Fuel transfer (console)

Update: Tried and failed to find a way to transfer fuel between tanks. The ones I have docked to my space station around Kerbin are pretty useless now. I'd have to make a new ship designed around attaching them to a place where the CoM wouldn't be thrown off too badly. Maybe separate the engine from the rest of the ship and insert it between them.

Hi @kevnuke, I split your issue from the suggestions thread into a thread of its own in Gameplay Questions. Hope that's OK, and I hope we can find a solution to your issue. 

Are you playing in sandbox or career mode? I ask because fuel transfer requires one of the buildings to be upgraded. 

To transfer fuel, you need to have at least a Tier 2 R&D facility. Beyond that, you must open the part action menus of the specific fuel tanks -- and only the tanks. If there are any other part action menus open besides tanks, they will prevent the fuel transfer buttons from appearing.

Some part will only allow fuel flow if crossfeed is enabled.

But for crossfeed to be enabled the tech Fuel System (cost 90science points, requires advanced Rocketry or General Construction) is required.

RANT(you may ignore): 10 mouths later and I'm still annoyed that make ones of my craft, built with parts from tech level4 or lower, not function properly unless this tech level 5 node researched.

8 hours ago, Deddly said:

Hi @kevnuke, I split your issue from the suggestions thread into a thread of its own in Gameplay Questions. Hope that's OK, and I hope we can find a solution to your issue.

Yeah that's fine. I actually wasn't paying attention which forum I posted it when I made it lol. I considered updating the post on the other thread where I first mentioned it.

8 hours ago, Deddly said:

Are you playing in sandbox or career mode? I ask because fuel transfer requires one of the buildings to be upgraded.

5 hours ago, bewing said:

To transfer fuel, you need to have at least a Tier 2 R&D facility.

Yup I'm in Career mode. R&D was Lv 2 when I first tried it and now it's Lv 3

1 hour ago, Spricigo said:

Some part will only allow fuel flow if crossfeed is enabled.

But for crossfeed to be enabled the tech Fuel System (cost 90science points, requires advanced Rocketry or General Construction) is required.

Check and check

7 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Also, some parts may not allow fuel flow.

The only thing I can think of that might be obstructing fuel flow is the probe core between the two tanks. I might flip the tank around to the other side where there's nothing but a docking port.

5 hours ago, bewing said:

Beyond that, you must open the part action menus of the specific fuel tanks -- and only the tanks. If there are any other part action menus open besides tanks, they will prevent the fuel transfer buttons from appearing.

I think this is actually the real issue. There's no way that I've found to make more than one PAM (part action menu) appear on screen at the same time. As soon as I hit square on the second tank with the first tank's PAM on screen, the second tank's PAM appears and the first goes away. Also, as I mentioned in another thread, on PC there's an Alt+Right Click they can perform to tell the game that a fuel tranfer is about to happen. On console there is only one type of click, square.

I just figured it out as I was typing this. I noticed on every PAM there's a pin icon at the top-right of the window. That's how we have to keep the first window from disappearing when selecting the other tank(s).

Thanks for everyone's help though!

3 minutes ago, kevnuke said:

I just figured it out as I was typing this. I noticed on every PAM there's a pin icon at the top-right of the window. That's how we have to keep the first window from disappearing when selecting the other tank(s).

Thanks for everyone's help though!

Not exactly clear...butt i take that as "issue solved".

If that is the case you can click in the gray ckeckmark in your post to make it as the 'correct answer' to turn it to green and signalise that you figured it out.

...or you may try to feed us with more info. images usually are of great help.

3 minutes ago, Spricigo said:

...or you may try to feed us with more info. images usually are of great help.

I don't have any way to upload an image but on console each window has a pin icon on the top-right where the X is in Windows, that we can use to keep the PAM from disappearing when we open another PAM. When two fuel tank PAMs are open at the same time, the In and Out transfer buttons appear on both PAMs.

1 hour ago, kevnuke said:

I don't have any way to upload an image but on console each window has a pin icon on the top-right where the X is in Windows, that we can use to keep the PAM from disappearing when we open another PAM. When two fuel tank PAMs are open at the same time, the In and Out transfer buttons appear on both PAMs.

I'm pretty sure the XBO has a screen capture and you can find those screens with a web browser. I did it on my 360 back when the Internet was just a series of tubes. I'd assume the PS4 has the same as well.

And in a pinch, you could take a picture of your TV with a cell phone :D

5 minutes ago, Clipperride said:

A shortcut to having to pin each menu open when playing the Enhanced Edition.

Open the first fuel tanks window (square on PS4 - Radial Control preset) then hold down the upper right bumper and open the second tanks window.  Save a bit of navigating back and forth across the screen.

I tried various combinations of buttons with square on the first and second tank. I probably just missed this one. Thanks for the suggestion.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.