Request: "Pieces are missing from 23 ships; do you wish to Continue loading or Quit?"

InterplanetJanet

If one plays with mods, one will eventually remove a mod, innocently load a game (the first time) and then scream the Wilhelm Scream in terror as half or more of your missions evaporate in a puff of pique. Hope you saved a copy of your savefile elsewhere! (sucker!)

There's got to be a way to prevent this from happening. A moddable way, if Squad won't do it.  Maybe something with a saved 2nd backup, I dunno... SOMETHING.

And yes, I know, I should make backups.  I do.  Because of getting ______ed by this behaviour I did not expect, twice.  In 2015 I think I quit playing for three years because I lost a game with months of work; because ____ that, at least if I clean the toilet I've done something for the day. It's a bad game when you'd rather clean the toilet.

I had remembered this little 'surprise' when I restarted playing in December, but that didn't help when a few pieces disappeared out of a mod which I had NOT altered or uninstalled, and half my ships went 'pweef!' into the bit bucket.

Surely this is not impossible.  Surely there is some way.  Someone who can step up and save us all.

On 2/11/2018 at 7:11 PM, InterplanetJanet said:

If one plays with mods, one will eventually remove a mod, innocently load a game (the first time) and then scream the Wilhelm Scream in terror as half or more of your missions evaporate in a puff of pique. Hope you saved a copy of your savefile elsewhere! (sucker!)

The first time this happened to me I screamed but then hit Alt+F4 to task kill the game. Being familiar with game development I had the small hope that the game did not actually commit these changes to the save file - and it did not. I mean, I had backups anyways (not just game generated ones but actual proper backups) but I didn't need them. So if you forget again or get lazy with the backups just remember to task-kill the game before switching scenes (quitting to the main menu or going into a building or out to a vessel - any of those actions will overwrite the save file with new data). I would recommend Persistent File Backup Generator - ignore the version compatibility it works fine in the latest KSP and has worked flawlessly for me since 0.23.5.

Also, if this just happened to you recently with the latest version of KSP then additional admonishment is in order for not catching up on change notes since you last played, or you would have known that KSP does in fact create save file backups in your game's save folder. Hey maybe your game is still recoverable there. I'm pretty sure that it's turned on by default - I can't remember if I disabled it the last time I installed but I do remember the backup generation was a bit iffy, at least it didn't seem to make a new one every time I opened my saved game like Persistent File Backup Generator does, which is why I prefer it.

8 hours ago, Drew Kerman said:

[...] if this just happened to you recently with the latest version of KSP then additional admonishment is in order for not catching up on change notes since you last played

Admonishment applied (*sigh* I hate those... especially when I deserve them)...  and I started a new game in a fit of pique (and mod reloading) which is going well, probably better than the previous. I have started making my own backups periodically (daily); I shall look into the Persistent File Backup Generator; I already have KISS, but that does require pre-thinking which I'm trying to get into the habit of doing.

But still. The fact that there are a couple of workarounds (if you know them) doesn't, IMO, negate the fact that There Is A Way To Make It (This One Tiny Thing) Better. And isn't that what the modding is all about? Making it better (at least for you and your style of play)?

And, this seems to be a oft-occurring problem. Me twice, this post/thread starting 17 Jan, and I remember seeing references  to this happening to others elsewhere. (You both knew 'zactly what I was talking about...)

Edited by InterplanetJanet

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.