[WIP] Infernal Robotics - Next

Rudolf Meier

10 hours ago, psychonaut25 said:

I'm having a rather odd issue...

Today I decided to update all of my mods to the KSP 1.9.1 versions and update KSP to 1.9.1, but since the original Infernal Robotics is only available up to KSP 1.7, I switched to the forked beta version from meirumeiru on Github.  But when I attempt to load my save file I am asked if I'm sure I want to load the save, because several active vessels are missing certain parts.

Some of these were from NearFutureSolar, and I found this issue on the Github page for that particular mod, and I solved the problem using the advice found there.  However, one of these missing parts is called dockingwasher.stdScaleable, which is from the original (non-forked) Infernal Robotics... and I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Can anybody point me in the right direction here?  I just want to load my save file in the latest version of KSP, but now I'm having to hunt down multiple missing parts from multiple mods.

Even latest forked beta might not work properly on KSP 1.9.x. There is reports that it work for some people on KSP 1.8.x, but I can't confirm that from first hand. Latest published IR-Next pre-relese works fine with KSP 1.7.x. Latest working release version is marked properly for 1.7.1 on CKAN.

dockingwasher part is from legacy deprecated part packs. IIRC, it was black disk with red markings on it to visualy detect angle of rotation. Those parts you may find only for original or "old" IR. I don't recall if there is config files for IR-Next for those parts. There is a lot of changes inside part config files, so even if you download legacy part pack, you will need to re-write configs for those. 3D visuals might still work, but there is need for update on 3D meshes due to Unity game engine version change along with KSP updates. That was main obstacle for legacy parts. Author of those parts is no longer active and noone have original unity files to be able to re-pack them properly in new Unity game engine.

Now, since your crafts have those parts on them, even if you manage to find legacy part pack and find or create proper config files for it, you will need to edit savegame files and craft files too, outside of KSP with some text editor. Reason is that your old savegame files and config files contain deprecated part modules in them from old IR plugin. Without proper edits, even if you will be able to load savegame and craft files in latest KSP, those would not work properly.

Theoreticaly, it is possible to update such old savegame/craft files, but you might find  it very difficult and time consuming to do that.

2 hours ago, kcs123 said:

Even latest forked beta might not work properly on KSP 1.9.x. There is reports that it work for some people on KSP 1.8.x, but I can't confirm that from first hand. Latest published IR-Next pre-relese works fine with KSP 1.7.x. Latest working release version is marked properly for 1.7.1 on CKAN.

dockingwasher part is from legacy deprecated part packs. IIRC, it was black disk with red markings on it to visualy detect angle of rotation. Those parts you may find only for original or "old" IR. I don't recall if there is config files for IR-Next for those parts. There is a lot of changes inside part config files, so even if you download legacy part pack, you will need to re-write configs for those. 3D visuals might still work, but there is need for update on 3D meshes due to Unity game engine version change along with KSP updates. That was main obstacle for legacy parts. Author of those parts is no longer active and noone have original unity files to be able to re-pack them properly in new Unity game engine.

Now, since your crafts have those parts on them, even if you manage to find legacy part pack and find or create proper config files for it, you will need to edit savegame files and craft files too, outside of KSP with some text editor. Reason is that your old savegame files and config files contain deprecated part modules in them from old IR plugin. Without proper edits, even if you will be able to load savegame and craft files in latest KSP, those would not work properly.

Theoreticaly, it is possible to update such old savegame/craft files, but you might find  it very difficult and time consuming to do that.

Thanks, this is still quite helpful.  I'm doing some pretty intense work to get this thing up & running in 1.9, and I'm open to save/config file editing in Notepad++ ... to be honest I've come this far, so I figured, why not?

I appreciate the input.

Edit: Parts can be found here for anybody else running into similar issues.

Edited by psychonaut25
Helping out anybody else with similar issue

3 hours ago, psychonaut25 said:

Thanks, this is still quite helpful.  I'm doing some pretty intense work to get this thing up & running in 1.9, and I'm open to save/config file editing in Notepad++ ... to be honest I've come this far, so I figured, why not?

I appreciate the input.

Edit: Parts can be found here for anybody else running into similar issues.

