SpaceDock.info (Mod Hosting Site)

VITAS

There will be a downtime for SpaceDock in 1h  for 30min to fix the problem above.

Finished the update.

The Bug should be fixed.

Edited by VITAS

Just now, VITAS said:

There will be a downtime for SpaceDock in 1h  for 30min to fix the problem above.

This really is the end of the world!!!

PANIC!!!

Got that nasty bug fixed. Uploads/Downloads should work fine again now.
Thanks a lot to @godarklight for helping out there (and actually noticing the problem...)

If you find more bugs with our revamped code-base, please let us know here or on https://github.com/KSP-SpaceDock/SpaceDock/issues
(just now right now, I want to sleep now ;-) )

Thanks for the patience!

55 minutes ago, Nightside said:

Just trying to upload an update to a mod now and getting what seems to be the same issue mentioned on the last page (Publish an Update never finishes).

Thanks for everyone's hard work.

Thanks. Confirmed, reported to and "fixed" by VITAS by restarting the server.

Likely the storage making problems again, @VITAS needs to throw more bricks and exploding rockets at the datacenter people.

I'm also looking into why the error message is not shown after uploads...

Edited by DasSkelett

For people who encounter the same problem, that the follow button is hidden on SpaceDock:

This is caused by the adblocker addon Abblock Plus. To be precise, it's the "Block social media icons tracking" option.

We have a fix in progress (thanks to @JeffreyCor giving me the name of the adblocker causig the problem), but it will take some time until it gets deployed.
Until then,  you have several options to work around this:

1. (encouraged) Switch to a different, better adblocker. Adblock Plus is known to do some very sketchy things, for example whitelisting ads from certain advertising companies in exchange for money. They are basically selling ads themselves, instead of blocking them. The Wikipedia page has more information and links if you are interested.
    I personally would recommend uBlock Origin as a great alternative, but there are also others if you want. I can confirm that uBlock O works great with SpaceDock.
  2. Disable ABP on SpaceDock.info (we don't display any ads)
  3. Disable the "Block social media icons tracking" option in the ABP settings.

@VITAS

Uploads are hanging at Spacedock.

I have 4 different mods I'm trying to update.

It seems to upload, the bar moves all the way to the right, then hangs

Please ping me when fixed so I can finish my updates.

As always greatly appreciated, I just checked to be sure that I'm still doing the Patreon donation every month.

LGG

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

@VITAS

Uploads are hanging at Spacedock.

I have 4 different mods I'm trying to update.

It seems to upload, the bar moves all the way to the right, then hangs

Please ping me when fixed so I can finish my updates.

As always greatly appreciated, I just checked to be sure that I'm still doing the Patreon donation every month.

LGG

Thanks for the report, on it.

@all   we will take SpaceDock offline in about 30 minutes for a short time (max. 1 hour) to try and fix the upload problem.

Aaaand we're up again. Thanks for your patience.

Edited by DasSkelett
SpaceDock's up again

• 2 weeks later...

Update, explanations & call for contribution

Why is SpaceDock down so often / why cant i upload things from time to time

The Backstory
More than a year ago i moved servers (Having the old one since 2012 and still sporting aging magnetic drives).
Because SpaceDock wouldn't fit on the new SSD RAID i rented some "cloud" storage from my server provider, that i can mount from within the datacenter.
Sadly there seems to be some miss-communication between their tech guys and marketing.
The tech guys set it up as backup solution while marketing sells it as "Storagebox" to use for all your cloud storage needs.

The layout
SD is running inside several LXC containers. Storage is mounted on the container host (via smb (nfs isnt supported)) and issued to the containers as virtual disks.
Mounting it directly directly into the container didn't help and causes potential security problems.
Only uploads are stored on external storage. A caching reverse Proxy delivers 87% of all requests from ramdisk.

I put a large emphesis on not sharing user data with other companies without your consent or knowlege.
That's why i don't use cloudflare or other "free" services.

The Problem
Seems like my storage is moved between servers from time to time changing the ip address. They update dns but my server caches dns answers.
The Problems to reach the Storage wile its moved and until my server has updated its DNS cache results in failures to write.
This in turn lets the filesystem layer think that the disk is broken and causes it to go into read-only-mode (Preventing the website from writing new uploads to it).

The current solution

It seems like i cant get the OS to return to normal without not only rebooting the VM/ Container but i have to reboot the whole physical Server (with all the other VMS that not only share the system but also the Problem).

