Ground Docking Problems

I'm trying to expand a surface base for the first time, I've never done it because of the airlock problems with surface installations. I've decided to just use klaws. If docking via airlocks is nearly impossible on the ground, why do surface bases have to have airlocks at all? Also. do both craft in an airlock docking have to have power?

14 hours ago, Zosma Procyon said:

If docking via airlocks is nearly impossible on the ground...

It is not. If may not be as simple as using the klaw or a KAS pipe, but far from impossible.

In fact, many things in KSP seem to be impossible until you figure out an effective way to do it. With practice it may even become second nature.

It's not, you just need to make sure the docking ports are at the same height and approach orthogonally. I always test my ground docking units at KSP and tune them manually. They work fine elsewhere even if it's not perfectly flat.

There are also tricks like jiggling the craft with reaction wheels or brakes, or using landing gear or landing struts as jacks. 

I.e. it's not as good as it ought to be but by no means impossible or even completely unreasonably hard.

On 2/12/2018 at 1:54 PM, Zosma Procyon said:

why do surface bases have to have airlocks at all?

The Advanced Grabbing Unit will not allow you to transfer fuel and Kerbins from your original surface base to your new sections. You can get around the fuel transfer problem in the game settings by a setting in the game's Difficulty Options. Under "Advanced",  uncheck "Resource Transfer Obeys Crossfeed Rules". But I still do not think you will be able to transfer crew from the old section and the new sections. Of course you can just go EVA and walk over to the new section, and with a surface base, EVAs is the whole idea anyway, so it is not a bad solution. If you think about it from a Kerbins point of view, it might be a pain to put on a space suit to walk over to the new science module, but that is their problem not yours. :-)

The easiest solution is to put everything on wheels, which makes it easier to get all the docking ports at the same level, and as Brikoleur mentions, reaction wheels can often get you close enough for the magnets to work and dock.

The magnets on the docking ports do not appear to need electricity, so I do not think either ship needs electricity.  It would be hard, but I am thinking you could use a Kerbin in EVA using his jet pack to move a wheeled module into place to dock. It would be a silly solution, and almost impossible - but now I almost want to try it...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.