SpaceDock.info (Mod Hosting Site)

VITAS

No it will be something realy simple like someone writing a script and failing. Its most likely unintentional.

My current problem: each time i start the SpaceDock backend processes the server grinds to a halt and even ssh shell commands take minutes to execute. I currently cant see the reason its hugging all the cpu (there arent even that many requests).

My approach is to keep digging and also moving the backend processes to another server (but keeping stuff like files, db and mail on the existing one due to the complexity of moving everything). I then can at least see if its the processes or somethign else interacting with them in an unhelpfull manner.

Lets hope for a slow day at work and i dont fall asleep (because i had very little of that) so i can do all of this today.

Im terribly sorry for the downtime.

Found the problem.

$someone should realy improve the filter for uploaded images. They can break the site.

Please dont break it again until i got some sleep. Thank you :)

9 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Vitas, 

I'd be happy to help, by day I'm a linux sysadmin.

PM me when you can to discuss

LGG

I would like that very much.

4 hours ago, VITAS said:

Found the problem.

$someone should realy improve the filter for uploaded images. They can break the site.

So it was a user related issue ? If so what can we (the modders who upload stuff to SpaceDock) do to prevent this from happening again ? Limit the size/number of image per mod ?

i agree about the "who". Especialy because im convinced it was the poor code quality of the site and not the person who is to blame.

so basicly: im the red haired herb knowing turban wearing bearded person :P

But ill check the file later to see what the problem was.

the error says something about the image beeing to large.

If you upload stuff just make sure your images have a sane resultion and arent broken.

(But that bug has to be fixed...ill ask thomas when i see him)

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I'd rather this not become a witch hunt.   What happened, yes, but not who

agreed. i don’t think that would be helpful. 

also, thank you linuxgurugamer for all the time you put into these mods. you are the backbone of this community

Edited by Cochise

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I'd rather this not become a witch hunt.   What happened, yes, but not who

1 hour ago, VITAS said:

i agree about the "who"

36 minutes ago, Cochise said:

agreed. i don’t think that would be helpful. 

Ok guys I get it... 

I agree with you.

I personally do not need, or want, to know "WHO"... not looking to point the finger or anything, I'm not that type of person... but if Vitas knew who... maybe by luck they could be a forum user... and maybe inform them via a polite PM to explain their error. 

Just a thought.

Thanks for explaining the "What"

Edited by TheKurgan

Was not my intention to pile on. Sorry about that.

Not an active forum person so I was responding to getting a ton of emails saying people were replying to my post.

Edited by Snark
Fixed some formatting problems for you ;-)

18 hours ago, VITAS said:

i agree about the "who". Especialy because im convinced it was the poor code quality of the site and not the person who is to blame.

so basicly: im the red haired herb knowing turban wearing bearded person :P

But ill check the file later to see what the problem was.

the error says something about the image beeing to large.

If you upload stuff just make sure your images have a sane resultion and arent broken.

(But that bug has to be fixed...ill ask thomas when i see him)

First rule of web dev, validate the crap that the idiot users put in.  :D That said, I'm gonna go check how insane my splash images are.  I think some are double resolution (aka 2x 1920x1080).

About the Problem in general (with the SIte):

- Im the only one left keeping it running ( Linuxgurugammer offered his help with admins tuff and i will take him up on it. Thomas is always there if i call for him but cant fix the code by himself)

- The sites code is a mess and needs urgent fixing (to keep running) and a total recode (adding the simplest of features isnt possible in the current state)

- The server im running the site on gets old (its a 2011 i7 with 32gb ram and gbit uplink). A new server exists for some time now but i havent migrated to it yet (time and the issue of it having only 500gb of space and thus not fitting all of my stuff)

- Time. Ive a day job (i didnt have one when i took over the site) where i spend 9+h a day fixing someone elses projects for money. When i get home my motivation to spend more time in fornt of a computer fixing stuff isnt that big.

But:

- I love doing the Site!

- Providing Server Resources and maintining complex infrastructures (and in fact fixing them) is what i love.

- I know how hard it can be to be young or new in IT and not having the resources to get ones projects going (servers and bandwidth aint something everyone can afford...especialy to give it away). Ive got a lot of connections from my over 20 Years working in IT and my Computer Club activities. So im happy to offer my sureplus to thankfull people (and yes i also take donations of money, time, expoertiese, hardware, bandwidth and so on. Because we can always improve spacedock or give other (KSP community) projects a hand)

- I instantly would recode the Site IF: i had time and wouldnt be so afraid of having to migrate the current data to it.

- Donations arent only money but show me how important my work is to many (in a number).

- I had several instances where i met people in reality and it turned out that they played ksp and used spacedock. Its a nice feeling to hear something like "what? Thats you? Wow, thank you!"

- When the site isnt working i often feel like im the person beeing andgry about myself the most. I always expect an angry mob (like im used to at work) to come after me. And EVERY time you ALL surprise me by beeing so understanding. Thank you, its a rare thing in society and especialy the internet.

Bottom line:

I will continue to keep the Site running, but it needs (code) maintenance.
The code is on github. So please help fix it.
If you dont know how to code you could learn it this way.