I can only wish you the best luck with this. For dockingwasher part I guess that closest counterpart in new set of parts is basic rotatron. Almost all of module names are very similar with legacy parts with additional suffix "*_v3" in module name. Like "ModuleIRServo_v3", for example for basic rotatron. For first attempt you might want to copy almost all of module from basic rotatron, but keep reference for old legacy model parts like *.mu files and texture files.

You may also try to bring everything to be compatible with KSP 1.7.3. as it is latest certainly confirmed working version, before proceeding to KSP 1.9.x. Otherwise you might not know if something does not work due to your own mistakes or something else was broken with mod itself between KSP updates.

I hope that this additional info will make all the stunt a bit easier to do it.

@Rudolf Meier

Hey!

I love this mod so much! But unfortunately at some point the "IR Rotatron MK2" got out of the part list.

For me this is the most used part because it can handel quite heavy parts needed for my VTOLs.

Is there a possibility to add this part again?

Thx for your great work

• 2 weeks later...

I'm running ksp 1.9.1 running a beta IR from MS site from last week or so.  I'm relatively new to IR but not to the real world stuff that IR replicates.  Anyway, is it possible in IR, through some 'recoupler' type trick or similar, to have a robotic limb connected via more than one IR moving part path to a common ancestor?  See pic. I faked the top joint visually, it ain't workin.  Can I edit the file and link those points up if I drink a pot of coffee first?  I really need the extra leverage and stability and the biggest scale Liftotron isn't up to it.

On a related not, can I put 2 gantries face to face to get twice the distance and double the joint surface in an IR device?  Editing the file is what I'm thinking of trying but if everyone here but me knows that that won't work I'd like to know before I get down that rabbit hole.  And if there is a better forum to ask this in (I looked around, a big booming central IR forum eluded me) then I'll go ask there

I got a boost when I discovered IR as it made KSP seem 'new' again; more to play with.  Thank you devs for your passion and work

It appears my shareable google drive link isn't good enough for the server, it is just a pic of a gantry visually connected to parallel 2 pivotrons on extendatrons upstream toward the root part.  I probably haven't posted enough to earn that priv, but you it isn't like I have to draw a picture, right?  :^)

• 4 weeks later...

In InfernalRobotics_v3.0.2 + KSP 1.9.1, I find the Robotic Part has angle resolution ( 1 degree ) in KSP Field "target position".
I will get 77 degree if I set 76.54321 degree. It's a rounding value.
I don't like this feature. I want precise input.
Is there any way to angle change the resolution to a smaller value?
Thanks.

• 1 month later...
On 5/23/2020 at 2:29 AM, WolfS said:

@Rudolf Meier

Hey!

I love this mod so much! But unfortunately at some point the "IR Rotatron MK2" got out of the part list.

For me this is the most used part because it can handel quite heavy parts needed for my VTOLs.

Is there a possibility to add this part again?

Thx for your great work

I'm going to make a VTOL. for 2.5m tanks to be attached.

But:

Moving Mesh and Fixed Mesh are opposite for me. I have no idea why that is so. That is btw the same issue with the original VTOL model.

With the normal cfg setting the base is moving and the joint is standing still. Makes absolutely no sense. I triple checked everything, changed the collider/model upsidedown. No chance to have it fixed.

I had to make the Base the moving mesh and the Joint the fixed mesh. Then it rotates as intended (base is fixed, joint is rotating). After so many days frustrating testing, I don't even bother to find out why these two things are switched. I just let it be now.

Just want to mention it here. Maybe someone has an idea. If not, then not lol. (sorry, don't want to backread 52 pages)

Edited by Duke-49th

Ok, this thing is driving me nuts.

So I have rebuilt it. Properly, in my opinion. This time it was much easier and I sticked to some "rules" doing it.

Still I have this weird behavior. I need help as I cannot figure it out. Here is a video, screenshot from Blender and cfg file.

