SpaceDock.info (Mod Hosting Site)

VITAS

5 minutes ago, Snark said:

I don't know enough about the interaction between CKAN and SpaceDock, or how CKAN works internally, to be able to say for sure whether this is a problem in CKAN or in SpaceDock, but I figured I'd start here.  Anyone have any ideas?

BBT 1.4 is marked as specific to the pre-release in CKAN's registry file, so any of your users on 1.0.5 will not have seen that update yet. 1.4.1 seems to be missing entirely. (Some irrelevant metadata was removed from the below to make it more readable.)

"BetterBurnTime": {
			"module_version": {
				"1.4": {
					"ksp_version": "1.1.0",
					"ksp_version_max": null,
					"ksp_version_min": null,
					"ksp_version_strict": false,
				},
				"1.3.4": {
					"ksp_version": "1.0.5",
					"ksp_version_max": null,
					"ksp_version_min": null,
					"ksp_version_strict": false,
				},

20 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

BBT 1.4 is marked as specific to the pre-release in CKAN's registry file, so any of your users on 1.0.5 will not have seen that update yet. 1.4.1 seems to be missing entirely. (Some irrelevant metadata was removed from the below to make it more readable.)

Thanks!

1.0.5's not really relevant to the numbers, here.  If you look at the downloads for 1.4, there was the usual big surge.  1.4.1 is for the same version that 1.4 was, so I would expect to see similar numbers there.

So it's clear from what you say that "yes, there's a problem, 1.4 is not listed in CKAN's registry."  The question is, why is it not listed.  I had a similar problem with my earlier 1.3.5 update (for KSP 1.0.5) a few weeks ago-- you can see that 1.3.5 is also not CKAN-listed in the sample you give.  However, I didn't think much of it at the time, because 1.3.5 was kinda special-- I goofed the initial publish (put out an empty zip file), deleted, and republished, so I assumed that that must have somehow bollixed the works and didn't think much of it.

But 1.4.1 is now doing the exact same thing that 1.3.5 did, and there are no shenanigans this time:  it's a straight-up publishing of a new version, no odd extenuating circumstances, and it's not ending up in CKAN.

So, any idea of what gives?  Or how to diagnose where the problem is and how to fix it?  Is it missing from CKAN because there's a bug in CKAN?  Or is there a bug in SpaceDock's reporting to CKAN?

We arent changinging anything to the site for now (except those realy nasty showstopping bugs)

But im working on the next version allready.

Features (hopfully) included will be:

• LIst view option for browse mods
  • Sorting and filtering of mods
  • More advanced and easier to use search
  • Tags for mods (no categorys)
  • Sub pages for chat, mumble and other stuff (with explanations)
  • rework of the mainmenu (to be easier to find and fixed in mobile)
  • new footer (that showes donation amount)
  • rating of mods (but no direct comments)
  • expanding the insite blogging system (to be more usefull)
  • attaching of videos to mods by users (e.g. for mod reviews, lets plays,...)
  • overhaul of the startpage (to show more usefulls tuff in the blank spots)
  • rework of the image upload system (to help mod authors to get their thumbnails and banners just right)
  • moving of the site logic itself to the cdn (atm only the downloads ar elocated on multiple servers)
  • showing when a file is virus scaned
  • support form
  • FAQ (for the support form)
  • performance opimazations
  • integration of dmp multiplayer serverlist int the site
  • admin page overhaul
  • addition of "game admin" type
  • integration of websockets and notifications (for updates while on the site)
  • addition of a admin boradcast function (to show warnings to ppl before doing maintenance and so on)

As you can see quite a list for two persons :)

Edited by VITAS

20 minutes ago, Snark said:

So, any idea of what gives?  Or how to diagnose where the problem is and how to fix it?  Is it missing from CKAN because there's a bug in CKAN?  Or is there a bug in SpaceDock's reporting to CKAN?

I don't know enough about the CKAN architecture to say, unfortunately. Sometimes it sounds like it's all automated, other times the FAQ says things like "Hitting the button sends us an automated pull request, although these only have the most bare-bones of details and still require a human to review and adjust, which can sometimes take a while." So maybe those updates are in someone's email queue somewhere, waiting for signoff?

1 hour ago, godarklight said:

The next feature I want to implement is automatic notification for CKAN so they can run their netkan bot against a single mod instantly, instead of batching it :)

Also it would be nice if whatever the bug was that I'm running up against was fixed, so that my update would actually be updated.  It's been three days since I posted, clearly something's wrong.

On 4/12/2016 at 10:19 AM, Snark said:

Also it would be nice if whatever the bug was that I'm running up against was fixed, so that my update would actually be updated.  It's been three days since I posted, clearly something's wrong.

