SpaceDock.info (Mod Hosting Site)

VITAS

On 5/19/2019 at 12:40 PM, VITAS said:

SpaceDocks domain finished moving. I Hope the DNS works as planed.

Next stop: Moving SpaceDock itself. 

Stay tuned.

Is this the reason for spacedock not being available at the moment or does the server require some love from the sledgehammer again?^^

1 hour ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Is this the reason for spacedock not being available at the moment or does the server require some love from the sledgehammer again?^^

It's behaving a little erratically lately. I'm getting errors on Chrome that resolve after a couple refreshes and CKAN download errors for mods hosted there that can usually also be resolved by a retry.

@4x4cheesecake idk... I been using SD on FF for the past hour or moar, and no issues at all ... vOv

There was a FF update yesterday... are you up to date?

EDIT: itr could be a regional internet thing again... I remember awhile back, where SD would be fine for some in one region of the world, but dead for others...
There was a way to check, but i forgot... there was a link, buried back in this thread

Edited by Stone Blue

18 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

@4x4cheesecake idk... I been using SD on FF for the past hour or moar, and no issues at all ... vOv

There was a FF update yesterday... are you up to date?

The last update for firefox was availble a couple of days ago and it actually broke some other stuff for me. A manual check for updates but FF keeps telling me, there are no updates, so I guess that's fine.

18 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

itr could be a regional internet thing again... I remember awhile back, where SD would be fine for some in one region of the world, but dead for others...
There was a way to check, but i forgot...

Well, since I can use spacedock on other devices which uses the same internet connection but a different browser, I kinda doubt that it is actually a local internet issue. Just in case, I'm going to change my default DNS server and probably create a new FF profile. I'll report back if anything of it helps :)

Anyway, since it works for you, it is an issue on my end...that's annoying for me but good news for VITAS :D 

edit: Ok, I changed my default DNS server to 8.8.8.8 (google) and now it's working properly again.... :) I actually didn't expect this to work since my other devices uses the same network but I forgot, that my wifi traffic is redirected through a "Pi-Hole" which uses a different DNS server but my desktop PC is directly connected with a LAN cable and uses the default DNS server configured in the access point. Every other devices is connected via wifi so....yeah, it wasn't the browser but the network connection^^

Edited by 4x4cheesecake

he did warn us that there would be periods of outages during the server hardware migration..keep your helmets on fellas..hardware migration is never an easy process and there are almost ALWAYS unexpected hiccups along the way.

a scifi cgi site I used to frequent had to swap server hardware completely for new stuff, they moved the hard drives over and one of the drives cooked itself, corrupted so badly they had to replace it outright. fortunately...no important data was stored on it, it was one of the backup storage units that did it..

just an example here, so lets give the man some space so he can take care of this, WITHOUT us breathing down his neck and increasing the chances of operator error as it were..

Hi,

so the story was:

Tee domain got stuck in transfer for a week. The old hoster refused to give his ok earlier. It was (ofcause) transfered at a random time i wasnt near a computer and mapped to a DNS server that wasnt fully ready for it.

If it isnt working for you please report. :)

the server hasnt moved only the domains and the nameservers.
In order to be able to do DNS-01 challenges with Lets encrypt ive to host my own primary DNS.
Thats what im doing now (It wasnt possible to change the Nameservers of my former Domainhoster so i had to switch that too).

the TTL is quite short because i will also move the site from the old to the new server in the coming days (Yes i will post before i start).

21 minutes ago, VITAS said:

i will also move the site from the old to the new server in the coming days (Yes i will post before i start).

Yes, please post beforehand... I make *extensive* use of SpaceDock, almost daily :P

Also, be aware, KSP 1.8.0 update and the new DLC are *supposedly* due to drop the end of this week, but moar probably the beginning of next week... So I would expect lots of devs wanting to get new updates out, and users to want *immediate* access to them... lol

If it takes moar than a day or two to do the move, and make sure everything is stable, *and* if everything is *currently* stable, maybe it might be better to wait a couple weeks for the move? vOv .. until after the dust settles from 1.8.0 release?

Edited by Stone Blue

hmm i should speed up moving the site then.

i ofcause will setup the new instance and test it before closing the site for a bit to move the latest version (db and also files).

it might be possible to put it into read only mode.

i try my best to keep outages / problems to a minimum and to be as transparent as possible. :)

Heres the new instance im working on: https://sd1.52k.de

(Should be like spacedock.info but older data)

Im now fixing the missing parts and try to make it faster.

Please check for stuff thats working on spacedock and not on sd1.

Notify (CKAN and E-Mail) is disabled for now. I dont want to confuse everyone.
You can post and alter as you like. i will overwrite everything when i move the site.

Cant get the site below 6s uncached and 1.5s for subsequent loads.

If there arent any complaints and i can sort out the ckan stuff with the ckan people i can move the site today (within 12h) or tomorrow (within 32h). Its now 07:42 GMT
Any objections?

Edited by VITAS
move date

Finished.
There where some problems with redirects not working propperly (it redirects to the internal FQDN or IP). If something like this is spotted (sd1.52k (without .de)) please notify me here.

Edited by VITAS

Thank you. Im sure i can make it even faster if i tweak the caching and threads a bit.

old server: 4 core i7 from 2011, 32 gb ram , magnetic drives, http/1, apache webserver as rev proxy

new server: 16 cores AMD from 2018, 64GB ram, SSDs (with external storage for modfiles), http/2 , trafficserver rev proxy

Thats one feature i would love to have: flagging versions as dev/beta so modders can upload mods for them but they arent automaticly chosen as current/default version.

SO many idears for when i finaly get arround to rewriting everything (and finishing it). :)

Edited by VITAS

@VITAS getting a 502 proxy error, and SD not loading...
Should we continue posting issues as we see them here in the thread, or.... ??

EDIT:... uh... nvm? vOv... just now tried again and it looks ok ??? :face_palm:
seems to be reeaalll slowloading tho

Edited by Stone Blue

Somehow process keep getting stuck darklight & i are currently looking at it.

Darklight is going trough the server complaining about his own code from years ago. :D

Edited by VITAS

36 minutes ago, VITAS said:

Darklight is going trough the server complaining about his own code from years ago. :D

Hmm, sounds familiar to me...

"What id*ot wrote THAT?!?"

*looking at changelog in Git

"Oh....."

Edited by Nils277

no he doesnt seem to remember it was him. :D

i take it as sign of progress in his skillset. :)

And by fixing spacedock he again proofed to be better at linux than me :)

Stuff keeps crashing but i might found the problem and not only solved it but made the site faster.
Lets hope it works (because ive to go to bed now).
My tests show site loading speeds as low as 800ms and averages arround 2s (from germany) and 4s from sydney.

Just DOSed my own server and it survived. :)

Lifting the server siege...      done.

Transactions:                   2451 hits
Availability:                 100.00 %
Elapsed time:                 106.10 secs
Data transferred:             154.52 MB
Response time:                  4.21 secs
Transaction rate:              23.10 trans/sec
Throughput:                     1.46 MB/sec
Concurrency:                   97.14
Successful transactions:        2451
Failed transactions:               0
Longest transaction:           12.64
Shortest transaction:           0.38

The Site seems to be still up. Im a very happy camper. :)

Edited by VITAS