SpaceDock.info (Mod Hosting Site)

VITAS

my position is: if its not broken dont fix it.

if i need to tune this dial because i run out of steam on the server im happy to ask you guys for help.

SpaceDock isnt 10k simultanous user large (yet?). THe stats indicate that its userbase is more or less table and predictable.

The only times i had problems in the past where releasetimes but im optimistic that is now fixed AND i asked to be informed 1-2 days before any release so i can e.g. deploy additional resources. But we will see how that goes when another majorksp version comes along.

My main problem ATM is:

i do:

• server stuff
  • code on the new frontend
  • do support
  • fix bugs in the current prod code
  • fight with abuse mails
  • talk to mailproviders to not blacklist my mails
  • deal with copycat sites
  • manage the overall project
  • organize new server resources (and set them up)
  • GFX

All that in the little spare time i have and after doing similar things for work all day.
So what i realy, realy need is people to take over or help with parts of these tasks.

Note: If you now think "i could admin your servers for you", you surely understand that giving away root to the server for someone to tweak settings is the last thing i want to do.

Forgive me if I'm just missing something obvious, but how to I replace the header image for a mod?

I uploaded another image and it seems to just be multiplying.  On my 'edit your mod' screen, it shows the one image.  If I'm not in edit mod, or I visit the page using another browser, or the "view as user", the multiple copies of the image seem to be tiling.

NovaPunch Continued

Also, the thumbnail on the main KSP page is a pixelated chunk of the center of the original image.

Any advice how to fix my mess?

TIA!

it has to do with the image size. sadly the image is tiled depending on the the monitor width and the upload script doesnt show the final result. all you can do is play with sizes and go back and forth....until ive time to finish the next ver of the website....sorry.

17 minutes ago, VITAS said:

it has to do with the image size. sadly the image is tiled depending on the the monitor width and the upload script doesnt show the final result. all you can do is play with sizes and go back and forth....until ive time to finish the next ver of the website....sorry.

Ok, thanks!  I thought maybe it was adding in each copy!

Off Topic:

Im getting ready for the largest Hacker Conference in Europe (And the largest Conference in Europe full stop) taking place in Hamburg, Germany at the end of this year:

https://events.ccc.de/2016/11/22/hello-this-is-33c3-works-for-me/

Maybe some of you are there too. If not:

All talks (and also past ones) will be posted here:

https://media.ccc.de/

5 hours ago, VITAS said:

Off Topic:

Im getting ready for the largest Hacker Conference in Europe (And the largest Conference in Europe full stop) taking place in Hamburg, Germany at the end of this year:

https://events.ccc.de/2016/11/22/hello-this-is-33c3-works-for-me/

Maybe some of you are there too. If not:

All talks (and also past ones) will be posted here:

https://media.ccc.de/

Good stuff.  Slightly on the wrong side of the planet for me.

Interestingly, my work's rpz blacklist has the IP of media.ccc.de listed as Baaad, Mkay.  While it would actually seem to be (for me) work related.  If only I administered the rpz blacklists... oh I do.  :-)

Maybe because it has the word "Hacker" in it. In the US Hacker seems to be the same as terrorist...strange pople.

Can you get it unblocked? The ccc is even consulted by the German Goverment <- Argument you can bring.

There are always some ppl flying over the pond for that. But there arent any tickets left anyways.

Would be nice to meet some people from this forum there.

6 hours ago, VITAS said:

Maybe because it has the word "Hacker" in it. In the US Hacker seems to be the same as terrorist...strange pople.

Can you get it unblocked? The ccc is even consulted by the German Goverment <- Argument you can bring.

There are always some ppl flying over the pond for that. But there arent any tickets left anyways.

Would be nice to meet some people from this forum there.

I can unblock it myself.  But I can also check from home, cos I'm too lazy/busy to check why the IP is blocked.  Sometimes with hosting companies that host multiple sites on one IP, the other sites get caught in one site's bad behaviour.  And it's an IP block, not A record, so it seems unlikely to have anything to do with the word hacker.  Our lists are primarily malware related.  No trouble getting there from home.  And I have next week off, so happy.  :-)  Still, it is a valid work destination.  I'll chase it down when I get back, if someone else hasn't unblocked it by then.

But, I have zero chance of being there, sorry.  It'd be multiple ponds and at least one continent for me. 

2 hours ago, VITAS said:

the club is hosting all its stuff on its own servers, ip range and i think even has its own AS number :)

The listing is actually the /23, which is a bit enthusiastic (IMHO) for (probably a reference in) phish sourced malware (TeslaCrypt).  Notification through an alienvault.com entry that no longer exists.  Deleting...

Deleted.

My guess is someone decompiled some malware and picked out all the IPs, whether they were something the malware connected to or not.    We've had plenty of that sort of thing before.  A /23 is NOT a C&C host.

• 2 weeks later...

And it must be almost wake up time in Europe.  There's a 1.2.2 release that seems to have been sprung on the community.

Speaking of which, is there a low grade admin type role you could assign to a few trusted people who could then update things like that?  I'd be happy to take on some small tasks like that for spacedock.  I'm out of my depth at web-hosting, database things, and so one, but I can modify a table usually without making things crash. 

My knowledge of webservers and html is from a decade or more ago, and I only really know perl and bash as scripting languages, I also don't have huge amounts of time, but I recognize that very few people do, and the more that contribute, the less of that time resource everyone needs to contribute.

Was that the most tentative offer of assistance ever?  :-)

I Just added 1.2.2 upload your mods gentlemen :)

Im planing to include rolls into the new software version. But its developemnt is very slow due to my workload.

ATM theres only admin or no admin. And even Admins cant add gameversions because i decided to start from scratch before finishing the current admin interface :D

I wish there would allready be a game admin that can add version numbers and handle abuse requests and such.

But im willing to give away admin rights along with ticket system acc to trusted ppl. They can delete &feature mods and activate users. Hav9ing support req. off my back would help my a great deal. 

Edited by VITAS

• 2 weeks later...

@VITAS I hate to be the one to ask, but is the site down?

I'm in the East coast US, and the main domain, and the US/Asia/EU sites dont work for me either... (I can sometimes get one of the others even if the US one is down for me)...

Isitdown.com is showing all of them down... :(

Hope its just me?... lol

4 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

@VITAS I hate to be the one to ask, but is the site down?

I'm in the East coast US, and the main domain, and the US/Asia/EU sites dont work for me either... (I can sometimes get one of the others even if the US one is down for me)...

Isitdown.com is showing all of them down... :(

Hope its just me?... lol

It's not down for me (Netherlands. North-western Europe) but it is slow and sluggish to respond.

Is it normal for 52k.de to request access when using the site?... I know the KerbalStuff torrent was hosted there when that was up... So I guess I'm asking if that was your server, or the old KS server, and is it still ok that it's looking for access permission?

EDIT: Ok... Since EU seems to be up, guess I'll just wait for everything to come back up... :thumbs_up:

Edited by Stone Blue

Hi,

happy new year.

I havent checked the response times during that timespan yet, but the server resources shouldnt cause any problem (the site runs on 4x dual xeon and 1x i7 nodes)

Its slower than say 2 month ago because ive to route incoming trafic to another datacenter where the backend is running but thats a general response time penalty that shouldnt change.

52k.de is my workhorse domain its used for site analytics (stats.52k.de)

Geolocation shouldnt make any differences ATM because i ditched the cdn for the moment.

Bottom line: if it was /is slow its most likely backbone, dns or your local ISP.

p.s. my response time was slow because i was helping with the anual chaos communication congress (hacker/nerd meet in hamburg germany)

Edited by VITAS