[1.4.1] HexCans Uncanned - v18.02.14

Bit Fiddler

Due to @Greysleaving the mod scene, this mod was relegated to the trash can.  I have decided to take it out, dust it off, and see what can be done with it.  All the original assets have been acquired, and work has started on bringing it all up to date.  This mod now has a dependency on the Configurable Containers mod by @allista.  This will allow you to select any of the resource containers without cluttering the parts list with individual containers for every resource and in every size.  This also has a texture switcher so you can select different textures for your resource tanks.

Rules of Attribution

To make it simple and concrete I require only one thing to consider your released works sufficiently attributing me.

In the .cfg files for all HexCans parts there is the line

author = Greys

"Greys" must remain in that field, you of course can add your own name/names and I do not care about the order.

example:

author = BobDole & Greys

Nothing else is required for the license to be satisfied.

If you can, I would like to have a link to the HexCans forum in your release thread.  it does not need to be prominent, and it is not required.

Distribution

You are free to include as much of the base HexCans set alongside your add-on as you like with three conditions:

1. Do not distribute the original part set without modification.
    If you'd like to make modified variants of the stock parts that is fine, either as part of a greater add-on or a derivative HexCans set, but do not distribute the original parts as is. This is to prevent unnecessary confusion from the users and prevent the circulation of outdated assets.
  2. Try to include only the assets that you need for your add-on
    Limiting the HexCan assets that are distributed alongside your add-on to those that are necessary has three main benefits:
    It reduces your distribution size which means players have to download less
    It eliminates unused assets which KSP will still load, reducing player's memory load if they don't choose to install the main set (marginally)
    It helps to prevent conflicts with the main set if assets have changed between your version and mine.
  3. If you want changes made to a part, or a new part made, please get with me and we can work it out together as I may already be working on this change or have plans to do so.  This way any new parts, or changes to the old ones, will propagate through all the HexCan parts.

If you experience any bugs please let me know ASAP.

Thanks for your time!

SUPPORTED MODS:

Spoiler

USILogo_tran.png

DEPENDENCIES:

Spoiler

2ap6PYF.png

Change Log:

Spoiler

18.02.14 - Initial Re-Release: 

Not much has been done to it other than ensuring all the parts will load in the game and function.  No texturing or modeling has been done, and not much thought has gone into balance.  The mod now has a dependency of Configurable Containers by @allista  This will allow any of the fuel tanks to be used without cluttering the Parts list with every size of every resource tank.  I am just posting this here to let people know that I am working on reviving it, download links and more information will come soon.

As per this post:

Spoiler

This mod has been released with an MIT License

Spoiler

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.

Edited by Bit Fiddler

Thanks for bringing this back!

I've had a half patched / cobbled together folder that I've been working with ever since the previous author decided to part ways with KSP.
These are great parts that are fun to load up with whatever you need for a mission.

I hope to get them all balanced and finish this up soon.  however my GPU is having over heat issues and shutting my computer down every time I launch any sort of 3D rendering application (KSP).  so I am in the process of refurbishing this laptop, or buying a new one.  but one of these two will need to happen before I continuew this project. 

however, to the best of my knowledge, the "resource containers" version of the hex cans are working 100%  and it is only the bits like air intakes and jet engines etc. that still need work.  Therefore, if you are only using the resource containers, it should be just fine.

EDIT:  Laptop is fixed, and i am working now to bring this up to 1.4.x standards.  however since it was relying on Configurable Containers, this is causing a hold up.   I will look into using the other tank switching mods out there, so it can work no matter which of these you prefer to use.  Also i am looking at using the native KSP texture switcher for this now...  however in looking at it, i have decided i want to redo some of the modeling.   This brings me to a point where i am at a loss.  I will need to figure out how to import models from Blender into Unity, and then into KSP.  so this will be a bit of a learning curve.   For now i will just press on with them as is, and try to learn this import process later.

Edited by Bit Fiddler

• 1 month later...

