[1.3.1][1.4.1][Stock+MH] NASA Apollo Saturn V & NASA Apollo Saturn VII

In my near to 1000h of KSP I have built many rockets (not that much SSTO or planes but rockets). I wasnt everywhere but where I was i did it with a return and as much science as possible.

Interessted in space flight all the time and a fan of the Saturn V i built last month my own Lego NASA Apollo Saturn V (Set 21309). With that model i tried my first ever "real life build" in KSP (full stock! - i dont use part mods).

I'm really happy with it so i want to share it with you!

The NASA Apollo Saturn V is designed for Mun and is capable to do a equatorial landing. It should be much forgiving as i over engineered it a bit. Check the staging all the time because KSP make a mess with it after you redock the lander (LM) to the comand module (CM). For the return acending with the lander make sure do DEACTIVATE the main engine of the LM after touchdown on mun. Otherwise you can't throttle up and press space (staging) to leave with the top of the lander. Use the correct timing with the CM to have enough fuel for the rendevouz and docking.

Now to the special one. After using the Saturn V i tried to pump it up a little bit to be cappable for Duna... and it worked! I also added a lot of science (sorry that i wasnt able to include also the science jr... i will keep going to try that in a B version)...

This is the NASA Apollo Saturn VII. It's a little more challenging to fly and is able to do a equatorial landing on duna. The hardes point of the journey is the return from the Duna surface to the orbit. Make sure to deactivate the mainengine of the LM and enable SAS. Wait for the CM in orbit and lanuch. Make a proper acending and keep an eye on the Duna atmosphere. You dont have much fuel for this manouver. Probably practice this manouver with the use of the "CM+LM" craft and cheat it in a duna orbit (ALT+F12).

For the descent of the LM don't go in to deep. Use maximum of half of the tank to slow down. Just use the engine to brake near the surface. Let the paracutes do the main work but they are not able to slow you down enough. They need time so keep the path flat. Its just a practice thing.

After you are able to land, start and redock you can use the Saturn VII in carrer. With small modifications its usable in mid-to-late-techtree.

Have fun with it!

Edit: Pictures are the VII for Duna. No Action Groups needed except "ABORT!" this can be use if the s*it hits the fan until 2nd stage after that its not usable anymore (decoupled). You can do everything with "Space" (Staging).

NASA-Apollo-Saturn-VII_FullSize.jpgNASA-Apollo-Saturn-VII_FullSizeOpen.jpgNASA-Apollo-Saturn-VII_CM-LM-Transfer.jp

Edited by KingPhantom

• 4 weeks later...

i'm testing a making history version of the saturn v as we got the new parts :).

it will be a "kerbal style" saturn v with the correct amount of deltaV without half full tanks. so it will be tiny in lenght compared to its real world counterpart :)

• 2 months later...
On 3/20/2018 at 7:50 PM, Lyianm said:

I had difficulty downloading your files in ZIP. it did not want to extract them. the last one you put works thanks. now I'm waiting for VII. 

hmm. i've tested the links again. they are still working :(

i can attach the files to a PN if you like

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.