[WIP] Infernal Robotics - Next

Rudolf Meier

For those who are looking for it, here is an unofficial rebuild of KJR, incorporating the public source provided by @Rudolf Meier to Ferram in A PR on githug:

https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/Kerbal-Joint-Reinforcement/releases/tag/3.3.3.4

License is GPL, source is available in the github repo

Hello, I'm trying to recreate the V8Jester's awesome VTOL craft using IR next, LGG's KJR, and tweakscale. Using the basic rotatatrons from the rework parts and lots of vanilla struts to attach engine nacelles to the side of the craft. Unfortunately the  nacelles still wobble enough to make the craft near unflyable. I've tried scaling the rotatatron up, but if I scale it to anything but default size, it "locks up" and won't move more than a few degrees. Any suggestions on how to either strengthen the joint so things don't wobble, or how to scale up the rotatatron without it locking? (Tried using original rotatatron mk1 without success, and the original mk2 doesn't seem to be selectable once you place it in the VAB/SPH).

V8Jester's original VTOL craft

On 9/7/2018 at 7:04 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

For those who are looking for it, here is an unofficial rebuild of KJR, incorporating the public source provided by @Rudolf Meier to Ferram in A PR on githug:

https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/Kerbal-Joint-Reinforcement/releases/tag/3.3.3.4

License is GPL, source is available in the github repo

what version is it for?

The game doesn't report it as incompatible but it doesn't work either, no KJR buttons, and the noodle rockets confirms it?

Ahhh well, back to autostruts, on crafts that Auto struts can be used on anyway...

41 minutes ago, BlinAndVodka238 said:

what version is it for?

The game doesn't report it as incompatible but it doesn't work either, no KJR buttons, and the noodle rockets confirms it?

Ahhh well, back to autostruts, on crafts that Auto struts can be used on anyway...

1.4.5.  Kjr doesnt have a button, and if you are still noodling, something is wrong

On 9/1/2018 at 12:02 PM, Nuke said:

screenshot0_zpsk7zwzcaz.jpg

i made a helicopter which works like a real one. you got a swashplate and collective control. monoprop engines to spin up the blades. a big rcs thruster where the tail rotor would normally go. doxking washers support both the main rotor and swashplate (to transfer cyclic control to the blades), the linkages use an additional 2 washers each (x6) and required the use of docking ports to connect them. i kind of wish you could use struts as linkages but that only taunts the kraken. unfortunately its not working very well and some optimization needs to be done, but i was hoping to inspire others. i kind of wish i could map a joystick to the servo set points so that its somewhat easier to control. 

My last project in beta phase. :) You said somethin about joystick. Its posible to do and steer IR parts with it? 

Edited by IMrChrisI

unfortunately no. if i could map swash xy to joystick xy then i would have something really cool. i want a heli that can fly without needing to use rcs thrusters for stability and controls like a real heli. you can kind of make do with the keyboard but its very difficult to do any kind of precision flying.

maybe i could modify the source to do this, since control systems is one of my hobbies. but im going to be building a new rig next month and setting up a compiler now would be kind of a waste of time. also working on helis kind of fell to a low priority slot on my todo list.

Edited by Nuke

On 9/15/2018 at 3:42 PM, rfelipe200 said:

I'm having trouble with this mod... I can't install the sequencer, it doesn't show in my game, what did I do wrong? D: I'm running 1.4.5 and I also can't use kOS with it

I'd like to point out as well that I'm getting constant Kraken attacks when trying to dock any part with IR to any vessel or when it hits anything or when timewarping. Either the parts get mangled at best or the planets and sun disappear outright alongside anything in space. So, if you can work these bugs out before 1.5 or for 1.5 I'd be imensely thankful.

3rzQ8dJ.jpg

/\ Here's what exactly I'm trying to send, if it's of any help.

Hi, I've been having trouble installing the Sequencer addon. Infernal Robotics itself works fine but I can't see the Sequencer tab. Also how do I install the IR mod and the Sequencer when they are both called MagicSmokeIndustries?

