SpaceDock.info (Mod Hosting Site)

VITAS

45 minutes ago, Gegenschein said:

I'm having a strange issue. I can't log in to my own account, but I am getting someone else's account. Kinda.

1. Navigate to Spacedock.info. Notice that the "Your Mods recently updated mods you follow" section is displaying mods that I never favorited.

2. Try to access my Profile, get UNAUTHORIZED error. Notice that the top corner says "Welcome crockpot84", not "Welcome Gegenschein"

3. Click Log Out in dropdown, get taken to a page listing KSP, Stardew Valley, Starbound, Factorio. (oh, cool. Mods for other games? Neat)

4. Log in, confirm that it says "Welcome Gegenschein" in the top right. Click KSP.

5. Notice that my "Your Mods" list is different, but still incorrect. Notice that I'm now logged in as "lambuck" Get UNAUTHORIZED error when I try to access profile.

6. Repeat steps 3-5 ad infinitum.

Whats up? I'm on my computer at work, but I'm the only one who uses this machine, much less logs into Spacedock with it.

Edit: I hit refresh a couple times, now i'm logged in properly as Gegenschein. Only, if I log out, I'm taken to the game selection page, and it says "Welcome Lexx" at top. If I click KSP, it logs me back in as Gegenschein, no password asked for.

Edit2: Now I can't access my own profile, It just gives me UNAUTHORIZED. I guess it has no idea who is logged in at all.

Doing the same thing for me. Reminds me of the issue that steam had a few months ago.

On 4/7/2016 at 7:45 AM, VITAS said:

regarding caps:

the font i use only has caps ...sorry :D

regarding bootstrap: yes it does and i hate it. maybe i will redo the templates from scratch.

If it does become an option to swap out for a different, small-caps-friendly typeface, I'd heartily recommend it, too. So many mod names are run-on phrases that will look bad in "yelling case" ;)

Edited by Beetlecat

was a caching issue on the server with sessions. should be fixed

darklight also burned some midnight oil fixing mod updates. and i integrated the short description if you hover over the thumbnails.

I'm confused. You have a dev, beta and live environment, yet the live environment seems to be changing every other hour. Quite honestly, I think some of the design decisions that I've seen made these last two days are (IMHO) not an improvement over what was a classically suitable layout inherited from KerbalStuff.

I know I only host my mods on SpaceDock but I do like to think that the main priority for the site was serving mods to the KSP community, and that the live site isn't a playground for trying out OMGBBQWOW design ideas.

1 minute ago, VITAS said:

so why do you mind so much then? :/

Because the original design was fine.

Because you keep shaking up a site that a large chunk of the KSP community go to to get mods.

Because you have two other environments you could try completing new layouts in. Trial them, get feedback, then push to live.

I know you are a community site but you're coming off amateurish and starting to make bloody Curse look attractive. That ain't right.

Thats your opinion and i know i cant please eaveryones tastebuts

We inherited a code base that needs some maintenance.

If you arent happy i welcome you to join the team and leave your mark.

Im sure you know that even intense testing doesnt find all the bugs so im sorry that this one slipped trough.

BTW We advertised the beta site beforehand and asked everyone to find bugs.

In what relation do you think SpaceDock is like curse?

2 minutes ago, VITAS said:

Thats your opinion and i know i cant please eaveryones tastebuts

Of course. And I appreciate that my criticism may not be welcomed. I'm just upset to see the site I'm using to host mods in a constant transitory state. That'll put off users.

We inherited a code base that needs some maintenance.

Okay. This requires design changes to your live environment every few hours why?

If you arent happy i welcome you to join the team and leave your mark.

Thanks. I'll just be unhappy.

Im sure you know that even intense testing doesnt find all the bugs so im sorry that this one slipped trough.

Erm, what? I didn't mention any bugs.

BTW We advertised the beta site beforehand and asked everyone to find bugs.

Ok. I didn't see your advert.

In what relation do you think SpaceDock is like curse?

SpaceDock wasn't anything like Curse. That does seem to be changing.

I'm fine with you guys finding your preferred look, I know it takes some trial and error. If I could make one suggestion, it would be to handle headers differently and with clearer instructions.

In my opinion, tileable headers is the wrong way to go. Tileable images are very hard to use for good design, since you have to take into consideration not only what the image will look like in it's own ratio, but also what it would look like in an infinite number of truncated situations while tiled. It's better to specify a certain ratio and then thumbnail that single header to fit various windown. Or to allow the user to upload headers with different ratios depending on the window it is to be used in. That could be bandwidth heavy though.

However, if you choose to stick with the tileable headers, it would help if the edit window where you drag it around had some sort of relation to the way the header will be centered.

To be clear, this is meant as constructive criticism. No more, no less. :)

hmm yes i know its hard to determine how the header and thumbnails will look like. i want to offer seperate uplaods for thumbnails so you can adjust it to the aspect ratio. But ill think about it when im about to implement it.

Regarding downtimes: we had some mishabs in the past days and im very sorry about that. When i set up the site it was a real rush and some decissions that where made at the time just came back to bite us. What ive been working on is to transition the initial hot needel setup into  something sustainable. For the amoutn of changes we made to the backend we had in fact very littel problems and downtimes. Just think about the introduction of the CDN. Nearly noone has even noticed that the site went from one to several servers which are using Geo Loadbalancing and so on. I wouldnt call such a setup and the transition amateurish. But i understand you just want the old days back. But those also resultit in a burnd out admin and the site suddenly shutting down. So please trust me that im not just playing arround.

Regarding coding:

at the moment its only darklight and me coding on the site and we could realy realy use more python coders.

1 hour ago, VITAS said:

i have most certainly gone waaaay overboard with the flip effect :0.0:

Yeah, had to fix that for ya. Just came to tell you that peeking at some mods on my iPhone is impossible because scrolling flips the names around so me and my terrible eyesight can't discern what mod I'm admiring...

Edited by Andem

The flipping is a bit too flashy and very distracting in my opinion and seems to have a bug if you hover over the edge of a mod it will keep flipping a bit and back which is quite annoying to watch.

A better solution would be to just fade the image away and have the text show up.

Something else i have noticed the first time i load SpaceDock it takes a few seconds before anything loads.

Just my 2 cents

Edited by SpaceTiger

about the flipping ill do exactly what youre pruposing but without fade to have the "noc click" time as low as possible.

about the loading times: i added some caching to the webserver and then found out it would mess with sessions so we disabled everything yesterday. Now we are testing the best settings on beta until we find a good set. shouldnt be long.

1 hour ago, VITAS said:

would a simple swap content effect be ok? so just hide the image and show the text.

ive to put the description somewhere. the only alternative would be tooltips.

yeah the flip is not pleasant, and not reliable either, sometimes you mouse over and it starts to flip then resets and then fully flips.  
my suggestion; add a black/grey element over the whole image with opacity 0 and on hover set that to fade to say opacity 0.6-0.8 and have the text overlaid on that.  That could be done just with CSS transitions with an easing, no need for js.