"The dependencies of Configurable Containers and module manager have updated to 1.4.1 so I have updated to match.

still no real work on balancing part performance, but continuing to work on physical aspects like 3D models/textures, particle effects, and attach nodes etc.

I still do not have a lot of time for this, but I am working on it still.  I plan to incorporate support for other tank switchers still, so stay tuned for Modular Fuel tanks, Fire Spitter, B9, etc.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/13/2018 at 8:25 PM, Bit Fiddler said:

Due to @Greysleaving the mod scene, this mod was relegated to the trash can.  I have decided to take it out, dust it off, and see what can be done with it.  All the original assets have been acquired, and work has started on bringing it all up to date.  This mod now has a dependency on the Configurable Containers mod by @allista.  This will allow you to select any of the resource containers without cluttering the parts list with individual containers for every resource and in every size.  This also has a texture switcher so you can select different textures for your resource tanks.

Rules of Attribution

To make it simple and concrete I require only one thing to consider your released works sufficiently attributing me.

In the .cfg files for all HexCans parts there is the line

author = Greys

"Greys" must remain in that field, you of course can add your own name/names and I do not care about the order.

example:

author = BobDole & Greys

Nothing else is required for the license to be satisfied.

If you can, I would like to have a link to the HexCans forum in your release thread.  it does not need to be prominent, and it is not required.

Distribution

You are free to include as much of the base HexCans set alongside your add-on as you like with three conditions:

1. Do not distribute the original part set without modification.
    If you'd like to make modified variants of the stock parts that is fine, either as part of a greater add-on or a derivative HexCans set, but do not distribute the original parts as is. This is to prevent unnecessary confusion from the users and prevent the circulation of outdated assets.
  2. Try to include only the assets that you need for your add-on
    Limiting the HexCan assets that are distributed alongside your add-on to those that are necessary has three main benefits:
    It reduces your distribution size which means players have to download less
    It eliminates unused assets which KSP will still load, reducing player's memory load if they don't choose to install the main set (marginally)
    It helps to prevent conflicts with the main set if assets have changed between your version and mine.
  3. If you want changes made to a part, or a new part made, please get with me and we can work it out together as I may already be working on this change or have plans to do so.  This way any new parts, or changes to the old ones, will propagate through all the HexCan parts.

If you experience any bugs please let me know ASAP.

Thanks for your time!

SUPPORTED MODS:

Reveal hidden contents

USILogo_tran.png

DEPENDENCIES:

Reveal hidden contents

2ap6PYF.png

Change Log:

Reveal hidden contents

18.02.14 - Initial Re-Release: 

Not much has been done to it other than ensuring all the parts will load in the game and function.  No texturing or modeling has been done, and not much thought has gone into balance.  The mod now has a dependency of Configurable Containers by @allista  This will allow any of the fuel tanks to be used without cluttering the Parts list with every size of every resource tank.  I am just posting this here to let people know that I am working on reviving it, download links and more information will come soon.

As per this post:

Reveal hidden contents

This mod has been released with an MIT License

Reveal hidden contents

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.

Would be nice to see some pics

Also, how is the update going?  I was looking at this to update, and then saw you had taken it over

• 2 weeks later...

sorry been out of touch for a while due to life imposing on my game time.  

as for updates....  I was in the process of balancing all the values when last I worked on it, but I had some changes I was looking at making to the models and textures...  these are not critical however, so they are on indefinite hold.   I had made a change that made this mod dependent on Configurable Containers from @allista however I am not so sure I want to continue down this road.  if I do this I would then basically be forcing myself to then make a version that uses Modular fuel tanks, B9, Fire Spitter, etc.  as no matter which one of these I support there will be many users who use the others.  it is not impossible to support all of them, it is just a huge increase in the time involved...  lol but then I am preach8ing to the choir on this topic.

Short answer is I have not given up on it, it is just behind the curve due to deaths in the family, etc. that have pulled me away from KSP.  I will get back into it and see where it takes me over the next few weeks.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.