[1.3 - 1.8.1] Decoupler Shroud

navot

1rEL6jR.jpg       y73gJFX.png

This mod adds the ability to have shrouds of all sizes, to fill the whole space between tank and decoupler.
By default, the stock shrouds are used. For custom shroud, right click on the decoupler you want and enable it.
If the automatic size detection fails, you can disable it and set the size of the shroud manually

This mod should be compatible with KSP 1.3.0 to the current version
supports FAR

Requires Module Manager

Download: https://spacedock.info/mod/1692/Decoupler Shroud
Source: https://github.com/nav0t/DecouplerShroud/
License: MIT

Custom Textures:

You can add your own textures to the texture selector by making your own texture pack.
Here is a small example on how to create your own texture pack, and here is some documentation of the config files.

You can also use a community texture pack:

Edited by navot

Hi @navot, and thank you for contributing your mod!  :)

Please update your post above, though, to include a statement of the license.  (This is needed per the add-on posting rules.)  I see that you've already indicated it as MIT license on your Spacedock download and github site, so all you need to do here is just add a line that says "License: MIT" and you should be good to go!

Thanks,
Snark

1 minute ago, DeltaDizzy said:

Im already thinking of an MM patch to add this to more parts. If used correctly...

INSTANT ADAPTORS

I'm not sure I understand what you are talking about? I'm already adding this to all parts with a decoupler, or do you want to add this to parts other than that?

@navot, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, and thank you!

I like my rockets to "look right", so I often spend an inordinate amount of time trying to find a conic bit for an adapter, or fiddling with fairings or procedural fairings. Driving up part count and all that. This is one I've really been waiting for! Thank you!

P.S.: Thank you!

40 minutes ago, Psycho_zs said:

What does the algoritm do? Hops over a part and looks for the next node size?

Not quite. Unfortunately, the node size isn't that accurate (there are only 3 possible sizes I think). For now, the width is calculated by taking the size of the collider bounds of the decoupler and the parts two above the decoupler. This can however be the wrong result, for example if the part above the engine is a size adapter, with the shorter end at the bottom.

The height is calculated by the difference between the top and bottom stack node of the part above. At the moment, this doesn't take part offset into account.

That's the reason why there still is the possibility to set the size manually ; )

8 minutes ago, Psycho_zs said:

Is it possible to adjust some defaults through MM? like bottom diameter and vertical offset?

Not at the moment. What you want to do is to hard code a value for the size, so that decoupler x has a diameter and offset preset, rather than taking it from the collider size, right?

I might try to do something like that

Edited by navot

What stock mechanisms are used? I wonder if it is possible to hook up stock fairings into this. Like add fairing module to decouplers, autocalculate initial shape, use stock mechanisms for further customization and ejection.

At the moment none at all (assuming you are talking about the parameters you can set in the config)

27 minutes ago, Psycho_zs said:

What stock mechanisms are used? I wonder if it is possible to hook up stock fairings into this. Like add fairing module to decouplers, autocalculate initial shape, use stock mechanisms for further customization and ejection.

7 minutes ago, Psycho_zs said:

Stock fairing+decouler doesn't work well. Staging problems.

Now I am confused about what you meant the first time...

Edited by navot

7 minutes ago, navot said:

At the moment none at all

Well, I'm planning to go all in:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleJettison]]:FINAL {
	!MODULE[ModuleJettison]{}
}

Some defaults would be handy. Like enabling shrouds by default on decouplers, or adjusting decoupler-facing diameter.

7 minutes ago, navot said:

Now I am confused about what you meant the first time...

I meant just this. I've just went and actually checked it.

BTW, you could increase the margin of error if you bend the ends of the shroud a bit inwards.

Edited by Psycho_zs

Oh, so you want to completely replace the decoupler module, right?

Also, I'm quite new to MM, what does the engine have to do with it?

10 minutes ago, Psycho_zs said:

Like enabling shrouds by default on decouplers

I've disabled it by default, because I think usually the sizes all match, and the customized shrouds for every engine looks better.

10 minutes ago, Psycho_zs said:

BTW, you could increase the margin of error if you bend the ends of the shroud a bit inwards.

That's a good idea, I'll do that

Edited by navot

4 minutes ago, navot said:

Oh, so you want to completely replace the decoupler module, right?

No, I wanted to combine it with fairings, but that does not stage well.

5 minutes ago, navot said:

what does the engine have to do with it?

I'm removing engine shouds.

Oh right, I got the Modules for decoupler and shroud confused...

About completely replacing the shrouds, I'm not sure if there could be clipping problems (have't checked, but I think the nuclear engine has a small hole at the top of it's shroud), I just checked, and the nuclear engine sticks through my shroud

Edited by navot

On 2/12/2018 at 9:37 PM, Psycho_zs said:

What parameters does ModuleDecouplerShroud have?

Turns out, KSPFields get automatically loaded from the config file, so I did actually load some variables without knowing it...

The latest version on GitHub has a config file with some parameters (link to config). Is this what you were looking for?

the vertical offset at the moment doesn't affect the calculated height

Update: rewrote height detection. It now takes defaultVertOffset as well as the part offset into account (GitHub version)

Edited by navot