SpaceDock.info (Mod Hosting Site)

VITAS

On 5/12/2021 at 11:37 PM, Superfluous J said:
  • No
  • No (obviously I don't get them but if I did, they wouldn't be useful)
  • No (again I don't get them, but if I did it'd be my own fault so how could it be annoying)

As  @Superfluous Jso lovingly said, if you don't want to be notified, don't follow the content. 

That being said, I love SpaceDock. It is a treasure along with CKAN. Thank you for all the work (and $$) you put into it.  Being a part of several modding communities, many Kerbonauts don't know how great we have it, relatively. 

On 5/13/2021 at 4:52 PM, HebaruSan said:

... and that's all, folks! Final summary of feedback:

Replies: ~19
Users who like this notification: 7.5   (counting ambiguous or conflicted responses as 0.5)
Users who dislike this notification: 3   (counting @flart's original request)

We may make some changes, but just dropping this surprisingly well-beloved notification won't be one of them. The announcement has been removed from the top of SpaceDock, and we now return you to your regularly scheduled idle SpaceDock forum thread.

A big thanks to all who shared points of view!

Aww I just read the pull, in my mind I could hear the sad trombone riff. You were really hoping for the obviously easier fix. Can't wait to see what 'more customization options' looks like. :happy:You're doing kerbal-god's work. You are on my list of frivolously large donations should I win the  lottery.

40 minutes ago, snkiz said:

Aww I just read the pull, in my mind I could hear the sad trombone riff. You were really hoping for the obviously easier fix.

Pretty much, the term I'm familiar with is "low-hanging fruit."

Can't wait to see what 'more customization options' looks like. :happy:

I'm picturing a giant table where each row represents one mod the user is following, each column represents one kind of email that might be sent, and in the cells are checkboxes or a nicer looking toggle control. Somewhere there are additional controls for turning whole rows and columns on and off at once. I have not done any work in that direction yet, but it should at least be possible to add on to SpaceDock's data model (a few new columns for the mod_followers table).

You're doing kerbal-god's work. You are on my list of frivolously large donations should I win the  lottery.

Thanks, that's really nice to hear! Can I name a charity instead?

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

I noticed something odd. 
There is only one mod that appears on Spacedock for Balsa. 

Yeah, @VITAS thought it would be cool to host mods for @HarvesteR's new game, so Balsa got enabled on SpaceDock (there are another 20,256 games in the database in the background, but they're all disabled, which has contributed to slowing the site down in the past). I don't think there are any mods for Balsa yet, though.

1 hour ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

https://spacedock.info/mod/2696/Kerbin1's Super Cool Mod
The source code and forum thread both link to the FFT repository and thread, respectively. 
im not sure what’s up with this. 

Somebody's experiment or little joke, I guess. It seems to contain the macOS version of this, not a mod for Balsa (or any other game):

Like all NASA's official creations, it's public domain, so the copyright owner probably isn't going to ask VITAS to take it down.

Downtime for Server Updates 2021-05-30 17:28

Hi SpaceDock users! SpaceDock will be unavailable for about an hour starting 2021-05-31 10:00 UTC to install several fixes and improvements:

• Eliminate 90% of backend CPU usage by caching templates (faster page loads, possibly)
  • Improve the appearance of mod thumbnails
  • User profile links handled better
  • Ensure notifications are sent to CKAN properly at mod creation

I am not sure if this is what brought around the changes I saw today, that can be summarised as an icon-only mod-listing display with no names. The problem is that some mods have good icons, which are part of their brand, and some very much don't. Not being able to see mod names at this level is, frankly, confusing.

I wouldn't be surprised that downloading the mod-specific page for every mod to get that info is going to put a lot more load on the server. I suppose we can all make new icons which work with this wordless interface, but it is a long way from working.

I saw two cases of images-with-useful-text being used with most of the text being cropped from the icon, and three uses of an anonymous, low-contrast, placeholder icon. Kerbal Space Program may be rocket science, but running a website isn't.

I'm guessing you're talking about the mod boxes and thumbnails?

They should include the mod names.

If they don't you have a caching issue.

Could you post a screenshot?

