SpaceDock.info (Mod Hosting Site)

VITAS

i think we can do that via the db and alert the ckan guys. can you post the link?

(you might also check if i was intelligent enough to add the disable option to edit mod )

@RA3236 the ckan button only sends a pull request to CKAN's NetKAN-meta - in any case you'll have to ask them to remove the PR. From our side that button only enables a picture, but we can disable the picture :P

(Keeping it accurate requires slightly tighter integration with the NetKAN project, which is something we can do - we just haven't)

On 09/05/2016 at 0:08 PM, VITAS said:

Would it help you to have the ability to add multiple description pages with menu?

Yep. I assume it'd be Markdown still, so any possibility of looking at the cursor mistracking going on in the editor? It's just a little bug but it's annoying.

Im now tweaking the browse mod list and im just baffeles by the amount of text that some authors have written in their "short" description. I dont know where to put that all :/

example:

I think that a lot of us agree that its the little details in games that make the biggest difference. With that in mind myself and Rob Forrest have set out to make a mod pack with all the little things that you dont see in the game. While this pack is mostly oriented towards an RP that we a part of and as such will feature mostly military related items, we will take requests for non military things as well and will respond to as many as possible. So let us know what you think so far and what you think should be included in the future. Thanks for your support and enjoy!

I urge everyone to shorten their short description to as few characters as possible because i will limit the character count with the next major version of the site.

thank you :)

We now have 600 KSP mods on spacedock :o

Thanks for choosing spacedock as your in-orbit replication station. :)

In order to show off all those gems i will be adding the ability for every (registered) user to link mod spotlight videos and let's plays to mods and packs on spacedock. Hope to see some great videos :)

In other news:

• ive been hard at work refining my frontend reimplementation. as soon as darklights reimplementation of the backend is ready ill put it up on dev.spacedock.info for more bugfixing. Once we run out of bugs it will move on to beta.spacedock.info for you to tell us where wrong with our bug count :P
  • the new frontend will only require some webspace with php & ftp access (no db or special things req.) if you have some spare webspace with some random (sub)domain we can map in our DNS please get in touch.
  • I might be very bussy with other things for a month (starting next week) so i wont be as omnipresent as iam now :)

@AlphaAsh I had a look at the cursor problem and for me it seems to be a problem with the editor code itself. i dont dare to replace it at this point but will change editors in the next major release.

11 minutes ago, VITAS said:

@AlphaAsh I had a look at the cursor problem and for me it seems to be a problem with the editor code itself. i dont dare to replace it at this point but will change editors in the next major release.

Thank you sir. If you do switch editors, please consider support for center alignment of content. That's a limitation of Markdown I haven't figured a way around.

@AlphaAsh Yes i will.

@CliftonM Yes Pagedown seems prommising. My current Frontend buuild uses markdown-IT as parser (i belive pagedown uses it too or is at least related)

I will offer markdown in the future as lagacy option (because i cant simply tell every author to go in and rewrite their descriptions once i switch over to anew system)

But i want to offer something more advanced that can have multiple pages as part of the mod detail page but can also function as standalone page. In essence it could be the nucleus of a Mod Homepage with blog and/or wiki (specificly for that mod) that even could feed back into your various other social platforms (e.g. autopost new blog posts on the forums).

For Spacedock itself i now settled on a modified version of wordpress whos content gets put into spacedock as site blog for us to anounce things. I did a site network setup on it but as far as i know it adds a lot of new tables for each new blog site you add so adding it for every individual user would cause a real mess of tables.

Dev status on the whole site rewrite (lets call it SpaceDock v3):

• I finished work on all public pages (admin and login requiering pages are missing)
  • Darklight got his backend rewrite runnign and i made parts of it work with my frontend

P.s. im spending quite some time to make the site as responsive as possible so you can get your spacedock fix while on the go :)

1 minute ago, VITAS said:

<snip>

Awesome!  Great job.  Thanks for putting so much work into this.  I know that using someone eles's code is not the most fun thing to do, and can be quite annoying to update/fix.  

The two reasons that Spaceport shut down was because:

1) Websites aren't cheap

2) There was a lack of appreciation and an excess of complaints

I think there should be a thread for people to post how grateful they are for Spacedock as a website that allow so many modders to show off their creations and to post suggestions.

And if you're going to complain, have a solution or don't complain at all

15 minutes ago, ImkSushi said:

Can I suggest that SpaceDock lets you select multiple mods and then download them all at one time (CKAN doesn't distribute .zips, and can also be a pain to set up).

YourKSPInstall/CKAN/downloads has all of the zip files. :wink:

@ImkSushi There is the idear to have some sort of "shopping cart" and then you can macke a public or private pack out of it or simply dl them once. But: im neck deep in spacedock coding tasks as is atm. So maybe if you help implementing it :)

@BNSF99 may i add: maintaining and improving them takes a lot of man hours. I wish i could do spacedock fulltime :)

In essence:

• appreciation gives me energy
  • help makes it easier
  • hardware/infrastructure donations give me the tools
  • money gives me time/the ability  to do it

It wont work with either of those missing

Edited by VITAS

24 minutes ago, VITAS said:

@ImkSushi There is the idear to have some sort of "shopping cart" and then you can macke a public or private pack out of it or simply dl them once. But: im neck deep in spacedock coding tasks as is atm. So maybe if you help implementing it :)

I enjoy coding, so if you tell me where I can learn how to code the language that spacedock is in, then I will try. If I can help in any way, then don't hesitate to ask.

@VITAS - Is there a way I could quickly and easily set up a SpaceDock testing environment?

EDIT:

In preview box.html, this line is:

<a href="{% if prevmode == "game" %}

But shouldn't it be "!=" instead of "=="?

Edited by Guest

@CliftonM The Repo comes with an install guide. The Lagacy one is mainly used as backend for my new frontend now. Darklight started writing a new Backend. The main task right now is to integrate all the functionality from the lagacy code into the new Backend as jsonp api so the frontend has content in it.

regarding the previewbox code: dont remember :) but i dont fix the lagacy code templates anymore. Ive rewritten all templates for my new frontend to use js ajax instead of serverside data rendering to be able to host the frontend on any webspace without the need for python support.

@ImkSushi The Lagacy code and Darklights new backend (short: SDB) is written in flask / python If you know any programming language it isnt that hard to get into it. Ill suggest you set up a local dev enviroment and play arround withg the sources. (links above)

Something about Flags:

As you all know the rules on SpaceDock state that a mod is something you have to code for.

We took that rule over from Kerbalstuff.

We choose not to enforce it because even if youre not coding you can make great stuff like Texture Mods.

BUT

Please dont flood the site with poorly made flag mods or rank gfx.

Be your own quality control and ask yourself if its only you beeing proud or if you think theres a realistic demand for it.

Thank you :)

@nebuchadnezzar squad should check that and alert me if thats the case.

@tg626 might be garbage but there isnt any "quality control" i can enforce. (see earlier posts of me rgarding flags and so on)