[1.3.1] Stockalike Martian Moon Analogues

Beale

Stockalike Martian Moon Analogues
Download

Provides two new satellites of Duna, Hosbop and Modesi. Both are heavily based on the real Martian moons, Phobos and Deimos.
The moons provide a reasonable challenge to get to, with a small sphere of influence, but provide a great staging area to move onwards (or, at least they will once resources are properly implemented).

Phobos Hosbop
A small potato moon close to Duna.
MaTd1LT.pngJopGWbQ.png

Deimos Modesi
An even smaller potato moon, in-between the orbits of Hosbop and Ike.
fa5xdjL.pngnQeLiUt.png

Ike
Ike is totally unchanged, but I have considered removing it.
PivOk4a.pngrr6TdOi.png

Progress

• Nice heightmaps, care has been taken to produce smooth terrain and remove issues around the poles (as much as possible).
  • Biomes (with one or two unique areas).

Todo

• Scatter (Right now they are totally plain)
  • Resources
  • Anything else?

Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License

Edited by Beale

On 12/02/2018 at 4:13 PM, DiscoSlelge said:

First <3 Lovely moony bois

On 12/02/2018 at 4:19 PM, CobaltWolf said:

First.
Beale is a class traitor, associating with planet modders! :D

On 12/02/2018 at 4:40 PM, tygoo7 said:

Neat! These moons are much better than Ike.

On 12/02/2018 at 8:22 PM, Well said:

Everybody knows the moon is made of cheese, so 2 new moon make me happy Seriously, i really like Phobos and Deimos, so really big thanks for this mod @Beale

On 14/02/2018 at 12:09 PM, TheRedTom said:

Excellent! Can't wait to send Fobos there!

Thanks guys, it is very encouraging, okay, all my Part mods cancelled.

Major updates available now

• Much nicer terrain, huge thanks to @Poodmund and @Thomas P. for their time and advice.
  • Polar issues all fixed, the poles are smooth and normal, no more weird holes or spiky terrain.

I only need to do Scatter now and I would be totally happy to release these (Any guides on scatter is appreciated).

IlKm0km.png
XfltEzh.png
2JIjBxa.png

Edited by Beale

On 12/02/2018 at 4:12 PM, Beale said:

Ike
Ike is totally unchanged, but I have considered removing it.
PivOk4a.png

How would somebody go about doing this I hear you ask? Simple!

@Kopernicus:AFTER[Kopernicus] 
{ 
	!Body[Ike]{}
}

Makes the Dunian system much better IMO

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2018 at 7:08 PM, grayal said:

Instead of removing IKE, why not put it out near dres in a greek or Trojan orbit and it can serve as a Vesta analogue like Dres does for Ceres.

What do you mean by a 'Greek' orbit, I'm pretty sure there is no such thing.

As for a Trojans, IIRC that they reside in or near a Lagrange point, which is something that cannot be replicated in KSP without mods like Principia. Even so, Principia is very buggy and severely alters how KSP is played, as standard transfers don't work the way you'd think as in real life, all bodies gravitationally affect not only your craft, but all of the other bodies as well (see this GitHub page for what I'm talking about).

Also, Vesta is not spherical like Ike, it is actually potato-shaped, so Ike would have to be modified to make it more like Vesta. As Ceres is the only asteroid within the orbit of Neptune that is in hydrostatic equilibrium (it is rounded by it's own gravity), there really is no good place to relocate Ike in it's current state. Moving it into the outer solar system would conflict with other mods like Outer Planets. I'm not entirely sure if it is possible to delete a stock body from the game, but one could certainly transform Ike into Hosbop to get rid of the extra moon. Or you could take the nuclear option and move Ike into the center of Kerbol (or at least within the surface), but that is likely to cause problems, especially if you try to land on it (although Danny2462 would love to try).

Edited by hieywiey

If I'm not mistaken jupiter (not earth) has 2 groups of asteroids in or near its orbit. The diagram I saw called one group Greeks and the other Trojans. But the respective names werent really the point I was tryin to make. See pic

InnerSolarSystem-en.png

I also did not suggest anything whatsoever about using PRINCIPIA. KSP doesnt care a whit about orbits being realistic and for the purposes of KSP and my enjoyment of it neither do I. At the risk of sounding rude, i'm not really sure why you brought it up. I appreciate you trying to educate me but i assure you it isn't necessary. Ceres is not in neptune's orbit. Are you thinking about Eris? Ceres is a belt asteroid.

