SpaceDock.info (Mod Hosting Site)

VITAS

That's off-topic, guys. I want to hear folks' opinions about and experiences with this notification. Please don't clutter. Thanks!

On 5/8/2021 at 12:35 PM, HebaruSan said:

(And there's also no need to point out that not every user of the site reads this thread; I fully understand that, and it will be taken into account.)

Edited by HebaruSan

12 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

That's off-topic, guys.

Fair enough, and easy enough to correct (in this forum): I'll unfollow this thread to avoid superfluous notifications that might otherwise lead to cluttering feedback.  V(o.o)V

Well,  because email is often checked once in ever I would like for it to be an in-site feature like with the "Mods that you follow that were recently updated" feature and make it opt-out because I think that not every user with a lot of mods that they follow would like to see their email cluttered with the redundant messages .

On 5/8/2021 at 1:35 PM, HebaruSan said:
  • Have you ever clicked "follow" with the intention to wait for this specific notification?
  • Do you find this notification useful?
  • Do you find this notification annoying?

I typically click follow so that the mods I'm interested in show up on my profile page and I can access them readily. I rarely use email for anything, so by the time I get around to looking at it the information is already old.

So I find in neither particularly useful nor annoying.

Edited by Caerfinon

9 hours ago, Caerfinon said:

I typically click follow so that the mods I'm interested in show up on my profile page and I can access them readily. I rarely use email for anything, so by the time I get around to looking at it the information is already old.

So I find in neither particularly useful nor annoying.

Pretty much the same for me

On 5/8/2021 at 7:35 PM, HebaruSan said:
  • Have you ever clicked "follow" with the intention to wait for this specific notification?

In order:

yes
yes
no

Hi all, I'm seeking feedback from users of the site, please share your opinions. (Please try to keep it on topic, I want an answer to this specific question, not everybody's laundry list of annoyances and whatnot that I would then have to sift through. And there's also no need to point out that not every user of the site reads this thread; I fully understand that, and it will be taken into account.)

Currently if you click "follow" for a mod that is marked as being for an older game version, and then later the mod author marks the current release as compatible with the current game version, SpaceDock will notify you about this via email. (So we're not talking about a new mod version being uploaded, this is specifically about when that doesn't happen.) The email starts with "Hi there! Thought you would like to know that ModAuthor told us that version 1.2.3 of BestMod works great with KSP 1.11.2," if you are familiar with that from your inbox.

@flartis on record as not wanting this notification, and I see his point, but before removing it, I would like to make sure that would not cause problems for other users. Thanks in advance!

I like it, and yes I follow the mods I use or have used and I rely on those emails to tell me when to update to new versions. So yes, please keep them!!

On 5/8/2021 at 8:35 PM, HebaruSan said:

* Yes

* Yes

* No

Yes I do use follow to know when a mod is up to date, I do find that useful. The emails could be cut back to a weekly digest, but I know I can just turn them off.

That being said, I agree with flart, a like button as well would be useful. Right now, there's no good way to seperate mods I'm watching/like vs. mods I'm currently using. That would be helpful, as I like to install mods manually, I've had bad experiences with ckan.

No, yes, not really.

It's mostly useful in the sense of 'are the mod authors still paying attention to their mods' sense - it's sometimes nice to know that the mod author has actually tested it, and not just not looked at the mod under the current version of KSP.

As I said up earlier. An option to choose whether to receive the notification would be good.

Question: Is there a poll to get "Outdated Mod" on mod pages changed to "Not For Latest" ?

To have a new release immediately called Outdated feels wrong.

Also, many players do not rush to the very latest releases because the mods they have already, play well together in older releases.

The new changes break a lot of mods and it takes time for the Authors to find fixes to make them compatible.

Edited by ColdJ

On 5/8/2021 at 7:35 PM, HebaruSan said:

Yes

Not especially

No

On 5/8/2021 at 6:35 PM, HebaruSan said:

Hi all, I'm seeking feedback from users of the site, please share your opinions. (Please try to keep it on topic, I want an answer to this specific question, not everybody's laundry list of annoyances and whatnot that I would then have to sift through. And there's also no need to point out that not every user of the site reads this thread; I fully understand that, and it will be taken into account.)

Currently if you click "follow" for a mod that is marked as being for an older game version, and then later the mod author marks the current release as compatible with the current game version, SpaceDock will notify you about this via email. (So we're not talking about a new mod version being uploaded, this is specifically about when that doesn't happen.) The email starts with "Hi there! Thought you would like to know that ModAuthor told us that version 1.2.3 of BestMod works great with KSP 1.11.2," if you are familiar with that from your inbox.

@flartis on record as not wanting this notification, and I see his point, but before removing it, I would like to make sure that would not cause problems for other users. Thanks in advance!

I found it a bit annoying and not very useful 

Thanks to all who have replied so far! Here's an updated tally...

Replies: 15
Users who like this notification: 5.5   (counting ambiguous or conflicted responses as 0.5)
Users who dislike this notification: 2.5   (counting @flart's original request)

I have to admit I find these results surprising, but that's why it can be super helpful to collect feedback!

I'll probably keep this going about one more day, since the cost of leaving it open is low compared to the value of a few more replies. Then it looks like I'll be closing my pull request to remove this notification and writing a brain dump somewhere about what we've learned from this. Thanks again for all who took the time to answer, and if you haven't yet, it's not quite too late!

• Have you ever clicked "follow" with the intention to wait for this specific notification? YES
  • Do you find this notification useful? YES
  • Do you find this notification annoying? NO

On 5/8/2021 at 12:35 PM, HebaruSan said:

I've always found it useful to know which mods I actually need to download and update. But to answer your questions specifically, 1) no, 2) yes, 3) sometimes (Only after KSP updates.)

1 hour ago, shdwlrd said:

I've always found it useful to know which mods I actually need to download and update.

I've always found KSP-AVC does wonders for that ;)...
...At least for the mods that are helpful to users by supporting it... :(

Edited by Stone Blue

12 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

I've always found KSP-AVC does wonders for that ;)...
...At least for the mods that are helpful to users by supporting it... :(

I typically use CKAN for keeping my mods up to date. I prefer to keep a local copy of the mod on my computer incase it breaks or I don't have internet access.

• No
  • No (obviously I don't get them but if I did, they wouldn't be useful)
  • No (again I don't get them, but if I did it'd be my own fault so how could it be annoying)

Please do not get rid of this notification! I rely on it to know when a mod is updated. Not all of us are windows/CKAN users!

On 5/10/2021 at 3:32 PM, HebaruSan said:

OK, might as well start a running tally now that we have a link to this from the site...

Replies: 4
Users who like this notification: 0
Users who dislike this notification: 0

It's neck and neck! Get your votes in now!

Yes

Yes

No

2 minutes ago, Cochise said:

Please do not get rid of this notification! I rely on it to know when a mod is updated.

To be clear, this is the notification that is sent when a mod is NOT updated, but rather just has its compatibility changed. See the original post about it for details.

... and that's all, folks! Final summary of feedback:

Replies: ~19
Users who like this notification: 7.5   (counting ambiguous or conflicted responses as 0.5)
Users who dislike this notification: 3   (counting @flart's original request)

We may make some changes, but just dropping this surprisingly well-beloved notification won't be one of them. The announcement has been removed from the top of SpaceDock, and we now return you to your regularly scheduled idle SpaceDock forum thread.

A big thanks to all who shared points of view!

Edited by HebaruSan