SpaceDock.info (Mod Hosting Site)

VITAS

40 minutes ago, VITAS said:

Waiting for the bugfix .1 release :D
The suspense is killing me. ;)

Has one been announced?  GoG still doesn't have 1.7.0 available for Linux, and I wasn't sure if it was similar to 1.4 where they didn't bother with 1.4.0 since 1.4.1 was right around the corner.

No but unlike "Industry 4.0" there are most likely bugfix releases. Sadly noone at squad or take2 cares to tell me in advance. Im most likely even more surprised when a new version comes out than you. :D

• 4 weeks later...

@VITAS No rush, and please check at your leisure...
But SD seems to be down for me right now...

I checked on three or four of the top "is it down..." website results on Google, and all reported it was down... vOv

Again, no rush... Whenever you can...

As always,  THANX for what you do ;)

Hello everyone! I can't get on Spacedock. Could I know why please? My internet connection is always at it's full performance and I'm having no problems getting on other websites. It tells me "ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT" .

Hmm.. i just reported this on the SD thread (which seems the best place to do it?)...
but it seems to be up for me now... dont know if it was just a short burp, or what vOv
EDIT: nope... loaded for a second, but now not responding... best to just quit trying for awhile, rather than hammering it with traffic if/while it is down.

best thing to do if it seems to be down for you, is to at least google "is it down" , run a check on the first couple or moar links, before reporting an outage here on the forums...

And be patient ... its basically only one or a couple of people that are supporting the whole site...

Edited by Stone Blue

You can also volunteer to help @vitas. He's pretty much doing the whole thing alone, and money doesn't necessarily help as much as having even a second set of eyes. (although enough money could rent extra eyes of course, but I doubt the patron thing is bringing  him quite enough for that)

Ups! Just hit Apache with a wrench. Now its behaving again.
In terms of help there are two kinds of tasks:
Help with the code on Github (its a mess) https://github.com/KSP-SpaceDock

OR

setting up a new clean instance on the new server i will be migrating to at some point (and then helping me kick the site if it goes down in the future). <- id prefer a group consisting of well known forum members to come together

Server resources are not my problem (But iam still paying a big chunk of them myself so donations are always welcome).

Sorry again for the downtime.

Edited by VITAS

On 5/12/2019 at 7:34 AM, VITAS said:

Thank you too for playing. There will be another chance in august. :P

I would recommend setting up a crontab task to just auto restart the server once a month.

I would normally just say to restart Apache, but from the Apache servers I manage it is almost always Java crapping out, and sometimes it won’t even shutdown properly requiring a process kill.

Hence the nuclear option is more reliable.

Edited by MechBFP

you might be right. 

it might be worth migrating to ngnix or similar if thats more stable. 
in my planed new setup apache webserver will only act as source for static content. The role of reverse Proxy will be filled by apache trafficserver. That might eliminate the current problem.
I will also be able to run SpaceDock ins seperate instances. So i can let (trusted) others kick it too if need be.

Moving a server that grew over 8 years (not only SpaceDock is running on it) isnt a small task and thats why im at it for quite some time now. :)

Edited by VITAS

I want to get away from using Webserver as reverseproxy (As im doing now with apache webserver).
Thats why im now migrating towards apache trafficserver (https://trafficserver.apache.org/ no it has nothing to do with "apache webserver").
My belive is that a focused software is better at its job than one who tries to be many things to everyone. :)

I allready have everything set up on the new machine. Im a bit slow migrating all the services over, because i dont want to have unneccesary outages and also want everything as solid and maintainable as possible..

Edited by VITAS

Nginx is really more of proxy server that happens to be able to serve some webpages. ;)  I've used both it and HAProxy; both have worked well and been easy to set up.   I haven't worked with TrafficServer, I'd be interested in your thoughts.

I used Trafficserver in the past. The project originated in the early 2000s at yahoo.

It enables fine caching controls (different volumes for different rulesets, ram caching, cascading, clustering,...)

Theres also the ability to get plenty of stats that help you improve your settings (cache hits and so on).

Also there are very complex rules you can define on what and how the proxy should handle requests. (e.g. only forward to this url with the params taken from the req. header if someone visits with this browser version from this referer at this time and date).

I also like the idea of having different machines/vms/containers for serving websites and for proxying everything to the outside. (Its like a sanatizer to me...makes sure ive https everywhere, enables HTTP/2 and so on)

On the con side:
There isnt much of a community and postings outside of the (extensive) official documentation.

People always assume youre talking about the webserver

Youve to learn a new software (if you know your webserver you know how to config it)...trafficserver has so many options and config files.
one more system to maintain

But im curious like you on how it performs with SpaceDock running trough it....like with many other firsts (for me) im working on for the new server.

I found this:

https://cdn.oreillystatic.com/en/assets/1/event/61/Deploying Apache Traffic Server Presentation 1.pptx

I dont know how new it is but interresting.

Edited by VITAS

Ill be moving spacedock.info and some other vital ones to a new nameserver today. There might be a small outage due to the regestry switching to the new nameservers and propagating it troughout the internet.
I triple checked everything and i hope this will be the only problem.
I will post when i start and finish the move.

I will also move the mail server next week (hopefully) and the week after that SpaceDock itself.
Both of these moves will cause problems and in the case of the SpacheDock move i will have to freeze changes to the site for a few hours (so no account or mod changes).

Some of the new Features the move will give us are: HTTP/2 support, SSDs, in memory caching of content, 12 more CPU cores to play with, double the RAM so baisicly: faster loading times.
I also now use LXC Containers/Jails. So i can accept help with running SpaceDock on the Serverside by giving them access to the shell.

Other resources:
Im also able to offer Server resources (for free) to any project that is non profit and gives something back to the community or society in general.
Theres also a bunch of Services allready runnign on the Server i can offer accounts for like:
BNC, NextCloud, Mailserver, Matrix IM, Alfresco EDM, git, web analytics, wordpress, rss reader/aggregator and nameservers.
Im also open for suggestions to host other usefull services.
Just write ma a PM here or a query in IRC.

Im now transfering the domains. (imagine a bad german version of english)

aaand theyre stuck in between registrars (says "need manual interaction"). so lets hope nothing happens (breaks) till tomorrow.

Whats the oposite of Denial Of Serverice attacks, when you constantly mail and call a company in the hope for them to anser your queations? Bombarding for Service?
At least thats what im doing right now. :)

I found a bug in my new Domain Hosters System. They try to fix it today. (Else they get another shouting).

SpaceDocks domain finished moving. I Hope the DNS works as planed.

Next stop: Moving SpaceDock itself.

Stay tuned.

Edited by VITAS