Inline stayputnik?

Stayputnik is supposed to be the most basic probe core, which is why it doesn't have a top node.  You need to do more research to get the inline probe cores.  A stayputnik with a top node would defeat that purpose.

Edited by Capt. Hunt

2 hours ago, SnailsAttack said:

How do people use the stayputnik? It doesn't even have SAS

Anyways it's the first probe of the game, so...

It works when you need a computer but not control, like for a rover. Or for a very simple rocket that just follows a gravity turn to orbit and then gets a Satellite contract or something.

But other than that yeah, it's main use is to teach you how important SAS is :D

It says something that one of the main uses for the Stayputnik is as a bearing for stock electric motors. 

(Yeah, chiming in. Just do a bit of research and get the Okto.)

1 hour ago, dreadanaught said:

PEOPLE! Just do the research, and get either the OKTO or the OKTO2, as they are both better than the stayputnik, one being the lightest unmanned command module, the other having reaction wheels, and BOTH having SAS capabilities.

It's only by playing 30% science caveman that one understands how hard it is to rack up the 90 science.

In all seriousness, yes, the stayputnik is horrenduously bad. It should at least have an SAS to compense the fact it is much bigger and much harder to put on a rocket than all others.

On 2/16/2018 at 10:37 AM, MinimalMinmus said:

It's only by playing 30% science caveman that one understands how hard it is to rack up the 90 science.

In all seriousness, yes, the stayputnik is horrenduously bad. It should at least have an SAS to compense the fact it is much bigger and much harder to put on a rocket than all others.

Let me get this straight, you play at a 30% science return to make your game harder, but the Stayputnik needs a buff because it's too hard?

it's supposed to be bad, that encourages you to upgrade.  Squad isn't expecting players to intentionally make the game harder to play.

Edited by Capt. Hunt

2 hours ago, Capt. Hunt said:

Let me get this straight, you play at a 30% science return to make your game harder, but the Stayputnik needs a buff because it's too hard?

it's supposed to be bad, that encourages you to upgrade.  Squad isn't expecting players to intentionally make the game harder to play.

My point is actually: if it's supposed to be so bad, it's useless, then why does it exist at all?

4 minutes ago, MinimalMinmus said:

My point is actually: if it's supposed to be so bad, it's useless, then why does it exist at all?

To provide us with a spherical collider box for all kinds of tricks/exploits, like hinges, ball-joints etc.

Other than that, yeah, its pretty useless. But I'm a sandbox player, no idea how it fits into the career progression at all.

Just now, Dafni said:

To provide us with a spherical collider box for all kinds of tricks/exploits, like hinges, ball-joints etc.

Other than that, yeah, its pretty useless. But I'm a sandbox player, no idea how it fits into the career progression at all.

Good point, but that's not really an intended use. A spherical structural part could be a good idea, by the way.

Just now, MinimalMinmus said:

Good point, but that's not really an intended use. A spherical structural part could be a good idea, by the way.

Yes, a spherical structural part would be nice indeed. With high impact and heat tolerance please, and low mass too. @SQUAD how about it?

You are right about the unintended use, me and many others tent to ignore the real intentions for parts a lot when we build stuff. One of the nice aspects of KSP. But yeah, of course you are right and I get your point.

On 12.02.2018 at 10:44 AM, 5thHorseman said:

It works when you need a computer but not control, like for a rover. Or for a very simple rocket that just follows a gravity turn to orbit and then gets a Satellite contract or something.

But other than that yeah, it's main use is to teach you how important SAS is :D

The trick is to switch to "softer" controls with CapsLock and be easy on controls. :)

I am using it for hard permadeath career (with internal-control-only restriction*) - suborbital, orbital, kerbin retr. network, network measurement, dv stage measurement and moon/minmus landers are all using it.  Stayputnik+control wheels+200 inline batman+basic solar panels = all one ever needs.

With CTT, I am several millions budget and still dreaming about drones with SAS. Stayputnik has saved lives of dozens of kerbals. :)

career album (part 8)

VATovT7.pngZCZsf9n.png ZI929PS.png

9IvkgOz.png  f48Fj0H.png7THz1xK.png

* minimal exceptions apply, like engine thrust value and fuel can selection for fuel transfers.

Edited by Kerbal101

7 hours ago, MinimalMinmus said:

It's there to introduce you to the very basic functions of probe cores.  Same principle as the LV-T30 or the Flea.

4 hours ago, Capt. Hunt said:

It's there to introduce you to the very basic functions of probe cores.  Same principle as the LV-T30 or the Flea.

I'd say it's a different problem. When you get the flea, it's literally your only choice. The T30 is quite terrible but it still has uses, even in mid-game, if it's coupled with a pair of thuds. (Also, it's unlocked after the T45, now). When you unlock the Stayputnik, it is so outclassed by manned flights (especially since, at this point, you don't have any solar panel) that there's practically no reason to use it at all, ever, as a probe core.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.