A list of installed mods from KSP.log : 

Stock assembly: Assembly-CSharp v0.0.0.0
ModuleManager v3.0.7.0
CCK v2.0.2.0 / v2.0.2.0 for KSP 1.3
EasyVesselSwitch v1.8.6767.274 / v1.8-pre for KSP v1.4+
KSPDev_Utils.0.37 v0.37.6763.34473 / v0.37 for KSP v1.4+
MiniAVC v1.0.3.2
KAS v0.6.4.0 / v0.6.4 for KSP 1.4+
MiniAVC v1.0.3.1
KIS v1.14.6773.33741 / v1.14 for KSP 1.4+
KSPDev_Utils.0.37 v0.37.6763.34473 / v0.37 for KSP v1.4+
MiniAVC v1.0.3.0
IRSequencer_v3 v1.0.0.0 / v1.0.0
InfernalRobotics_v3 v3.0.0.0
Scale_Redist v1.0.0.0
MechJeb2 v2.5.1.0 / v / v2.7.4.0
PlanetarySurfaceStructures v1.6.5.0
ksp_plugin_adapter v1.0.0.0
Stock assembly: KSPSteamCtrlr v0.0.1.35

I am running KSP 1.4.5.2243 on Linux in 64 bit.

• 3 weeks later...

@Rudolf Meier

Tweakscaling a powered hinge causes it to loose it's rotation capabilities. As far as I can tell tweakscale is configured for this part, so I'm a bit lost here. The reason I wanted to make it bigger is avoid wobbly part connections. You don't have an issue list on github, hence I'm informing you here. I'd appreciate a reply if and when you've done something I should check out.

Edited by Someone2018

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2018 at 7:22 PM, jestermaximus said:

Hello, I'm trying to recreate the V8Jester's awesome VTOL craft using IR next, LGG's KJR, and tweakscale. Using the basic rotatatrons from the rework parts and lots of vanilla struts to attach engine nacelles to the side of the craft. Unfortunately the  nacelles still wobble enough to make the craft near unflyable. I've tried scaling the rotatatron up, but if I scale it to anything but default size, it "locks up" and won't move more than a few degrees. Any suggestions on how to either strengthen the joint so things don't wobble, or how to scale up the rotatatron without it locking? (Tried using original rotatatron mk1 without success, and the original mk2 doesn't seem to be selectable once you place it in the VAB/SPH).

V8Jester's original VTOL craft

I have been trying to build a VTOL craft. since OPT is bugged for newer versions i didn't use it. i used other mods. and rotations of this mod is bugged, dockrotate had better control bug i ended up having to scale down the entire craft because it's components weren't that strong.

BUT, those rails, ... use rails to adjust the engines taking them a little front or back.

you can adjust them to prevent unwanted rotation. you can adjust them to intentionally get rotation for re entry. the rails, can create a carge vertical ramp if stacked, without having to use tail. it's just awersome.

https://imgur.com/a/m86gU2c

i want to contribute to this mod to solve the control bugs, but i don't have the time to learn all about modding. can anyone point me in a direction?

for example were is the part of the source code where the rotate-move commands are managed?(doesn't matter, i found out it's c# :/ pretty easy to handle)

Edited by thenegativehunter
found it myself

19 hours ago, thenegativehunter said:

I have been trying to build a VTOL craft. since OPT is bugged for newer versions i didn't use it. i used other mods. and rotations of this mod is bugged, dockrotate had better control bug i ended up having to scale down the entire craft because it's components weren't that strong.

BUT, those rails, ... use rails to adjust the engines taking them a little front or back.

you can adjust them to prevent unwanted rotation. you can adjust them to intentionally get rotation for re entry. the rails, can create a carge vertical ramp if stacked, without having to use tail. it's just awersome.

https://imgur.com/a/m86gU2c

i want to contribute to this mod to solve the control bugs, but i don't have the time to learn all about modding. can anyone point me in a direction?

for example were is the part of the source code where the rotate-move commands are managed?(doesn't matter, i found out it's c# :/ pretty easy to handle)

Me too, i just want to play with this mod but without be anoying for the developer. So, i have some purpose here to fix the bug. And help recompile this mod into the 1.5.1, but i want to know how?

Edited by BlackWing Pilot

22 minutes ago, BlackWing Pilot said:

Me too, i just want to play with this mod but without be anoying for the developer. So, i have some purpose here to fix the bug. And help recompile this mod into the 1.5.1, but i want to know how?

source codes are available for download.

but there is no way around it but to learn to compile a mod. c# library linkings are much simpler, and if you know c# ( i think any managed language will do ) you will be able to write a mod. but to understand other mods which are usually written in c#, you need to know c#. i think if you know as much as properties, you will be good to go

I do miss this mod. It always helped me in so many various ways i lost count. Even though it -technically- works in 1.5, the parts break and move about after launch and i just feel sad about all the great times i had making extending arms and rotating radar dishes heh.

The work the various modders did on this down the years was so great. Props to them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.