[WIP] Infernal Robotics - Next

Rudolf Meier

2 hours ago, Rudolf Meier said:

Beta 4, Patch 2b is online

servos do now also handle the "stuck" situation...

:) great... this new mode has some problems... you cannot move the servos to their endpositions in some situations

ok, I've re-uploaded the patch 2b with the fix... now it works

Edited by Rudolf Meier

On 5/6/2019 at 11:01 AM, Rudolf Meier said:

:) ... yeah, ok... detaching it with KAS/KIS and reattach it... that's something I didn't plan for, but it's not hard to add this capability... let's say it is about... 5 to 8 lines of code... maybe one 'if' and some value resets or something like that

I guess you can always find a way to destroy it... but, it's a good point and I'm sure I will fix this in a future version

Hahah!  Indeed.  I wouldn't worry too much.  If I'm reattaching IR parts in flight, I'm pretty much expecting explosions ;)

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 9:12 PM, mbaryu said:

Hahah!  Indeed.  I wouldn't worry too much.  If I'm reattaching IR parts in flight, I'm pretty much expecting explosions ;)

would still be interesting to see if it works... at least it should, when they are in their 0-position

Hello there ! First, thanks for this mod, I was feeling a bit stuck in the game without any hinge..

But I have an issue : Maybe it will be solved in space, but for now I cannot use the robotics at the launchpad... Was going to test and being used to them,  it was working correctly in the rocket construction building, but as soon as I put my structure outside, I can barely move them in a few degrees/millimeters before they stop and begin to go slooowly backwards.. Any idea of something i'm doing wrong or how to make them fonctional ?

Thanks again for the mod and in advance for the answers ! :3

Here's some pics :

https://ibb.co/GVCq5nv
https://ibb.co/GQmxqLt

12 minutes ago, TarTi said:

Hello there ! First, thanks for this mod, I was feeling a bit stuck in the game without any hinge..

But I have an issue : Maybe it will be solved in space, but for now I cannot use the robotics at the launchpad... Was going to test and being used to them,  it was working correctly in the rocket construction building, but as soon as I put my structure outside, I can barely move them in a few degrees/millimeters before they stop and begin to go slooowly backwards.. Any idea of something i'm doing wrong or how to make them fonctional ?

I guess that's the KJR problem... -> there was a wrong file in the zip file (if you used KJR Next 4.0.1 or 4.0.2) ... if you delete the folder and reinstall from the latest 4.0.2 download again, then it should work (make sure you only have the "KerbalJointReinforcementNext.dll" in the "Plugins" folder and no other "KerbalJointReinforcement.dll") ... and, in case you use another version of KJR (original or continued) ... then uninstall those and use the "Next" since those don't work at all with Infernal Robotics.

Oh my, it was just this.. Sorry to waste your time, hope at least it will help some other newbies..

BTW I will continue my tests but it seems that the grab-machine don't work when scaled, like decouplers.. :/

Thank you so much for everything anyway ! Here's the victory screen :3

https://ibb.co/JnbVHML

No problem... and well, it was a distribution- or setup-bug... so, not your fault

8 minutes ago, TarTi said:

BTW I will continue my tests but it seems that the grab-machine don't work when scaled, like decouplers.. :/

those should work when scaled... but I've heart that TweakScale does have some problems... no idea what's going on there

8 hours ago, Rudolf Meier said:

those should work when scaled... but I've heart that TweakScale does have some problems... no idea what's going on there

TL;DR: TweakScale doesn't properly protect itself from rogue patches. Some patch plays havoc, TweakScale happily complies injecting trash into the prefab and badly mangling (sometimes, in a very nasty way) the savegames.

The best way to help people to write patches that doesn't stomp on TweakScale's feet is the Module Manager :FOR thingy - but this changes the current order in which patches are applied - most of the time, for good.

But there's a least one situation in which old mods could bork, and again we have a nasty one. One of them is already detected (it happened to me), currently I'm asking for brave kerbonauts to further testing the beta version in order to detect more situations and so I can prevent them on the code on the final release.

@TarTi, please send me your KSP.log and Module Manager caches after reproducing the behaviour - if possible, on this issue. This will help us both - if there's anything weird on the patches, I will detect and we will fix. If there's nothing, but I detect any problem, I will tell you and we can fix it. :)

Edited by Lisias
Dude, I need some grammars lessons...

55 minutes ago, Lisias said:

@TarTi, please send me your KSP.log and Module Manager caches after reproducing the behaviour - if possible, on this issue. This will help us both - if there's anything weird on the patches, I will detect and we will fix. If there's nothing, but I detect any problem, I will tell you and we can fix it. :)

Errr sure, just tell me how to do this (sorry, all the KSP functionment looks weird for me about mods & patches compared to all other games ^w^') and I'll help as many people as I can do :) 

EDIT 1------------------------

BTW, i just had a violent bug with speeding time, each time I'm going forward in time, in map mode or manually in vessel view, one of my grabbed ships move to the side, grabbed by WIFI from a reversed grabby-thing, and then when I put time back to normal, it will have a fat impulsion (like with a 10 m/s small vessels coupling) and finally go back to normal or just violently collide and... well, Kraken-die I guess :P 

After that, I've been stuck into this position and I begin to be scared about my saved games.. ^_^'

https://ibb.co/4Rnc0hw

EDIT 2 (sry admins)------------------------

I succeed to load my save with only one ship grabbed (the most important one at least, there is Jebediah on a Mun impact trajectory with no fuel in there!), I just ungrabbed to make a move, then grabbed again at 0.1 m/s and BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Kraken again :/ 

"cannot load cause there is no "KJRAutoStrutHelper""

https://ibb.co/cFNjX1D

Maybe it's just with the grabby machine, but it's so close to be perfect x3

Edited by TarTi
fresh news

5 hours ago, TarTi said:

BTW, i just had a violent bug with speeding time

"cannot load cause there is no "KJRAutoStrutHelper""

to me this sounds like the errors I have fixed... what versions of IR and KJR do you use? ... the first must be fixed in the latest Beta 4 and the KJR problem should also be fixed in 4.0.2...

