[1.3 - 1.8.1] Decoupler Shroud

navot

4 minutes ago, Tyko said:

Striped_NRM.png is derived from your original, deprecated Striped_Normals_png. I lopped the top half off and stretched it back into a square  :)

But at which point did it turn blue?!

Edited by navot

@navot issue:

Now a tank with a decoupler on top is attached to the mouse cursor in VAB, can't get rid off it, this is spammed to the log:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at DecouplerShroud.ModuleDecouplerShroud.destroyShroud () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at DecouplerShroud.ModuleDecouplerShroud.partDetached () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at (wrapper delegate-invoke) Callback:invoke_void__this__ ()
  at Part.onDetach (Boolean first) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Part.onDetach (Boolean first) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at EditorLogic.detachPart (.Part part) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at EditorLogic.deleteSymmetryParts () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at EditorLogic.<SetupFSM>m__D () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KerbalFSM.UpdateFSM () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at EditorLogic.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename:  Line: -1)

I had to leave VAB and enter again to continue.

Log:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/od69vzcdc2be02n/2018-05-02_2 KSP.log.7z?dl=1

Edit:

reproducable:

1. Attach radial decouplers (2x)
  2. to them attach a tank
  3. to the tanks attach a decoupler on top
  4. try to pick up a tank, it should remove both, but it doesn't, the mouse-cursor-attached tank can't be reattached or put back into part list, log is spammed, VAB has to be left

Edited by Gordon Dry

@Gordon Dry Thanks for reporting this issue and providing steps to reproduce it. I turns out that I tried to clean up some materials that aren't created yet, causing the error. It's fixed now on the latest GitHub release

Edited by navot

question,  if i install this mod, and use it on my crafts, and share it, would it be considered a stock ksp craft file, and use the decouple shrouds that are normally in game? so, if i made a craft with this, I could share it with a freind that uses stock (with dlc), but no mods or would they have to install the mod?

1 minute ago, betony1 said:

question,  if i install this mod, and use it on my crafts, and share it, would it be considered a stock ksp craft file, and use the decouple shrouds that are normally in game? so, if i made a craft with this, I could share it with a freind that uses stock (with dlc), but no mods or would they have to install the mod?

The craft would probably work - but not have the shrouds.  If you just used the stock shrouds, no problem.

7 hours ago, navot said:

It's fixed now on the latest GitHub release

Finally I "was able to" reboot KSP - I had the bug again in VAB and now I really want to know if it's fixed - and also Kerbalism had several updates in the last few hours.

So as soon as I reached the VAB I loaded the craft and tried to reproduce the last step...

Situation: solved

Basic Procedural Textures is officially launched :D    @navot is you support this mod please add it as a compatible mod on page 1. Thanks!

xRbemx0.png

Edited by Tyko

21 hours ago, betony1 said:

Keep in mind that the stock shrouds belong to the engines, not to decouplers. That is, on a stock-parts-only craft if you put a tank beneath an engine with no decoupler, you'll still get a shroud. This mod replaces (or surrounds) the stock engine shroud with a decoupler-based shroud so odds are if you make a craft with this mod then share it to someone without the mod, they would see right-angle steps in their rocket's profile instead of the nice conical steps.

• 3 weeks later...

After recent update (0.4.4) CKAN shows that now it compatible with KSP 1.3.0 - 1.4.99 (0.4.3 shows only 1.4.3 compability). Just want to know if that's true and i can use latest version of this mod with my 1.3.1 without any problems? Thanks!

Edited by pes_petya

2 hours ago, pes_petya said:

After recent update (0.4.4) CKAN shows that now it compatibe with KSP 1.3.0 - 1.4.99 (0.4.3 shows only 1.4.3 compability). Just want to know if that's true and i can use latest version of this mod with my 1.3.1 without any problems? Thanks!

It should work just fine in KSP 1.3.1. I think all of the mods versions should work fine with KSP 1.3, but I've only changed how CKAN determines which KSP versions the mod works on in the last update.

