SpaceDock.info (Mod Hosting Site)

VITAS

15 minutes ago, DStaal said:

It's not uncommon for big mail hosts (Google...) to block or rate limit sites that are just set up and start sending mail.  Even if they are fully correctly configured.  Only thing you can do about that is to wait. Depending on what they are doing, sometimes the mail will eventually get through, and either way they'll start learning that you are a 'real' mail site and what your normal mail volume is.

Greylisting.  It works wonders to block spam email.  The first time you see any host trying to submit mail you just send them a temporarily down response in smtp.  Well behaved mail servers just try again after a few minutes.  Spammers skip to the next email address.  The problem is, a lot of websites that send mail don't queue or retry.  Still, I do like the greylisting.  Very effective, very simple.

Yep that seems likely whats happening, my address isn't gmail but its running on my inmotionhosting site which has fairly tight email servers, so it probably got killed coming in.

You can just hop into IRC and get them to activate you, I did, just took them a second. Not sure who will be on late in the day/night though.

Yeah, not sure if greylisting is involved here or not. My activation email never came through. I run the mail server on my end, and can say with high confidence that delivery was not attempted. So it either failed to send in the first place, or there was a relay in between that caused the problem.

EDIT: I did open an issue about this on GitHub and mentioned the bounces with the support address.

Edited by NecroBones

1 minute ago, linuxgurugamer said:

if your email is a gmail account, those aren't working for some reason

Gmail I know goes a bit beyond greylisting, and will actually block sudden spikes in email volume from a specific host.  Give it a couple of days to learn the new normal, and things should work.

Assuming that's the only problem, of course.  NecroBones's reply points to there being other issues at work as well.

You guys rock is all I can say legends the lot of you for solving an issues so quickly you have my applause and appreciation as I  am a CURSE hater and happy to admit it. When you call for donation I will be only to happy to throw some $ to the cause.

I have 1 question would it be possible or ethical to enforce all mods to have a  KSP forum thread most do but there are some that dont.

The dev team is getting such much needed rest at the moment as work arounds are in place for current critical issues (unable to get email? ping godarklight or darklight in the channel for manual activation). Limit of 100MB for mod uploads at the moment.

1 hour ago, cxg2827 said:

I have gmail and i got the registration email to go through, though it was in my spam folder.

Thanks for all the work you all put in to get SpacePort up!

Same here, it was just in Spam. Gmail users should check that, I guess.

To be fair, the registration email does look suspiciously like some spam emails I get (some plain text and a link).

10 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

So spaceport.info is now working, currently 47 mods there and increasing

Is there anyone from CKAN here who can detail what needs to be changed in the net kan file?

Main question is the $kref line, should it still say kerbalstuff, or change that to spaceport?

Just highlighting this question for now.  The $kref entry for netKan files, will that have a shortcut like kerbalstuff, or should we use the long form?

EDIT: Checked CKAN code, and there's no new Sources entry, so for now "download": "<url>".  Presumably a new source type will be added later, and I should probably go over to a topic for CKAN to ask about it.

But I'll just wait it out.  None of this is anywhere near as urgent as a lot of people seem to be treating it.  And the work so far has been amazing, but it's time for people to slow down a bit before they go loopy.

Edited by TiktaalikDreaming
updated info

4 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Jump on to the Irc later, there have been teething problems

Sorry, but after a previous hack attack via IRC, I won't go on it anymore. And you should have better support than, "jump on IRC".

55 minutes ago, Farix said:

Sorry, but after a previous hack attack via IRC, I won't go on it anymore. And you should have better support than, "jump on IRC".

You know, this was an intense effort by a bunch of volunteers to replace something extremely quickly.  Saying that they should provide better support is rather harsh.  As you can see from the post which immediately followed yours, there are people monitoring this and responding.  If you don't want to use IRC, that's your decision and I respect it.  But please respect the people who are doing this.  It's atitudes like what  you just expressed (whether you meant it or not) which caused the @SirCmpwn to drop the project.

I don't mean to be insulting, this was not meant that way.  So please take this the way it was meant, as constructive critisicism.

LGG

20 minutes ago, DaniDE said:

Whatever happens in the future, just keep CKAN optional please.

They are.  Spacedock is the same as kerbalstuff used to be (using the same software), CKAN is entirely optional.

Hello,

I don't really a program or anything and I really wish I had money to give you. I would like to help, though, in any way I can even if its just along the lines of reading emails. So please if you have any odd job, I'm willing to take it. I don't want another great website to be shut down because squad wasn't willing to get off their high horse and people are just too damn unappreciative. 

Edited by Cooboo

40 minutes ago, balika said:

2 You just copy-pasted  the Kerbalstuff. I expected a new site....

Okay, I know pretty much zippo when it comes to making websites (I haven't played with programming since the old DOS / Cobol / PASCAL days) but if you were expecting a brand new website with new graphics and a brand spanking-new interface then perhaps you need to reflect on your priorities. Considering how long this has taken and how hard these guys and gals have been busting their butts in getting this to work is frankly astounding in itself.

Edited by GDJ

1 hour ago, GDJ said:

if you were expecting a brand new website with new graphics and a brand spanking-new interface then perhaps you need to reflect on your priorities. Considering how long this has taken and how hard these guys and gals have been busting their butts in getting this to work is frankly astounding in itself.

I agree.... Also, one of the most favored things about KerbalStuff WAS its simple, very functional interface...

Considering how gracious and helpful SirCmpwn was with the handover, and reboot, especially considering all the unecessary grief he has gotten over the whole situation, AND that he had the foresight to make it all opensource, AND considering how fast it has been started back up, why would someone have to (or want to), re-invent the wheel on something that worked so well?

Edited by Stone Blue