[1.3 - 1.8.1] Decoupler Shroud

navot

9 hours ago, navot said:

If by crash you meant make the part unclickable, then it still happens in 0.3...

Hmm.  I had a similar issue with one of the Feline Utility Rovers saddlebag parts.  They (and the side-mounted engines in that pack) might be worth looking at as well.

(I'll do a closer look next time I fire up KSP.)

One of the most usefull mods and of the most elegant way to shroud things in KSP... But I can't really use it because of a bugging issue: for a lot of parts from other mods (especially parts you clip on ends, like escape towers or nose cones), the fixing node disappear after cliking the part ont it, but the part is kind of wielded on the overhall construction, so you you can't do anything but delete all the the assembly (and I'm really sorry for my bad bad english, ask me precisions if needed)...

On 2/18/2018 at 4:57 AM, DStaal said:

Hmm.  I had a similar issue with one of the Feline Utility Rovers saddlebag parts.  They (and the side-mounted engines in that pack) might be worth looking at as well.

Are you still having these issues? If so, could you be more specific about what parts you are talking about (which are the saddlebag parts)? Also, the side mounted engines I found don't have a bottom attach node, so how do you want to use the decoupler shroud there?

On 2/18/2018 at 7:43 PM, Baked Bean said:

Hi, Love the mod found a small bug. Conflicts with Engine Light Mod. Creats a blinding white light from decouplers. Edited Engine Light's decouple config to disable MM loading config and this stops the bright light.

Does this only happen when decoupling or all the time? Is it supposed to flash when decoupling or not? If it is bright all the time, could you send me a screenshot of the light? I don't know how your rocket looks, or how you caused this issue, and for my test rocket it looks fine during flight.

@Rawenwarcrow Thanks for the message, but can you tell me a specific case where this happens (part + mod name), maybe with a screenshot? Also are you using v0.2 or 0.3?

On 2/21/2018 at 3:06 PM, Teilnehmer said:
  • When copying some parts, the shrouds get buggy.
  • Engine shrouds automatically appear when switching off decoupler shrouds.
  • I guess the meshes also get copied or something, I will look into it
  • Engine shrouds automatically get turned off and on, depending whether you turn the decoupler shroud on or off. I will change it to check whether the engine shroud was active or not before turning on the decoupler shroud, and don't turn it on if it was already off, but I think I should leave turning off the engine shroud when activating the decoupler shroud in
Edited by navot

2 hours ago, navot said:

Are you still having these issues? If so, could you be more specific about what parts you are talking about (which are the saddlebag parts)? Also, the side mounted engines I found don't have a bottom attach node, so how do you want to use the decoupler shroud there?

Honestly, I haven't had a chance to load up KSP and check since that post.  I'm not 100% sure there actually is a problem - but I had a moment of behavior that matched what was being described, and thought it was worth mentioning in case someone wants to check.  (And as a reminder to myself.)

By saddlebag parts I meant the three different side-mount storage containers in that mod.  I only noticed the effect with one, but I hadn't even looked at the rest.

(Note that I was doing something extremely weird with them at the time - I was trying to use them as a decoupler because the payload I'd designed didn't have a stack-mount point, and a radial attachment point would have been ugly on the final station that the payload was designed to attach to.  I'm not sure it would have worked, and I'll have to re-load that craft to see.)

6 hours ago, navot said:

@Rawenwarcrow Thanks for the message, but can you tell me a specific case where this happens (part + mod name), maybe with a screenshot? Also are you using v0.2 or 0.3?

@navot  I'm using 0.2 (I'll try the 0.3 when I can), and it was with example with escape towers (stock or from pebkac); same problem with some surface attachement part, like OPT Legacy droptanks; sorry, no screens... When you click to clip the part, it becomes red but is kinda wielded to the base part, and you have to erase the whole thing... I'll tell you if it's fixed with the 0.3 release :) 

@Teilnehmer The issue with copying the shroud should be fixed now (v0.3.1). I also don't turn on the engine shroud if it's been turned off before activating the decoupler shroud. However, there are still ways to get around it (for example the info does not get copied when copying parts)

@Psycho_zs I didn't do anything to this point to make this mod compatible with FAR. I'll see if I can find some code showing how to do that, but can't promise FAR compatibility in the near future, as I am a bit busy at the moment...

Hey @navot! ^_^  So I tried both 0.3 and 0.3.1; the vanishing nodes issue was no longer here in 0.3, but came back in 0.3.1. I hope this will help you, 'cause I really like your mod, it's really usefull :)
Thanks, keep up the good work :wink: 

Edit: I should precise one of the tests I do to confirm the issue: in the mod B9 HX, I take the part named "HX1-UH Hollow Structural Module", then try to attach "HX Hangar Aerodynamic Shield" to it. With 0.2 ans 0.3.1 releases of your mod, the attachement node disappear, and this last part turn to red, as if I just let it aside from the rest, even if it's still attached to my cursor (hopefully, it'll be understandable...). Same with the Squad LES part.