I've added custom decoupler parts, which have the same stats as the stock decouplers, but don't have a surface on the side of the rocket and use the DecouplerShroud by default. I initially made this to make an SLS style rocket, where the orange sides shouldn't be interrupted by a white decoupler. If you want to have a look at them you can download the current version on GitHub. I'll probably make a Spacedock release soon, but I'm a bit hesitant since I don't want to clutter the parts list if no one wants this part and removing it might break someone's craft files
I've also added a dark and an orange shroud texture, however the orange texture doesn't quite match the look of the stock orange yetnueTbXR.jpg

@navot I will check this out.

@navot I'm missing a 1.875m variant - or optional TweakScale support by patches, then only one part would be needed when TweakScale is found (I guess, dunno if this changes the shroud's appearance).

Edited by Gordon Dry

3 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

I'm missing a 1.875m variant - or optional TweakScale support by patches, then only one part would be needed when TweakScale is found (I guess, dunno if this changes the shroud's appearance).

Totally forgot about the 1.875m size... Scaling options is a good idea, but I don't want this mod to depend on TweakScale, so I might try to implement my own version of part scaling

I've added some basic scaling of the decoupler. I'm modifying the price, mass, and ejection force. Let me know if I forgot about something. Also, make sure if you are upgrading to remove the old Shrouded Decouplers from any important crafts, or they won't load

@navot I did a quick look into the configs - before I test them I want to know, if the scaling is by % or by predefined sizes?

Personally I prefer the predefined sizes with the possibility of choosing different values inside the slider.
Like when pressing the arrows left and right of the slider bar I can switch between for example 0.625m, 0.9375m, 1.25m, 1.5m, 1.875m, 2.5m etc.
- but I can finetune in 5cm steps by directly moving the slider.

This is more intuitive then a % scaling approach.

IMHO

28 minutes ago, navot said:

Also, make sure if you are upgrading to remove the old Shrouded Decouplers from any important crafts, or they won't load

hmm, for a quick test I have to copy my save, actually I don't want to start another career ...

Edited by Gordon Dry

10 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

hmm, for a quick test I have to copy my save, actually I don't want to start another career ...

I think you may have misunderstood me. The normal decouplers with decoupler shroud enabled are fine, it's just if you installed the version from GitHub with the custom parts and used one of the custom decoupler parts that you have to worry. That is because there were four different versions of my custom decouplers for the different sizes, which no longer exist, because now there is only one part that gets scaled.

And if you did already use them in some important craft, you can just make sure that the files in ShroudedDecoupler_0.cfg to ShroudedDecoupler_3.cfg are still somewhere in your Gamedata folder and it should work fine, but you won't just have the one scalable decoupler

Edited by navot

• 3 months later...

Idk if this was a bug or not but I used to be able to put a decoupler shroud on any part that had a top node. It was a very helpful bug and I used it to make really nice and smooth looking craft. Any way I can muck about in the files to get this wonderful bug again?

21 minutes ago, Taco Salad said:

Idk if this was a bug or not but I used to be able to put a decoupler shroud on any part that had a top node. It was a very helpful bug and I used it to make really nice and smooth looking craft. Any way I can muck about in the files to get this wonderful bug again?

The quickest way to get decoupler shroud on every part would be to edit the file [Your KSP Folder]\GameData\DecouplerShroud\DecouplerShroud.cfg and change the first line from:

@PART[*]:FOR[DecouplerShroud]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleDecouple]]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleDecouplerShroud]]

to:

@PART[*]:FOR[DecouplerShroud]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleDecouplerShroud]]

Keep in mind that updating this mod will reverse your changes and you'll have to make them again, or make a copy of the cfg file and put it somewhere in your GameData folder (I'd recommend changing it after updating to get any new config values)

I tested it with some parts and it worked fine, but there might be some bugs or performance issues with this, and I can't guarantee that it won't break a craft or save file (it probably won't, but I felt like putting some disclaimer here)

• 3 weeks later...