PART
{
	// --- General Parameters ---
	name = VTOL25
	module = Part
	author = Duke49th

// --- Asset Parameters ---
	mesh = model.mu

scale = 1
	rescaleFactor = 1

// --- Node Definitions ---
	//node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
	node_stack_bottom = 0.0, 1.805, 2.13, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 2
	//node_attach = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0

// --- Editor Parameters ---
	TechRequired = actuators
	entryCost = 7500
	cost = 2500 
	category = none
	subcategory = 0
	title = VTOL25
	manufacturer = Dukes Trash Factory
	description = This old rusty VTOL is designed for big mothertrucking lander and rockets. Its durable. 
	tags = infernal robotic rotatron servo

// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision
	attachRules = 1,1,1,0,0

// --- Standard Part Parameters ---
	mass = 1.5
	dragModelType = default
	maximum_drag = 0.2
	minimum_drag = 0.2
	angularDrag = 2
	crashTolerance = 250
	maxTemp = 2000
	breakingForce = 9999
	breakingTorque = 9999

// --- TweakScale Parameters ---
	MODULE
	{
		name = TweakScale
		type = Rework_Standard
	}

// --- Robotics Parameters ---
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleIRServo_v3
		servoName = VTOL25

axis = 0, 1, 0
		pointer = 1, 0, 0

fixedMesh = Cube
		movingMesh = Joint

isRotational = True

hasMinMaxPosition = False
		minPosition = -360
		maxPosition = 360

isFreeMoving = False

electricChargeRequired = 2.5

isInverted = False
		isLocked = False

canHaveLimits = True

hasPositionLimit = False
		minPositionLimit = -360
		maxPositionLimit = 360

factorAcceleration = 20
		maxAcceleration = 20
		accelerationLimit = 4

factorSpeed = 20
		maxSpeed = 20
		speedLimit = 1

factorForce = 50
		maxForce = 500
		forceLimit = 500

zeroNormal = 0
		zeroInvert = 0
		presetsS = -180.0|-90.0|0.0|90.0|180.0

availableModeS = Servo|Rotor|Control

//invertSymmetry = False
		soundFilePath = MagicSmokeIndustries/Sounds/infernalRoboticMotor		// Motor loop sound path
	}
}

eUh4fKj.png

Edit: This is from Unity.

IPchXyW.png

So please kindly tell me what is wrong? I really can't figure. :(

Edited by Duke-49th

Could it have to do something with Quaternion?

When I analyzed the difference between my model and the other IR models, I figured that the rotation method is different. It is with W axis. I googled it and it tells me it is Quaternion.

I have no idea what that is.

But when I set this the same way as the original VTOl model (W 1.0 ) then it is still doing this weird behavior.

When I add another mesh collider for the Joint, right next to the base plate, then it will stop spinning all around. But then still the whole base is rotating. I can't make it stop rotating. No matter how I bring it in order, change the cfg or whatever. I is becoming super frustrating because I really tried everything. I changed it all. I even built a new model. So I built three models now in total. And tried everything with the mesh colliders, the parent/child order etc. pp. Everuthing that could possibly have something to do with the issue. But it doesn't help.

I don't see what I make different to the other parts.

Please please pleaassseee help me. I can't rest until I figured it and fixed it. I want that VTOL so badly. And I want to continue with it, making textures etc. But I stuck here. And it drives me crazy. I even ignore my work and spent another whole day on it haha.

Here is also the blender model (w/texture file):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/17AG8jlK41Ug5a91I2aRw2AzSF_7jx4uz/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Duke-49th

Nice to see there is still interest in this mod! (despite it effectively being redundant with the DLC existing)

Looks like what you're making is functionally similar to the Rotatron Right (Rev). Sadly its been a long while since I've tested the mod, so I cannot remember if that part is still in it (Rudolf was able to remove most of the Rev parts).

Here is what it looks like in Unity though:

9iTJyZZ.png

9EIN2aJ.png

That looks very similar to what you show in your unity picture, other than the Base and Joint objects not having child object. Having colliders on child gameObjects is fine, and something I did on more complex parts like the rails.

Your part config seems good too, although you do have your fixedMesh = Cube, when in the later Unity picture it is named Base. I suspect this is why the base is rotating.

As for the weird rotation you are seeing on the joint, make sure the orientation of its gameObject in Unity matches that in the picture above. Often Blender keeps around transforms, so you may have to clear the transforms on that end (I've no idea how you'd do that nowadays). Or you can have the joint transform oriented correctly, then a child transform with the model and collision mesh at the needed orientation.

Hope that helps :) 

11 hours ago, Duke-49th said:

Ok, this thing is driving me nuts.

So I have rebuilt it. Properly, in my opinion. This time it was much easier and I sticked to some "rules" doing it.