Youve seen the Effects: it takes some time to reboot and results in down times.
(Sometimes ive to reboot 2-3x till everything is back to normal).

The real solution

Move to another storage
- Add Magnetic drives to current server
- find low cost save storage (if its across the interwebs it needs to be encrypted (at least in transit))
- Rent another server just as file server

Bottom Line

I cant afford solving this with the level of donations i get and losing my job because of corona.

So we have to live with it for the time being.

I hope explaining it to you helps at least understand why this is happening.

What else is happening?
Development
@DasSkelett @HebaruSan and others had mercy and are improving SpaceDocks code for weeks now.

I cant put in words how happy i'am that especialy @DasSkelett is putting in so many hours improving things.

Helping with coding

I'm sure hes happy for everyone willing to dive into python with @DasSkelett.

I on the other hand are trying to do something about the frontend code and welcome every help with html/css (bootstrap)/js (jquery)

You can contact us at the official SpaceDock Chat (its on https://spacedock.info , irc, matrix and discord)

I understand that not everyone is willing to learn coding. If you are among those you can always help by donating.

Beta

We have a beta Setup where you can test upcoming fixes to the Site and report Problems with them on Github: https://beta.spacedock.info/

Will SpaceDock support other games like KSP2 or Balsa?

If those games allow us to distribute mods like KSP does i will support them like i do with KSP.
There wasn't a statement how modding will be handled in those games yet.

Thank you for being such a great bunch of people. Stay healthy. :)

Thankyou so much for the awesome explanation and I am so sorry you are unemployed due to Covid19 its impacted the whole world and everyone has become a victim in some way. I for one cant thank you enough for your efforts.

Edited by Virtualgenius

On 5/31/2020 at 5:24 AM, VITAS said:

Beta

We have a beta Setup where you can test upcoming fixes to the Site and report Problems with them on Github: https://beta.spacedock.info/

Announcement: There is a fresh batch of changes at https://beta.spacedock.info/ as of a few minutes ago that will likely go live on the production site this month or next. Anyone can create an account to try them out. Details of what's been added or changed listed here:

The main user-visible changes are that you can change your password on your profile, and the short description strings of mods will be shown on their pages. The link to report bugs is:

• 4 weeks later...

There will be a downtime of SpaceDock on the 30th this month. (somewhere between 8:00 - 16:00 CET ) to allow the Datacenter to work on their storage.

I will post here before and after the downtime.

KSP 1.10 will also be added at this point.

Edited by VITAS

Reminder, SpaceDock is going to have some scheduled downtime for maintenance starting about 14 hours from now, expected to last up to 8 hours. Some significant infrastructure and code updates will take place, which may require some fast reactions and hot patching with hair on fire despite extensive preparations, so the 8 hours is not a 100% guarantee. Please be patient and do not freak out.

On 6/4/2020 at 4:44 AM, HebaruSan said:

Announcement: There is a fresh batch of changes at https://beta.spacedock.info/ as of a few minutes ago that will likely go live on the production site this month or next. Anyone can create an account to try them out. Details of what's been added or changed listed here:

The main user-visible changes are that you can change your password on your profile, and the short description strings of mods will be shown on their pages. The link to report bugs is:

From a very quick trial run, this seems to work very nicely.  Good work

To all, 

I have a regular monthly contribution going to Vitas through Patreon and as of now I am doubling it.  It would be nice if others does the same. I hope that my example will inspire other people will do the same to help him out in his costs

Linuxgurugamer

Edited by linuxgurugamer

17 minutes ago, TiktaalikDreaming said:

From a very quick trial run, this seems to work very nicely.  Good work

Thanks for taking a look! There were two more bundles of changes since then, if you're interested:

... but they'll be live for everyone in prod soon enough.

Yup, replying again to keep it visible near the bottom, with revisions:

14 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

Reminder, SpaceDock is having some scheduled downtime for maintenance NOW, expected to last up to 8 hours. Some significant infrastructure and code updates will take place, which may require some fast reactions and hot patching with hair on fire despite extensive preparations, so the 8 hours is not a 100% guarantee. Please be patient and do not freak out.

On 5/22/2020 at 3:20 PM, DasSkelett said:

Okay now for real:
SpaceDock is up and running again. Everyone who had experienced upload problems, please try again.

Please report if something isn't working as intended yet.

It doesn't work in Poland right now.