Edited by Rawenwarcrow
New information

I have found a incompatibility with Feline Rovers: 

It has tanks and engines that are radially attached and have built-in decouplers. These parts gets all messed up with this mod. I guess it's a simple MM line for the mod don't apply on these parts.

I'm also getting a weird bug when attaching decouplers to the medium antenna in the mod bellow, but I haven't time to isolate them and do a proper test. Will report again when I do. The problem occurs when attaching it "upside down" on the top node of the antenna (I do this to make clusters and release them in the proper orbits).

Edited by MaximumThrust

7 hours ago, MaximumThrust said:

It has tanks and engines that are radially attached and have built-in decouplers. These parts gets all messed up with this mod. I guess it's a simple MM line for the mod don't apply on these parts.

I comfirmed this issue for myself as well - And want to note that as it stands with both mods simply trying to place one of those parts in creates a high likelihood of corrupting the .craft file, which will mean you cannot load *any* saved craft into that editor or launchpad.  Solution is to remove the damaged .craft file from the save.  (While KSP is shut down, of course.)

On 2/26/2018 at 11:27 AM, DStaal said:

I comfirmed this issue for myself as well - And want to note that as it stands with both mods simply trying to place one of those parts in creates a high likelihood of corrupting the .craft file, which will mean you cannot load *any* saved craft into that editor or launchpad.  Solution is to remove the damaged .craft file from the save.  (While KSP is shut down, of course.)

I tested the JX2Antenna mod without this mod, and the decouplers worked just fine. This part don't have any built-in decoupler , so it's another cause to the same bug. It can also trash a .craft file.

Well, I guess this mod ins't safe :/ Which is a pity, because the idea is really great. I had designs/parts that counted on it to work.

Hope this can be fixed!

@linuxgurugamer in case you are running out of mods to contribute :D

8 hours ago, DStaal said:

It's a fairly new mod that alters some complex behaviors - these are just teething issues.  :wink:  (And there's at least one way to fix them already - opt the parts out of the MM script.)

For the parts with built-in decouplers, for sure. But this isn't the only problem, some parts refuses to get any decoupler attached to them with this mod, like in the video above. I hope this gets fixed, but I won't risk for now.

First off, thank you all for the detailed reports!

I was able to reproduce and fix most of these issues in v0.3.2!
I forgot to check whether the collider on a part is a mesh collider, which caused errors with parts that had box colliders (or any other type of collider).

I also remove the decoupler shroud from decouplers that don't have a top node. This is an attempt to filter out parts like the radially attached engines with built in decoupler from Feline Utility Rovers

On 2/26/2018 at 7:30 AM, MaximumThrust said:

I'm also getting a weird bug when attaching decouplers to the medium antenna in the mod bellow, but I haven't time to isolate them and do a proper test. Will report again when I do. The problem occurs when attaching it "upside down" on the top node of the antenna (I do this to make clusters and release them in the proper orbits).

I was unable to reproduce this issue. I think it's not the antenna that caused this, but the part below. If you can remember which part it was, let me know, but I think it was probably also the box collider bug that caused this and should be fixed, but it's better to be sure :)

1 hour ago, navot said:

First off, thank you all for the detailed reports!

I was able to reproduce and fix most of these issues in v0.3.2!
I forgot to check whether the collider on a part is a mesh collider, which caused errors with parts that had box colliders (or any other type of collider).

I also remove the decoupler shroud from decouplers that don't have a top node. This is an attempt to filter out parts like the radially attached engines with built in decoupler from Feline Utility Rovers

I was unable to reproduce this issue. I think it's not the antenna that caused this, but the part below. If you can remember which part it was, let me know, but I think it was probably also the box collider bug that caused this and should be fixed, but it's better to be sure :)

Thanks! I was not simple bashing the mod, I really want to use it.

I was having this bug with some parts, but I thought was "Part Angle Display", because I installed the two together. After removing "Part Angle Display", it persisted. The only part I clear remember was the Antenna.

Some pictures (did a 1.3.1 clean install with only the two mods):

Trying to attach any decoupler this way:
1.jpg

Them I simple lost the attach point:
2.jpg

I can still discard the part. If I click again anywhere near the craft, it become stuck there. 
3.jpg

If I move the Antenna, the decoupler go with it. And the .craft file becomes corrupted.
4.jpg

I tested again with the last version in Spacedock (0.3.2) and everything seems to work fine now (in the view of the end user).

This was the bug with the colliders that get fixed?

Thanks again and congratulations for this great mod.