Still I have this weird behavior. I need help as I cannot figure it out. Here is a video, screenshot from Blender and cfg file.

PART
{
	// --- General Parameters ---
	name = VTOL25
	module = Part
	author = Duke49th

// --- Asset Parameters ---
	mesh = model.mu

scale = 1
	rescaleFactor = 1

// --- Node Definitions ---
	//node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
	node_stack_bottom = 0.0, 1.805, 2.13, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 2
	//node_attach = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0

// --- Editor Parameters ---
	TechRequired = actuators
	entryCost = 7500
	cost = 2500 
	category = none
	subcategory = 0
	title = VTOL25
	manufacturer = Dukes Trash Factory
	description = This old rusty VTOL is designed for big mothertrucking lander and rockets. Its durable. 
	tags = infernal robotic rotatron servo

// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision
	attachRules = 1,1,1,0,0

// --- Standard Part Parameters ---
	mass = 1.5
	dragModelType = default
	maximum_drag = 0.2
	minimum_drag = 0.2
	angularDrag = 2
	crashTolerance = 250
	maxTemp = 2000
	breakingForce = 9999
	breakingTorque = 9999

// --- TweakScale Parameters ---
	MODULE
	{
		name = TweakScale
		type = Rework_Standard
	}

// --- Robotics Parameters ---
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleIRServo_v3
		servoName = VTOL25

axis = 0, 1, 0
		pointer = 1, 0, 0

fixedMesh = Cube
		movingMesh = Joint

isRotational = True

hasMinMaxPosition = False
		minPosition = -360
		maxPosition = 360

isFreeMoving = False

electricChargeRequired = 2.5

isInverted = False
		isLocked = False

canHaveLimits = True

hasPositionLimit = False
		minPositionLimit = -360
		maxPositionLimit = 360

factorAcceleration = 20
		maxAcceleration = 20
		accelerationLimit = 4

factorSpeed = 20
		maxSpeed = 20
		speedLimit = 1

factorForce = 50
		maxForce = 500
		forceLimit = 500

zeroNormal = 0
		zeroInvert = 0
		presetsS = -180.0|-90.0|0.0|90.0|180.0

availableModeS = Servo|Rotor|Control

//invertSymmetry = False
		soundFilePath = MagicSmokeIndustries/Sounds/infernalRoboticMotor		// Motor loop sound path
	}
}

eUh4fKj.png

So please kindly tell me what is wrong? I really can't figure. :(

Totally naive observation here as I've never done what you are doing but it appears the base of the piece and the curved angle are not on the same page with regards to a single reference axis (or maybe 2 axis) in some respect.  It appears the outer piece is rotating on a different axis, or maybe on 2 axis at once instead of one, relative to the base section.  So maybe examine how the connection between those two pieces are defined with regards to axis, or maybe the rotational action needs to be applied to both subassemblies in an equal manner? 

2 hours ago, Duke-49th said:

When I add another mesh collider for the Joint, right next to the base plate, then it will stop spinning all around. But then still the whole base is rotating. I can't make it stop rotating. No matter how I bring it in order, change the cfg or whatever. I is becoming super frustrating because I really tried everything. I changed it all. I even built a new model. So I built three models now in total. And tried everything with the mesh colliders, the parent/child order etc. pp. Everuthing that could possibly have something to do with the issue. But it doesn't help.

Again, I have no idea of the workflow involved in doing this, but it sounds a lot like a situation where one thinks they are making changes they should see but might be looking for the changes where they won't show up.  Just something to rule out.  Example, I've kept making changes to code before, then tested the code, and pulled my hair out in frustration until I realized I was running/testing code that was in a similarly named directory to the one my newly compiled code was going into; so I wasn't running the changed code at all.  Could something similar be happening here? 

Maybe verify that the chain from edits to testing is contiguous; or put some blatant simple change into the model that you can easily see so you *know* you are looking at the result of modifications instead of an old unchanged version, if only for sanity's sake.  Anyway, something to rule out prior to more frustration and maybe it will help

2 hours ago, ZodiusInfuser said:

Nice to see there is still interest in this mod! (despite it effectively being redundant with the DLC existing)

Looks like what you're making is functionally similar to the Rotatron Right (Rev). Sadly its been a long while since I've tested the mod, so I cannot remember if that part is still in it (Rudolf was able to remove most of the Rev parts).

