SpaceDock.info (Mod Hosting Site)

VITAS

SpaceDock now notifies NetKAN-bot when a mod updates, so if CKAN supports your mod, updates should instantly* be available in the CKAN program for downloading. Thanks to @techman83 for providing us with a webhook.

*Where instantly probably means somewhere around 1-2 minutes

"Add mod to CKAN" is still a manual process however, and this is unlikely to change because mods do not have a standard packaging format, and never will :wink:

7 hours ago, VITAS said:

To me its somewhat funyn how enraged a coder must be to use vars like that.

1 hour ago, xD-FireStriker said:

you are doing a better job then the guy who made kerbab stuff

I am a bit disappointed to see comments like this. At best it's rather out of place to now start pointing out flaws, when we've all benefited from the almost two years of hard work that 'coder/guy' put into creating and maintaining a community host for all those mods we all need nao. The 'guy' burned out doing this for us, and here we are being all catty about it. Can we not do that, please?

Improving or debugging code is hard work and needs effort and time. The work of the current admins deserves compliments. But neither of those warrant us resorting to comparisons or denigrating exposure - let's be honest here, at the time we were all too happy to (ab)use his hard work to our advantage.

36 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

Just wondering if anyone else having the whole site loading PAINFULLY slow for them since yesterday?

Yes, having the same issues.  First page better part of 30 seconds, then snappy to get to Newest Mods, then slow again trying to go to the second page.

7 minutes ago, NWRogue said:

Yes, having the same issues.  First page better part of 30 seconds, then snappy to get to Newest Mods, then slow again trying to go to the second page.

Hmmm... Mine is taking a couple minutes to load mod pages using forum direct links, then takes 5-10 mins after clicking the "Changelog" button, then another 5-10 mins for the download window to open after clicking the "Download" button for the relative mod vers......

Sorry for the page loading times.

We didnt manage to migrate the frontend to the cdn before the 1.1 flood hit the site.

I will make that happen on monday if our tests go well.

(i did what i could to kick python to get a move on for now)

in the meantime

ill suggest using ckan (our fileservers are as fast as ever)

2 hours ago, VITAS said:

Sorry for the page loading times.

We didnt manage to migrate the frontend to the cdn before the 1.1 flood hit the site.

I will make that happen on monday if our tests go well.

(i did what i could to kick python to get a move on for now)

in the meantime

ill suggest using ckan (our fileservers are as fast as ever)

Are the long loading times also interfering with uploading files?  I'm a new user to the site and I've been trying to upload a file. The screen says "Ready" and the loading bar gets full, but then just hangs there forever.

Thanks!

20 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

I am a bit disappointed to see comments like this. At best it's rather out of place to now start pointing out flaws, when we've all benefited from the almost two years of hard work that 'coder/guy' put into creating and maintaining a community host for all those mods we all need nao. The 'guy' burned out doing this for us, and here we are being all catty about it. Can we not do that, please?

@swjr-swis i didn't mean it like that, i am thankful for what he has done because without the first design we wouldn't have this, i just didn't like some aspects of the old design but because the ui was good and user friendly i liked it. i was just saying that he is doing a better job at the website ui then the guy who made kerbal sutff (and yes i dont know his name lol)

@TiktaalikDreaming sad? thing is that i allready was a sysadmin when the classics where contemporary.

Darklight seems to at least get the loading times down to saner levels. (or we scared everyone away)

Uploads and frontend are one thing because you use the frontend to upload and after that it gets distributed to the cdn.

to explain the server structor as of now:

we have one server for the frontend and multiple for downloads

we are planing to host the frontend on multiple servers too but as you can imagine this isnt as easy as with single files.

The Database needs to be in sinc between all nodes, uploads have to be synced, user sessions have to be known to all servers and so on.

Going with my policy of not using "free" external services to gurantee availability and to prevent leakage of userdata i wont be using any services like cloudflare but instead have my own network (like we allready do).

@swjr-swis I value your posts and your ability to ground everyone with them. It wasnt my intention to talk trash about the coder but found it some representation of the despear.

besides ive offered him my help back when he started but he refused/didnt reply.

And yes i get easy into an nerdrage over other peoples code but i guess others have the same with what i produce :)

9 hours ago, VITAS said:

@TiktaalikDreaming sad? thing is that i allready was a sysadmin when the classics where contemporary.

And yes i get easy into an nerdrage over other peoples code but i guess others have the same with what i produce :)

Back when Simon Travaglia was "publishing" the first time round I was still in Engineering, but most of my friends were IT of some flavour.  I was an advanced (l)User.  :-)

Someone else's code is the prime instigator of nerdrage.  It's impossible to not nerdrage. With the possible exception of code specifically designed to be understandable by others, aka textbook code. 

So i wanted to continue coding today but instead im reanimating both my desktop and my laptop (again!). Seems like my desktop HD is on the verge of dying and the laptop has serious fan and power connector issues. Thats what youll get when youre forced to use "youngtimer" pc parts that are over 4 years old. :(

@TiktaalikDreamingNow lieking this could be gotten wrong :>

Edited by VITAS

1 hour ago, VITAS said:

So i wanted to continue coding today but instead im reanimating both my desktop and my laptop (again!). Seems like my desktop HD is on the verge of dying and the laptop has serious fan and power connector issues. Thats what youll get when youre forced to use "youngtimer" pc parts that are over 4 years old. :(

@TiktaalikDreamingNow lieking this could be gotten wrong :>

:-D  Too familiar with where you are right now.  My PC case is currently open with temporary HDDs connected to copy stuff off the deceased drive that's steadily physically dying (with scary clicky noises) without once having a SMART alarm.  My PC is like the proverbial grand-father's axe.  I've never completely replaced everything at once since it was an AMD K2.  The old clunker is still going though.

ok result of half a days worth of trying to med my desktop: the boot drive is broken and the gfx card wont be detected. i hope ill find some space somewhere to at least try to rescue all my data. After that ive no idea how to fix this with the parts i have.

P.s. i dont understand why ppl "like" that ive got catastrophical computer failures :/

Edited by VITAS

watching "Where to invade next" by Michael Moore while waiting for disk scan to finish and saw this:

germany.png

As a german i must say: pretty fun facts :D

p.s. youre allowed to like that but remember: dont mention the war! :P

Edited by VITAS

On 23.4.2016 at 11:33 AM, godarklight said:

SpaceDock now notifies NetKAN-bot when a mod updates, so if CKAN supports your mod, updates should instantly* be available in the CKAN program for downloading. Thanks to @techman83 for providing us with a webhook.

*Where instantly probably means somewhere around 1-2 minutes

"Add mod to CKAN" is still a manual process however, and this is unlikely to change because mods do not have a standard packaging format, and never will :wink:

Is this also true when I host my own netkan (on github) but the "$kref" points to spacedock instead of github? (IE i did not use the "add mod to ckan button thingy" when uploading to spacedock)