[WIP] Infernal Robotics - Next

Rudolf Meier

On 9/7/2019 at 8:18 AM, Rudolf Meier said:

I think, there is no problem and KJR Next works better with RO than the Continued. I think, the reason for why RO writes on their site that it's not working was an old version of KJR Next that was out for only about a week (months ago) and is no longer available (I even deleted it from the servers). It had a compatibility problem with some mods of RO. But after the next update of KSP (I think it was 1.7.1 or 1.7.2) there was a new interface and the problem with robotic parts of the DLC could have been solved differently and much easier. Since then we don't have those problems anymore... but, I fixed this without feedback of the RO team or users.

Right... I tried to talk to them, but never got an answer. All I did hear from a moderator (Snark) is, that they owe me nothing and that they don't have to talk to me if they don't want. And I should stop asking them via their thread.

Ok, well this is good to know! I'm on KSP 1.6.1, I'll download and use KJRN and will do my best to provide logs, feedback and whatever to help fix this (if anything needs fixing... ). 

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rudolf

Thanks for picking up IR Next again. Good to see you working on it again cause its one of my favourites :D New parts are great as well.

I've been going through updating my game from 145 to 173. Looking for errors and stuff and trying to find out what causing them. A little bit poophole about that :confused:

Anyway I found out that when going on EVA IR seems to be generating partset errors. Well I'm not sure if they are errors specifically but they do appear in the console.

[PartSet]: Failed to add Resource -792463147 to Simulation PartSet:15 as corresponding Part -1310957041 SimulationResource was not found.
[PartSet]: Failed to add Resource -792463147 to Simulation PartSet:15 as corresponding Part -1310957041 SimulationResource was not found.

I don't think it actually causes any problems with the game it self just thought I'd let any mod makers know about it.

Also not sure if I'm being a pain in the cheeks by posting about it in relevant threads. If I am let me know and I'll stop.

Edit: Forgot the log in case its useful. Log

If you search for partset its the only one there.

Edited by Ocid

Have you tried without IR and doing same EVA steps ? I don't think that shown issue is related with IR, it look like it is more likely "conflict" with community resource configs and probably some life support mod (USI/MKS, TAC or SNACK). Just my educated guess from personal experience in the past that those could throw such things in log and usualy are harmless.

AFAIK, IR next does not mess with resources, only electricity consumed when motorized IR parts are moved around. IR should not add or remove resources (resource types) to any ship/vessel in game.

6 hours ago, kcs123 said:

Have you tried without IR and doing same EVA steps ? I don't think that shown issue is related with IR, it look like it is more likely "conflict" with community resource configs and probably some life support mod (USI/MKS, TAC or SNACK). Just my educated guess from personal experience in the past that those could throw such things in log and usualy are harmless.

AFAIK, IR next does not mess with resources, only electricity consumed when motorized IR parts are moved around. IR should not add or remove resources (resource types) to any ship/vessel in game.

Yeah the errors seem to be harmless. Getting a lot of them from cryo tanks as well. The cause of that was present in 145 install as well but only started showing the partset messages in 173. Although the cryo tanks only shows in VAB/SPH

I'm sure it's IRnext that's causing the EVA part set messages. I am installing mods one by one to see what was causing some of the errors I was seeing when I just threw it all together in one go and they only appeared after I added IRnext.

I'll test it again in the morning after work. I'm sure they don't cause any problems but I just thought I'd let rudolf know. :D

@kcs123 You were right its not IRnext that was the cause of the part set messages.

Had an hour to check it out today. Tried a clean install no messages on EVA. Fired up the install that was showing them before, same deal. Removed IR, no messages. Added IR back in and messages were gone. Reloaded to check again and they were still gone. So I have no idea really what was causing them but they seem to be gone now which is good :D

Assumed it was IR since that was the only mod i added in at that time when they first showed up. Should have probably double checked at the time. Lesson learned.

Sorry to have bothered you @Rudolf Meier . Keep up the awesome work.

With a bunch of mods installed and with lot of them messing with same thing in game it is not always easy to pinpoint exact source of issue. I think that only 2-3 types of mods might cause such issues. As already mentioned, some kind of life support mod (I'm most suspisious on those), but it could also be some mod for colonization, that use some resorce other than stock game. Also some part mod that depend on firespitter plugin or B9 part switch that deals with resources could cause this.