Here is what it looks like in Unity though:

9iTJyZZ.png

9EIN2aJ.png

That looks very similar to what you show in your unity picture, other than the Base and Joint objects not having child object. Having colliders on child gameObjects is fine, and something I did on more complex parts like the rails.

Your part config seems good too, although you do have your fixedMesh = Cube, when in the later Unity picture it is named Base. I suspect this is why the base is rotating.

As for the weird rotation you are seeing on the joint, make sure the orientation of its gameObject in Unity matches that in the picture above. Often Blender keeps around transforms, so you may have to clear the transforms on that end (I've no idea how you'd do that nowadays). Or you can have the joint transform oriented correctly, then a child transform with the model and collision mesh at the needed orientation.

Hope that helps :) 

Hi, thanks a lot for your input.

@Names in the screenshot of mine. No they were basically correct. I was just playing around. I kept changing the names, adding more colliders etc. I also thought at one point that MAYBE the names could be hardcoded haha. 
That's why the screenshot differs from the cfg file. Sorry, I should have made it matching. Didn't notice it. My intention was more on showing the hierachy.  But when I am testing it, I always make sure they match.
I have tested all combinations that could come to my mind.

What I am wondering is that I took the original VTOL parts config as an example and that part works. The bottom node is not working  on the old VTOL (attached tanks remain at the position when rotation starts). But the base and Joint parts are moving correct or better say, the base standing still and the joint is rotating as it should be. But with my model, it is moving like in the short video clip that I have posted.

Just @orientation is something that I wasn't aware of, aside of this Quaternion thing. That's a good hint, if it has influence. I will try that later/tomorrow (I think 15 hours is enough for today loool)

But as you suggested, I will going to check the orientation. That's the one and only thing that I have not yet touched (in the new model. The previous model I've made, I've changed something and made it work, but I forgot what exactlyI did). I thought the orientation in unity only affects how the parts orientation is in the game, when you select it. Mine are 90 degree on the X axis. If that was the problem I am happy. I hope that is the only issue.

Also I noticed that it rotates counterclockwise, while the other parts form the mod rotate clockwise. (when pressing arrow right in the motor control window) - I assume that is an indication that the orientation is messed up?

Often Blender keeps around transforms, so you may have to clear the transforms on that end (I've no idea how you'd do that nowadays).

But I don't really undestand what you are trying to say with Blender. It keeps around transforms? Sorry, maybe I am tired, but I don't get it. I get the idea from the second sentence tho. I think haha.

43 minutes ago, darthgently said:

Totally naive observation here as I've never done what you are doing but it appears the base of the piece and the curved angle are not on the same page with regards to a single reference axis (or maybe 2 axis) in some respect.  It appears the outer piece is rotating on a different axis, or maybe on 2 axis at once instead of one, relative to the base section.  So maybe examine how the connection between those two pieces are defined with regards to axis, or maybe the rotational action needs to be applied to both subassemblies in an equal manner? 

Funny thing is if I put another collider mesh as cylinder next to the base "plate" and/or base "collider" the whole thing (base+joint) rotates  without rotating around both axis as in the video. I can't see the logic behind this. I only figured that this stops this weird behavior. But still the base is not fixed and is rotating together with the joint. I can't make the base remain still/fixed.

The previous model I made (which was a total mess at the end) worked good, aside from the attachment nodes not working at all. Now the attachment nodes working fine, but the rotation thing is not working. And I can't figure why.

Thank you guys for your input. Appreciate it. I will test it and report back tomorrow. If it works out, I make texturing and change some minor stuff on the appearance and upload it. And make some more parts.

I know KSP has native robotic functions. But the parts sucks. Not much parts and all so super small. And I think some functions from the mod are missing. Haven't tested the KSP robotic parts to be honest, because they're so small so I didn't bother to check them. Also I think they rotate too fast. They're more for Helicopter/Propeller stuff? Not sure tho.