...And in the 16 hours since I posted the above, v1.4.1 of my mod has taken off like a rocket (no pun intended) and is now acting like a typical release. So, if this is because somebody saw my above post and pushed a button to unwedge my mod, thank you! :)

If that is indeed the case: well, not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but is there any chance you could do the same for v1.3.5 of my mod, too? That's the current most-recent version of my mod that works in 1.0.5, and I'd like to support the folks who aren't in the 1.1 pre-release. 1.3.5 is displaying the same statistical characteristics that 1.4.1 was until a few hours ago.

22 hours ago, godarklight said:

Hello everyone, I figured out the problem with mod creation, and broken profiles. If anyone else has other issues please contact either me or @VITAS - But we should be stable again now.

Thats all we fixed on our end in the past 24h.

About your other version: ill check if someone has an idea.

Am I the only person who really misses the "Hosting N mods for M users" display that used to be at the top of the main page?

I really liked that.  Seeing that my own mod is the Nth most popular becomes somewhat more meaningful to me if I have an idea of how many mods are out there.

It gives an ongoing perspective of the size of the site's mod "library", which I really like to be able to see.

Any particular reason it was removed?

Thank you for creating SpaceDock from the ashes of KS.

I have a small request: yesterday I published my new mod Real Ships and in my haste I made the error of giving it the name Real Ships 0.1. I'd like to change it to just Real Ships but can't find the option. How do I do it or can an admin change it for me?

On 13/04/2016 at 8:12 PM, Snark said:

...And in the 16 hours since I posted the above, v1.4.1 of my mod has taken off like a rocket (no pun intended) and is now acting like a typical release. So, if this is because somebody saw my above post and pushed a button to unwedge my mod, thank you! :)

If that is indeed the case: well, not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but is there any chance you could do the same for v1.3.5 of my mod, too? That's the current most-recent version of my mod that works in 1.0.5, and I'd like to support the folks who aren't in the 1.1 pre-release. 1.3.5 is displaying the same statistical characteristics that 1.4.1 was until a few hours ago.

Sorry about the delay with 1.4.1, there was an issue with a build environment change that stopped Netkan from adding any new mod versions for a few days there.

I think there must have been too short a time between you publishing 1.3.5 and 1.4 for netkan to see both of them. Netkan (at least currently) only looks at the latest version of any mod. I've gotten 1.3.5 added now, after a bit of jiggery-pokery.

Can we please pick a different font for SpaceDock?  This one is horrible.  It doesn't scale well, and frankly looks terrible.  I know you're going for something simple and clean and elegant, but there are better choices.  Look at how it mangles the letters, particularly the thickness of the lines with the Rs and Es, and the curves on the Ss and Cs look bad too.  This is just an eyesore.  It lacks all consistency.

oGP1Du3.png

Can you please revert to the non-all-caps titles?

"SETI-COMMUNITYTECHTREE" just looks horribly mutilated and frankly unreadable compared to "SETI-CommunityTechTree".

edit: Same goes for TWEAKABLEEVERYTHING, SIMPLECONSTRUCTION, WASDEDITORCAMERACONTINUED, NEVERENOUGHDAKKA and others.

Edited by Yemo

1 hour ago, VITAS said:

for mod names i will (somehow my reply to Cetra didnt get posted)

will be a while till its on production.

Thanks, @VITAS.  Please pick one that has kerning, too.  The current one does not seem to, which leads to the too-wide spacing between certain letters.

We are getting DOSed working on it should be solved in a few.

UPDATE:

We blocked that persons ip and are deploying messures to prevent this in the future.

Sorry for any downtime

Edited by VITAS

On 12/04/2016 at 1:09 AM, HebaruSan said:

I don't know enough about the CKAN architecture to say, unfortunately. Sometimes it sounds like it's all automated, other times the FAQ says things like "Hitting the button sends us an automated pull request, although these only have the most bare-bones of details and still require a human to review and adjust, which can sometimes take a while." So maybe those updates are in someone's email queue somewhere, waiting for signoff?

That's the initial submission. Once a mod from Spacedock is correctly configured (whicjh is what the review and adjustment does), new releases will be added automatically, as long as they remain the most recent release for at least the couple of hours it takes for Netkan to re-run its scanning. (When everything is working normally). The only thing I'm not sure on is what Spacedock's "default" release setting do to change Netkan's scraping. It may be possible for a mod author to get an old release scraped by Netkan by setting it as the default for a couple of hours, but I'm really not sure. Any mod authors willing to test that out would be much appreciated.