Whenever you go on EVA, behind the scene, game engine actually create new object in game that shares some object properties as any other craft in game. Similar thing happens when you undock two parts of same craft, game create new ship object using some info what kind of parts and resources new ship should have (fuel, oxygen, electricity, etc.). For that fresh created ship object some mod that you have installed attempts to add some resources. But in case of EVA, it could not add any becasue Kerbal on EVA can't carry such resource.

Most probably such mod have handled resource creation properly, but created warning message in log that something was not happened fully as expected. Good to know that it does not have anything with IR, but I'm not using each mod that is created for KSP to be able to pinpoint which one cause this. Only some speculation based on personal experience from this game.

I only had maybe 10-15 mods installed at that point. Was just going through trying to find what was causing a few other issues. Didn't have USI installed then either. 

Did have B9 partswitch and CRP in at that point though. 

Yeah wouldnt expect you to go through mods either to find the cause. After seeing that I was getting the same messages in the VAB for stuff that was there in 145 install but were only showing in 173 I figured they were harmless. Just extra log spam. Wouldn't have got rid of IR anyway too good to do that just thought it was the Eva cause of it and thought should let him rudolf know but I jumped the gun and should have done a little more testing. 

• 3 weeks later...

I guess doing a test launch and reverting back to editing, messes up all positioning, removes mirroring, creates individual parts and this is a known issue right?

Also, I guess the sequencer doesn't work either right?

Please do let me know if things work and I'm messing up something on my end...

Edited by Problemless Mods Wanter
edit about sequencer part

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, just a heads up (although I'm sure you're already aware), 1.8 Moar Boosters seems to be interfering with Infernal Robotics - most functionality is OK, but the force, acceleration and speed tweakables are.... well, missing. The text is there, but instead of a bar there's just a white block, all crammed to the left hand side of the box.

BljGi7d.jpg   nZiqgu9.jpg

4 hours ago, ZuluThreeZero said:

Hi all, just a heads up (although I'm sure you're already aware), 1.8 Moar Boosters seems to be interfering with Infernal Robotics - most functionality is OK, but the force, acceleration and speed tweakables are.... well, missing. The text is there, but instead of a bar there's just a white block, all crammed to the left hand side of the box.

BljGi7d.jpg   nZiqgu9.jpg

Well, it is kind of expected to be broken in KSP 1.8. Upgrade to new version of Unity game engines also require all of plugin(dll) mods to be recompiled with new libraries, at least. Some of mods might require additional changes in source code too, depending of changes in API code of stock game. Have to be patient for some time until mod developers get time to update their mods.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, I glanced back through but didn't see anyone mention it. Anyone else noticing frame rate drop (basically crawling) when using hot keys to move parts with a button press?

Fair warning - Extremely mod heavy install. And I've only been bashing around 1.7.3 the last couple of days.

11 hours ago, V8jester said:

Hey guys, I glanced back through but didn't see anyone mention it. Anyone else noticing frame rate drop (basically crawling) when using hot keys to move parts with a button press?

Fair warning - Extremely mod heavy install. And I've only been bashing around 1.7.3 the last couple of days.

I can only tell from my last "stable" KSP 1.7.2. install that I didn't noticed any significant slowdown while having button pressed or not. Although, I have noticed stutters every 30 sec. or so when using certain KF parts. Probably garbage collectors doing it's job at those intervals. Those things are more likely for stock KSP to blame and it supposed to be improved with KSP 1.8.x. However, it will be some times until my "essential" mods are updated for KSP 1.8.x.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/11/2019 at 11:17 PM, V8jester said:

This is a problem I have been experiencing for a while, however I'm moving them via code. I was just trying to get my plugin working again in 1.81 but if this problem still exists there's no point.

Speaking of getting my plugin working in 1.81 with 3.0.2, Im here to ask about what I'm always here to ask about. Still using the IR Wrapper from sequencer. Now the initialization fails with ""[IR Wrapper] Failed to grab ControlGroup Type". When I change "InfernalRobotics_v3.Command.ControlGroup" to "InfernalRobotics_v3.Interfaces.IServoGroup", initialization works, but I get the error "IRWrapper,Error extracting from actualServos: Object reference not set to an instance of an object". Thanks

Edit : ok i see Command.ControlGroup was changed to Command.ServoGroup.  Still getting "IRWrapper,Error extracting from actualServos: Object reference not set to an instance of an object" though.