Sorry if my reply is a bit long and my english sucks. I can barely keep my eyes open, I'm so sleepy now. But have to wait another 30 minutes to log out from work (work from home) :D

Edited by Duke-49th

48 minutes ago, Duke-49th said:

@Names in the screenshot of mine. No they were basically correct. I was just playing around. I kept changing the names, adding more colliders etc. I also thought at one point that MAYBE the names could be hardcoded haha. 
That's why the screenshot differs from the cfg file. Sorry, I should have made it matching. Didn't notice it. My intention was more on showing the hierachy.  But when I am testing it, I always make sure they match.
I have tested all combinations that could come to my mind.

The names are definitely not hard coded, just all the models use the same names to make things easier when I was developing the CFG's (and a bit of laziness :P)

49 minutes ago, Duke-49th said:

What I am wondering is that I took the original VTOL parts config as an example and that part works. The bottom node is not working  on the old VTOL (attached tanks remain at the position when rotation starts). But the base and Joint parts are moving correct or better say, the base standing still and the joint is rotating as it should be. But with my model, it is moving like in the short video clip that I have posted.

If that's the very old VTOL parts you're referring to, then I would advise against referencing that. It was never updated to work with IR Next because nobody had the original model files for it. Also the style did not match the Rework style that was the main "selling point" of the IR Next release.

53 minutes ago, Duke-49th said:

Just @orientation is something that I wasn't aware of, aside of this Quaternion thing. That's a good hint, if it has influence. I will try that later/tomorrow (I think 15 hours is enough for today loool)

Pretty sure it has influence, as I believe IR applies a rotation relative to the base and joint objects, rather than the part itself.

55 minutes ago, Duke-49th said:

Also I noticed that it rotates counterclockwise, while the other parts form the mod rotate clockwise. (when pressing arrow right in the motor control window) - I assume that is an indication that the orientation is messed up?

Counter clockwise may be fixed with the orientation changes. If not then putting -1 for your axis value is entirely valid.

56 minutes ago, Duke-49th said:

But I don't really undestand what you are trying to say with Blender. It keeps around transforms? Sorry, maybe I am tired, but I don't get it. I get the idea from the second sentence tho. I think haha.

Ah, maybe "keeps around" was the wrong phrasing. What I meant is that when modelling in Blender it is easy to move the local origin of the model to not be positioned at the world origin. This would cause issues when importing a .blend file directly into Unity, which is how I did it. Interestingly, checking the .blend file for the rotatrons, I see I have the local origin is at 0,0,0, but has a 90 degree rotation around X. I can only guess this is to have Y facing up so the model appears correctly in Unity and does not need any transform applied in there.

D5B6JND.png

2 hours ago, ZodiusInfuser said:

Pretty sure it has influence, as I believe IR applies a rotation relative to the base and joint objects, rather than the part itself.

Ok. The hint with the orientation did it. I mean that is the only issue with my model. It is the problem, not just an influence.
(I couldnt sleep, had to test it hehe.)

Thing is you're right. It is the rotation. But I couldn't figure how to fix it. (only now reading your post) In Blender it looks correct, as soon as I import it to Unity via Collada file, all X axis change to -90 degree. It then has the same error that I have with my model.

I also then tried to correct it in Unity, with all kind of angles. 0, 90, 180, 270 and the same with minus in front. Nothing works. So after it has been imported in Unity, it is not possible to fix it. At least from the Collada file.

I could understand this for my model. But using the models of IR and also the old original VTOL, giving me the same messed up rotation, as soon as I import it to Unity. I import the .mu model from the addon folder into blender.  Then export as Collada, then import into Unity = messed up. (with the exact same erroenours base+joint rotations)

I btw used the VTOL as it has the same shape/orientation. That's why I thought it might help me more than using a rotatron. I see now that it doesnt help.

1 hour ago, ZodiusInfuser said:

This would cause issues when importing a .blend file directly into Unity, which is how I did it.

Ahh so you don't export it as collada and then import it?
Didn't know that works. All tutorials I saw so far did it as collada. Just tested it at this moment while I am typing the sentence. Seems to work!? Will try this method now before continue to mess around with the collada file.
For the test tank that I've made, it is not relevant (wouldn't make sense tho). But because of the rotating part it is.

1 hour ago, ZodiusInfuser said:

What I meant is that when modelling in Blender it is easy to move the local origin of the model to not be positioned at the world origin.

The origins of all parts should be positioned at the world origin (0,0,0)? Did I understand this correct? (just double check if I undestand it correct)

I think and hope that this is finally the solution now. I will check it with my model and with an IR model from the mod if mine don't work again.

