SpaceDock.info (Mod Hosting Site)

VITAS

7 hours ago, Andem said:

Well, we did really freak out, argue "Spam" the forums, Run amok, but at least we came through! :)

right? the local pitch fork store didn't know what was going on! 

2 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

I tried to create an anount on spacedock . It promised to send me an email (gmail) but it never arived. I won't upload my mods to spacedock unless spacedock send be an activation email.

I'm sure you've checked, but it's caught a few people out, the emails seem to be winding up in spam folders. 

11 minutes ago, katateochi said:

I'm sure you've checked, but it's caught a few people out, the emails seem to be winding up in spam folders. 

There was nothing caugt in the spam filter. Perhaps it has something to do with beeing an previously exisitng email adres?

8 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

There was nothing caugt in the spam filter. Perhaps it has something to do with beeing an previously exisitng email adres?

There's something weird going on with mail for spacedock.info.  My guess is the inability to receive mail is causing mail servers to baulk at delivering the sent mail.

VITAS said his logs show the mail is received by the remote MXs that spacedock is sending to, so something not related to DNS/RBL or header info is getting in the way.  All that end of it looks very well crafted.  TLS transport, MX exists, as does the spf TXT record.  EHLOs are by the book.  But the support email isn't receiving.  I suspect there's something wrong with mail reception and pickier servers then reject the mail due to no response from the sending mail server.

That said, I registered using 4 email addresses, two were delivered, two not.  One of each working and not working were gmail addresses.

some updates

server problems

were having a hd failure.

the server is now getting its drive replaced (im running raid 1 so no data will be lost)

email

we decided to see if google will play ball in the course of a week or so. if not we plan on discussing messures to take (e.g. outsorcing to a "google trusted" mail provider)

i f youre having problems getting your mail please show up in esper.net #spacedock and ask darklight or me to manualy activate you.

banners

i know what the problem is and after the server is sorted out i will adress that issue.

updates from github

were preparing a staging server to test new code before wie put it into production to preven surprises. until then no bugfix or feature from github will be deployed.

dontations

ims till thinking about the how.

there will be donations at some point.

logo

several ppl are making submissions everyone is welcome to make one.

we will decide on the one we use later

9 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

Looks good.... but..... a little constructive criticism:   The green color carried into the right hand block seems a bit TOO much, as that color DOES seem a bit hard on the eyes to me... ???

Thanks! I'll go change that.

9 hours ago, Dnaha said:

While its not hard on my eyes, I can see where you're coming from. Maybe a light grey there would be better?

Amazing work nonetheless.

A light gray in the mod description area like the current CKAN? If so, yes I can and will do that.

7 minutes ago, John FX said:

So funding wise, if just a few hundred people donated $1 a month that would pay for the site?

I`d go for that.

Yeah, or $2. That's still less than the crappy Gas Station coffee.... :)

OKAY! Whatever you guys and gals did to the site, GREAT JOB!

I just tried it, it loaded the home screen in less than 2 seconds.

I'd be happy with 5, but 2 is good!

Just now, John FX said:

As I`m in the UK I would be very happy with the middle ground of £1

Well, £1 is $2 CDN, so I think we're on the same page. ;)

8 minutes ago, BinaryDude said:

My one question is, "How do we keep what happened to KerbalStuff from happening to SpaceDock?"

Well, money is a big issue. Even spread across 10 people all the time, $200/month is a bit of a nut to handle.

I would suggest a monthly subscription. $2/month is very reasonable.

AND...(putting on flame retardant coveralls)

Advertising. Sorry to mention this but business's want advertising to sell their merchandise, and SpaceDock needs a steady income that can pay for the bandwidth.

If SpaceDock is going to survive, it can't be run for the love of the game. It has to be run like a business.

Think of SpaceDock as.....a true alternative to Curse. Show it off like it is a true alternative to Curse.

Edited by GDJ

2 minutes ago, GDJ said:

AND...(putting on flame retardant coveralls)

Advertising. Sorry to mention this but business's want advertising to sell their merchandise, and SpaceDock 

If SpaceDock is going to survive, it can't be run for the love of the game. It has to be run like a business.

I would say not necassarily, but probably. Ad revenue will certainly help, but in light of the apocalypse shutdown you won't need avenue, at least not for a few months... :P

4 minutes ago, Andem said:

I would say not necassarily, but probably. Ad revenue will certainly help, but in light of the apocalypse shutdown you won't need avenue, at least not for a few months... :P

I agree. SpacePort as a bit of time in it's favour, but it's best not to wait too long.