Edited by VR_Dev

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

hello, I am looking for a way by modifying the cfg generated by pieces which remain well fixed and which does not bend, gave you advises, kjr does not solve the problem

On 1/20/2020 at 11:58 PM, AnFa said:

The parts are not moving in live play. They move just fine when I'm in the VAB, but as soon as I step out of it, I can't move them anymore

you need to set up the actions and launch the ship

1 hour ago, Maxi-Mio said:

hello, I am looking for a way by modifying the cfg generated by pieces which remain well fixed and which does not bend, gave you advises, kjr does not solve the problem

Not sure if I have understand question, I guess that you want to increase stiffness of joints ? it is possible to write custom MM patch that will increase joint strenght:

However, it helps to some degree, but not completely solve issue. Main reason is KSP/Unity piece of code that was changed in latest Unity game engine version. So, in general, all joints are weaker than it was with old KSP 1.1.x and old IR mod. I doubt that something in IR code can improve joint strength much further without breaking whole game.

So, you might need to invent diferent contraptions to make craft working better. Like using more than one IR part to move one craft piece or similar.

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, LittleBitMore said:

The parts are not appearing in my 1.4.5 GPP save-- is this a known issue? Is it incompatible with 1.4.5?

For KSP 1.4.x you probably want older version of IR: https://github.com/meirumeiru/InfernalRobotics/releases/tag/v3.0.0

Later IR versions use some of features included with KSP 1.7.x that could not work on KSP 1.4.x

• 1 month later...

I hope someone can help me with this issue: I am trying to get Jeast's Canadarm to work with IR Next on KSP 1.4.2, using v3.0.0. The mod has the Canadarm consisting of six individual parts and I basically had to redo the robotics parameters.

Canadarm.png

But, for some reason, for the shoulder (which rotates the entire arm) and for the wrist (the first of two wrist parts, this one controls wrist pitch) the attached parts aren't moving with them. I tried changing the pointers, even to the same axis as the rotation when nothing else worked, and I tried messing around with changing the fixed and moving meshes. For the shoulder, I managed to get the arm to rotate, if the base is the fixed mesh and there is no moving mesh. However, this means that there is a bit of clipping because the "shoulder" mesh that the arm attaches to doesn't rotate with it. This wouldn't be a big issue, but the wrist is a bigger issue. Even if I can achieve the same thing there, it's kind of important that the wrist itself moves to.

I have uploaded my progress so far here.

I also want to add that when grabbing either the shoulder part or the wrist part in the VAB, the attached parts also don't follow it. I don't know if that's relevant, but it made me think there could be a more general issue with the attachment, not just the robotics. But I wouldn't know how to fix it if that's the case.

I know it's a lot to ask some nice person who reads this to have a look at this, but I don't know much about modding or programming in general, and I honestly have no idea what I could try next.

Let me know if I should upload some screenshots to showcase the issue.

• 3 weeks later...

Having the same issue as above (works fine in the hanger), doesnt move at all in game use. I do notice that the Foldatron parts are the only ones that respond when using the Servo Controls. Any ideas? Thanks, WMC

• 4 weeks later...

Hey!

I love this mod so much! But unfortunately at some point the "IR Rotatron MK2" got out of the part list.

This is the most used part for me because it can handel quite heavy parts.

Is there a possibility to add this part again?

Thx for your great work

I'm having a rather odd issue...

Today I decided to update all of my mods to the KSP 1.9.1 versions and update KSP to 1.9.1, but since the original Infernal Robotics is only available up to KSP 1.7, I switched to the forked beta version from meirumeiru on Github.  But when I attempt to load my save file I am asked if I'm sure I want to load the save, because several active vessels are missing certain parts.

Some of these were from NearFutureSolar, and I found this issue on the Github page for that particular mod, and I solved the problem using the advice found there.  However, one of these missing parts is called dockingwasher.stdScaleable, which is from the original (non-forked) Infernal Robotics... and I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Can anybody point me in the right direction here?  I just want to load my save file in the latest version of KSP, but now I'm having to hunt down multiple missing parts from multiple mods.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.