Does anyone else has bad download speed coming back again? Mods download at 250kB/s atm

Likely Hezter routing having problem. I visited another hezter hosted website and same slow download speed. I vpn to Germany and the download speed works fine now.

Edited by ssd21345

On 6/6/2021 at 11:25 AM, VITAS said:

I'm guessing you're talking about the mod boxes and thumbnails?

They should include the mod names.

If they don't you have a caching issue.

Could you post a screenshot?

I have been digging in this. It's very definitely browser-specific, and it's not a side effect of local scaling settings. The Thumbnails appear to be vertically enlarged and overlap. Mozilla Firefox works. Since I run Linux, I can't test any Microsoft products, but it appears to be Chrome/Chromium code that is messing up, and not every version of that engine.

I don't have a way of adding images to my posts here which is compatible with my local security rules.

4 hours ago, Wolf Baginski said:

I have been digging in this. It's very definitely browser-specific, and it's not a side effect of local scaling settings. The Thumbnails appear to be vertically enlarged and overlap. Mozilla Firefox works. Since I run Linux, I can't test any Microsoft products, but it appears to be Chrome/Chromium code that is messing up, and not every version of that engine.

I don't have a way of adding images to my posts here which is compatible with my local security rules.

Chrome on Windows works fine for me. Firefox on Windows and Linux as well. This might or might not be a caching issue, since I know Chrome behaves differently there, and would explain why you see something that no one else sees.

But we can't help you further without screenshots, we need to see and understand what's going on. If for whatever reason you don't want to or are able to post images in the forum thread, you can open a issue in the SpaceDock repository and show us there.

57 minutes ago, CollectingSP said:

Yeah I’m also confused by the one singular balsa mod on the site.

anyone have any more info on this? 

On 5/29/2021 at 6:59 PM, HebaruSan said:

Yeah, @VITAS thought it would be cool to host mods for @HarvesteR's new game, so Balsa got enabled on SpaceDock (there are another 20,256 games in the database in the background, but they're all disabled, which has contributed to slowing the site down in the past). I don't think there are any mods for Balsa yet, though.

Somebody's experiment or little joke, I guess. It seems to contain the macOS version of this, not a mod for Balsa (or any other game):

Like all NASA's official creations, it's public domain, so the copyright owner probably isn't going to ask VITAS to take it down.

On 6/20/2021 at 8:38 PM, CollectingSP said:

Yeah I’m also confused by the one singular balsa mod on the site.

anyone have any more info on this? 

Yeah.. Balsa is still only in development/early access... I dont think its even released an alpha open to the general public yet.

The final major update, KSP 1.12.0, is now added to SpaceDock. May it be easy on your mods, so that you only have to press "Yes, update automatically", not "No, update manually".

Edit: And the first hotfix, KSP 1.12.1, has been added as well. May your saves no longer break without Making History DLC installed.

Edit: And the second patch release, KSP 1.12.2 has been added as well. May all your bases belong to us be anchored to the ground.

Edited by DasSkelett
KSP 1.12.2

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Starting: 2021-10-20 8:00 UTC

... SpaceDock will be unavailable for a little while to install several fixes and improvements:

... and much more, full details on GitHub.

NOTE: The downtime has been postponed by one week.

Edited by HebaruSan

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

working as intended (or better, in a few cases)

On 10/8/2021 at 5:09 PM, HebaruSan said:

At the moment it looks like load times are significantly better for all mod pages. I said "most" originally because I thought mods with a lot of releases would still be slow due to lots of on-demand Markdown rendering, but the affected mods are now loading pretty quickly regardless. Maybe that wasn't actually a problem, or maybe the other changes freed up so much CPU that the Markdown rendering can be done more quickly, it's not clear. In any case:

If you notice any page on SpaceDock taking more than 1 second to load, please share the URL with us on the forum or Discord or GitHub or wherever.

We are still capturing profiling data to measure how long page loads are taking, but it's a 1/1000 random chance that any request will be profiled, so if some small subset of mods are still slow, it may take us a while to find them that way. That's where your tips can be a big help, thanks in advance!

Edited by HebaruSan