2 minutes ago, TiktaalikDreaming said:

First rule of web dev, validate the crap that the idiot users put in.  :D That said, I'm gonna go check how insane my splash images are.  I think some are double resolution (aka 2x 1920x1080).

I know. And i know positioning of images on the site is a nightmare.
I would do so many things differently if i could recode everything.
(Remember i inherrited the code from kerbal stuff and didnt write any python for over 10 years till then)

6 minutes ago, VITAS said:

I know. And i know positioning of images on the site is a nightmare.
I would do so many things differently if i could recode everything.
(Remember i inherrited the code from kerbal stuff and didnt write any python for over 10 years till then)

Yeah, I know where the code comes from.  And reading someone else's code can generate planet sized headaches.  I'm gonna grab the git repo and have a look at stuff.  I can't promise much, I've done my best to avoid python, and I haven't touched web dev for 10-15 years now.  But I've always been better at debugging logic/algorithms etc than actually coding.  And more eyes.  :D

3 hours ago, VITAS said:

- Donations arent only money but show me how important my work is to many (in a number).

- I had several instances where i met people in reality and it turned out that they played ksp and used spacedock. Its a nice feeling to hear something like "what? Thats you? Wow, thank you!"

In case it boosts your morale, SpaceDock is a major boon for CKAN. Its automatic pull requests for new mods make life much easier for modders and for the CKAN team. And of course it's worth noting that SpaceDock is CKAN's #1 mod download host (measured by number of URLs indexed):

33961440-b341a952-e013-11e7-8951-03c3984

3 hours ago, VITAS said:

- When the site isnt working i often feel like im the person beeing andgry about myself the most. I always expect an angry mob (like im used to at work) to come after me. And EVERY time you ALL surprise me by beeing so understanding. Thank you, its a rare thing in society and especialy the internet.

The current uptime is impressive given the project's organizational status. If anything you have my gratitude and praise, rather than criticism.

8 hours ago, VITAS said:

The code is on github. So please help fix it.

Should we focus on the dev branch or the master branch? I think I had to re-do my first SD PR because the default branch is dev but PRs are supposed to be against master. Fixing that would remove a speed bump for anyone trying to help.

Maybe it would be a good idea to add "Help Wanted" to this thread's title, and a short blurb to the OP about where to go to start? It sounds like the project is endangered, and it would be a shame if opportunities to aid it were missed.

In light of the recent activity on this thread, I think it is a good idea to point out this github issue, dealing with the project of rewriting the software SpaceDock uses: https://github.com/KSP-SpaceDock/SpaceDock-Backend/issues/5

The plan is to have a backend API that just gives out JSON responses, and a frontend that uses JavaScript to query and display the data. This also opens the door to clustering SpaceDock (having multiple API nodes and one cheap webspace that serves the frontend)

If you have experience with HTML, JS and partially PHP, and you want to help with SpaceDock, you can always get in touch with us in #spacedock on espernet.

While I agree that we have to fix critical bugs in the current software, I think that finishing the new system would be the better long-term solution (since the current code is a terrible mess). I simply think that python isn't able to handle the amount of requests a site like SpaceDock gets efficiently, thats why I wrote the new backend in Go.

@HebaruSan I set the default branch of the Github Repository to master, since thats what is closest to the code running on VITAS host. However, I am unsure how extensively the code that is running was modified without pushing the changes (I recall VITAS doing something to it).

Edited by Thomas P.

Just now, linuxgurugamer said:

@Thomas P.

I have a bash script which I use to generate a better .netkan file than what Spacedock currently makes.  While Spacedock makes life easier, a significant number of .netkan files have problems in one form or another.  Would you be interested in it?

Sure. The current code is basically just guessing and hoping nothing breaks.

Would help with the website if I could, but I'm a python programmer and a scientist, which is to say, I'm self taught and don't write very professional code :/ 

Had no idea SpaceDock was run by such a small crew. Will donate when I can get to the website again. 

Wanted to register just to say thanks; I got into KSP recently (loving it so far!) and sites like SpaceDock are really helpful.

That said, however; it seems like the server is blacklisting IPs or I've made it angry somehow -- I wanted to install some mods through CKAN and I got 403 errors. Tried the same link through SSH on an AWS Linux server and it worked.

403 errors

Ive blocked some ips of some scrapers. I know most users have dynamic ips. so my blocking could be to broad.

(Send me a private message via the forum with your ip so i can check and make exceptions)

The server also uses mod evasive.So excessive requests can temp block ips.

Replacement code development

I noticed Thomas has done some work on his code replacement for SpaceDock. Thank you for getting baack to it.

@Thomas P. I Dont even recall what i did to my production version but we can find out whats missing by test deploying the github code (I could try to commit/merge the production code). Theres this whole 8 core 64gb server standing arround for month now. And i cant get arround setting it up :/

Downtimes

Apache got stuck again. (My response times are alligned with GMT +1 sleep cycles.)

Because of reasons (see below) i wasnt able to prepare everything for linuxgurugamer to help me  maintain the site (as Sysadmin).

In other news

Im unemployed again. so ive to give finding a new job priority.

(That came unexpected and as always at the wrong time)