Also I am aware of Vesta shape. I'm not suggesting anything as detailed or adhering to realism such as that. I'm merely offering a suggestion that doesnt involve deleting ike. For example you could put it 180 degrees away from dres. That wouldnt conflict with OPM at all. 

PS I too wish to land on Kerbol. I'm gonna go at night so the heat shouldnt be a problem nor the bright light. (Dripping with sarcasm for those that do not recognize it]

Edited by grayal

1 hour ago, grayal said:

If I'm not mistaken jupiter (not earth) has 2 groups of asteroids in or near its orbit. The diagram I saw called one group Greeks and the other Trojans. But the respective names werent really the point I was tryin to make. See pic

InnerSolarSystem-en.png

I also did not suggest anything whatsoever about using PRINCIPIA. KSP doesnt care a whit about orbits being realistic and for the purposes of KSP and my enjoyment of it neither do I. At the risk of sounding rude, i'm not really sure why you brought it up. I appreciate you trying to educate me but i assure you it isn't necessary. Ceres is not in neptune's orbit. Are you thinking about Eris? Ceres is a belt asteroid.

Also I am aware of Vesta shape. I'm not suggesting anything as detailed or adhering to realism such as that. I'm merely offering a suggestion that doesnt involve deleting ike. For example you could put it 180 degrees away from dres. That wouldnt conflict with OPM at all. 

PS I too wish to land on Kerbol. I'm gonna go at night so the heat shouldnt be a problem nor the bright light. (Dripping with sarcasm for those that do not recognize it]

Realistic trojan orbits by nature require N-Body physics, as they are gravitationally affected by multiple bodies (parent star and planet). It does now occur to me that you could just have it in the same orbit with a different true anomaly (position along the orbit).

The thing at the end reminds me of this.

7 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Indeed, I don't believe KSP supports non-elliptical orbits, and a trojan would require something more like a very rounded triangle?

Yes and no. KSP doesn't support multi-body gravity so it can't do non-conic (circle, ellipse, parabola, hyperbola) orbits. But trojans are elliptical/circular orbits. They have the same semi-major-axis or orbital radius and a similar inclination, but they are 60 degrees ahead of or behind in the planet's orbit. (meanAnomalyAtEpochD, argumentOfPeriapsisD, and longitudeOfAscendingNode should sum to be 60 degrees less or more than the sum values from the parent body. I think. More reliably, if the Mean Anomaly, Argument of Periapsis, and Lognitude of Ascending Node are set to the same value for both bodies, changing only one of them by 60 degrees will result in a trojan or greek) KSP does support trojans. A trojan moon would not be a subsatellite, it would be another moon orbiting 60 degrees behind or ahead. It's very simple. Now in KSP, trojans aren't more stable than putting the other moon anywhere else along the same orbit, but for realism's sake L4 and L5 should be the only orbits used. 

Hildas are the rounded triangle. (Not sure if the actual orbit itself of these asteroids are rounded triangles (I seem to remember seeing an animation of them that shows they are), it may actually be an emergent property of a more complicated orbit) KSP can't do those without Principia.

• 3 months later...

May I possibly help with this project? You and I had the same idea with the Dunain moons. I did not do very well with the Stockalike part, but I did do biomes, LOTS OF BIOMES I can definitely help you with that.

And with a bit of fenagling I could possibly get ground scatter to work.

5 hours ago, Alaygrounds said:

May I possibly help with this project? You and I had the same idea with the Dunain moons. I did not do very well with the Stockalike part, but I did do biomes, LOTS OF BIOMES I can definitely help you with that.

And with a bit of fenagling I could possibly get ground scatter to work.

Already have biomes, but if you can get the terrain scatter working that would be much appreciated!

Vesta is now in orbit of Dres, around 10% the size of the real thing - and with a little edits to the heightmap to puff it out a little.

sNo13ky.png
AD2mn7p.png

On 7/16/2018 at 11:53 PM, Alaygrounds said:

where did you get the deimos height map

There are a small number of source topography maps floating around, which can then be converted to height maps.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.