Well, I downloaded it on saturday or sunday and updated it today, just before you solved my first issue, so I'm from 4.0 to 4.0 glitched/mixed with 4.0.2 (my first issue) and finally 4.0.2 as adviced, and I'm on 1.7 for KSP

15 minutes ago, TarTi said:

Well, I downloaded it on saturday or sunday and updated it today, just before you solved my first issue, so I'm from 4.0 to 4.0 glitched/mixed with 4.0.2 (my first issue) and finally 4.0.2 as adviced, and I'm on 1.7 for KSP

there were a lot of updates in the last days... I don't remember which was when and contains which bugfix... sorry... all I know is that I kind of know those bugs and think they are solved in the latest versions of those two mods

Looks like I have the oldest versions, 

I installed as adviced the gamedata folders from this main page

So I have IR v3.0.0 + patch 2b and KJR v4.0.3 released one hour ago.

And I still have this kinf of weird bugs (after loading my game, had to press escape to see something else than HUD and black screen, but anyway) :

https://ibb.co/r2T283L

2 minutes ago, TarTi said:

And I still have this kinf of weird bugs (after loading my game, had to press escape to see something else than HUD and black screen, but anyway) :

directly after load it explodes? ... that's why all the errors in the scene have been saved... you won't be able to get out of this except to start a new mission with a new ship or load a scene that is not damaged already

Nah it's fine don't worry for this, I've load this save to test the new release, but as you can see on the screen, it's not exploding right now. Just doing weird things. But yes, it can explode also just after loading. Or, as with the first load of the same save, everything can be fine, so it's a bit confusing.. ^_^'

I'll make a test vehicle to test the release from a safe save and I come back :P 

(BTW I finally decided to use only one grabby and save one ship instead of two, and then I was able to save, load, move etc.. everything fine with only one ship grabbed. But it was so ready to explode each time I grabbed it at 0.1 m/s..)

EDIT

I've made the test vehicle, was so close to explode and reproduce the same issue each time :

(I've also seen in old IR (not NEXT) thread that it was HIGHLY UNRECOMMANDED to attach docks directly or indirectly to the robot parts.. Maybe still true and also for grabby hook ? Hope it's not real anymore, I've downloaded this mod especially to dock and grab things between them, well like IRL finally ^_^')

Anyway, here's the screen :

kspirbug7.png

Edited by TarTi

1 hour ago, TarTi said:

I'll make a test vehicle to test the release from a safe save and I come back :P 

ok, thank you... can you tell me which part is missbehaving? the claw? is that where all the wrong positioning starts? and only when loading/timewarping, right??

I think I understand the problem...

Edited by Rudolf Meier

Yup, claw (thanks for the word xD), loading and timewarping, that's the beginning. You have a lot of other issues (but it's actually the "wrong positionning" you're talking about I guess) but it looks linked to the claw.

2 minutes ago, TarTi said:

Yup, claw (thanks for the word xD), loading and timewarping, that's the beginning. You have a lot of other issues (but it's actually the "wrong positionning" you're talking about I guess) but it looks linked to the claw.

ok, will be fixed in the next version...

2 minutes ago, Rudolf Meier said:

ok, will be fixed in the next version...

You rules ! and so, is it still unrecommanded to use a dock as a magnetized arm to manipulage things ?

Do not attach docking ports directly (or indirectly) to IR parts. It will make your life miserable. You have been warned!

I would add something like a Canadarm to my Orbital Station, is it doable ? (I know it's from another mod finally but i'm affraid of exploding all my ships one by one now ;) 

28 minutes ago, TarTi said:

You rules ! and so, is it still unrecommanded to use a dock as a magnetized arm to manipulage things ?

I would add something like a Canadarm to my Orbital Station, is it doable ? (I know it's from another mod finally but i'm affraid of exploding all my ships one by one now ;) 

no, that's no problem anymore... it works, but what does not work is docking twice to a ship... so, e.g. if you dock to a part you want to move... let's say your arm grapples with its endeffector the GF (which may be implemented as docking port) of a MPLM, then moves it so that it can be attached to a station using its CBM port (which is also implemented as docking port) and then you try to undock from the GF... then it will also undock the CBM and your part is lost

so, currently the only way to solve that is using magnetic grapplers or the other one from old IR (will be in the new release too, but currently we don't have that) that uses the harpoon module of KAS

... the next option would be that you use "DockingPort Next" ... unfortunatelly I have not yet released it (not even a beta) ... but, the problems are solved and I expect to have something ready in a short time

Edited by Rudolf Meier

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.