemed to be working fine-ish. The buttons, in any case, appeared where they should, for the purpose, and seemed to do what they should. The mod I'm talking about that I observed this with was the tank-decoupler one, where every tank can become a decoupler if it just believes in itself and works hard.

So, here's my mad fever dream. What if, rather than making all the sliders for manual shrouding appear in the requisite part's info-box, they could appear in a second box? Press a button, separate box opens, with the sliders for the shroud.
One of the many, many, many, many modes I have interned in my main install, it lets me change the constituent components in tanks, turn a hydrogen can into a battery with sewage space.
Could a separate menu box be built that would handle all the shrouding of a decoupler, independent of the part's info box?

Could such, perhaps, be achieved for Tweakscale even, @Lisias? Instead of baiting our breaths as we wait for Squad's surely imminent bugfix, eschew the kaput bits entirely, and build our own damn settings boxes. With blackjack and hookers!

Edited by DerGolgo
Reason for edit? No, reason for all! Reason for the masses, not just the classes!