In any case I thank you so very much for helping me.  :):kiss:

Ok now this is even more weird now.

Not only I haven't been able to fix it. I really tried everything with the rotation. for both methods, using the blender file and collada. I also deleted the collider meshes and tried all combinations again.

Nothing, nada, nope, no. No way to fix it. I think I'll give up. If someone knows the solution, nice. Otherwise, I will not touch it again. Just some few more tests out of curiosity, because:

But also I just went to the launch pad in the 3D world this time (haven't tested it that way before). And what shall I say. The behavior is not the same as in the building.

Why is that? It rotates differently. Instead of both parts rotating, not it is only the base rotating.

But this also means I have to over and over again test it. Maybe while building the rocket it is showing wrong, but on launch pad then works proper?

I will just check that tomorrow to figure why it behaves different, but then I let it go. I will try doing other parts. A simple rotatron with having a hope that this will then work.

@Duke-49thLooking back over your post - I saw you mentioned using Quaternions - I have a dim recollection of seeing a note that the Blender Collada exporter can't handle Quaternions (you may want to double check this). Of course this doesn't explain why the blend file import didn't work.

The import works.

It's just that something seems to be messed up. When I check in Unity in debug mode, there is the W-axis. So the Quaternion seems to be there. Funny is that I don't have to set it up in BLender in first place. It is there automatically. So even if I setup the regular XZY axis, as soon as it is imported in unity, it comes with an W-axis.

But I am not sure what it is. I will make a simple model later with both axis on top of each other. Simple rotatron. This should work. If it doesn't work at all, I assume there is something wrong with Unity/Blender/KSP/KSP tool package or anything related to it.

I mean, I wasted 2 days with Unity just to find out, thanks to you guys, that the devs gave us a broken tool package.

So it could be the case that there is a new issue, right?

One other thing I haven't tested yet, is to make a model for the KSP built-in robotics. I could check one of their parts and try to make it work there. That's somethign I might play around with to see if and how they did it different.

Edited by Duke-49th

Allright.

I got the Rotatron working. In the 3D world (launch pad).

But in the VAB editor the base is again rotating over the X axis. Like the VTOlL in the video.

That makes no sense. But at least it works where it should - in the 3D world.

Now I have to find out why the behavior of the VAB is different from 3D world .

10 minutes ago, ZodiusInfuser said:

Glad you were able to get somewhere with it!

I've no idea why it's behaving like that in the VAB though, as the same config is used for both. It's very different code paths though, so it's entirely possible the mod is now broken in whatever the newest version of KSP is now.

Thank you. And thanks for helping me. Btw I now struggle a bit with the texturing hehe. NOt that easy to make dds files!? Is that even necessary? Does it really save that much space? My test texture is all in all 26 MB lol. A bit huge. Took me almost an hour to bake in blender :D

I don't think it is the mod. Because the parts of the mod working fine. It is just if I import/export with Unity and use them in the game then.

I've tried for fun to use one of the Rotatrons, imported into BLender, then to Unity and then back into the game. Result is the same as above. So I think more of an issue with the Tools package or the game itself. At least that sounds more logical to me.

What program has been used to created/Edit the dll files? What language is it I mean? I might just for fun take a look into the code. I assume it is C# ? I once did some scripts/addons for for ArmA...maybe I still remember a bit hehe. That was in a kind of C as well. They modified it, but based on C.

Edited by Duke-49th

• 1 month later...
On 11/12/2019 at 5:17 AM, V8jester said:

Hey guys, I glanced back through but didn't see anyone mention it. Anyone else noticing frame rate drop (basically crawling) when using hot keys to move parts with a button press?

Fair warning - Extremely mod heavy install. And I've only been bashing around 1.7.3 the last couple of days.

I am having this exact issue too, I assumed initially it was an issue with the mode being for control and not servo as it was most noticable here but it turns out it is always causing the same frame drop whenever the servos are moving unfortunately. The control mode sounds absolutely amazing, hopefully I can figure a fix for this so I can get my SN8 flaps working! I am on 1.9.1, to be fair, and a heavy mod install. Unfortunately I couldn't see anything in the debug about this. 

pGZUkef.png

full album for anyone interested ;) https://imgur.com/gallery/yW5bZfS

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.