[WIP] Infernal Robotics - Next

Rudolf Meier

1 hour ago, IMrChrisI said:

Oh. And new rotators are bugged. Its blocking at 360 degrees. 

ups... yes, that's a bigger problem...

I fixed it -> new release is online (Github)

21 minutes ago, kcs123 said:

I'm not sure, but seems that he merged back previously reverted piece of code, but removed older KSP versions or I'm not reading github properly.

*hmm* ... I don't know... didn't go into details after he reported, that I should come with a new pull request after changing parts of it

My opinion! Rudolf Meier is spending many hour of his time developing a mod so that for us players get to enjoy and improve on KSP game play and and I'm great full for that.

Why do people keep going on about compatibility issues with other mods that a minority use? For those that haven't worked it out yet the vanilla game itself has options to overcome the issues that people use the other mods for. Look at the options menu and read about the features of the game?  

The whole thing is time consuming and nonproductive to the development of this mod, my suggestion to Rudolf is to take on Rover Dudes attitude, If it doesn't work with other mods,  its not my problem. Make the mod compatible with the core game and don't try to make the minority happy or you will never get it finished. 

52 minutes ago, Getsome2030 said:

My opinion! Rudolf Meier is spending many hour of his time developing a mod so that for us players get to enjoy and improve on KSP game play and and I'm great full for that.

Why do people keep going on about compatibility issues with other mods that a minority use? For those that haven't worked it out yet the vanilla game itself has options to overcome the issues that people use the other mods for. Look at the options menu and read about the features of the game?  

The whole thing is time consuming and nonproductive to the development of this mod, my suggestion to Rudolf is to take on Rover Dudes attitude, If it doesn't work with other mods,  its not my problem. Make the mod compatible with the core game and don't try to make the minority happy or you will never get it finished. 

Not sure what exactly you're talking about, what mods are you referring to?

One mod too many and its a mod that the previous developers warned people not to use with IR. in vanilla ksp the auto strut feature dose the same thing and you also have the option NOT to auto strut IR parts.

Edited by Getsome2030

1 minute ago, Rudolf Meier said:

:) nice... just that I can reproduce this: do you use KJR / autostruts ?

Still none of them both, and I did not alter the rotatron in any way, I left it like it came from the parts list.

46 minutes ago, Blackline said:

Still none of them both, and I did not alter the rotatron in any way, I left it like it came from the parts list.

I cannot load this... TPtank something is missing... is this a new part in 1.4.2? or do you use the DLC? I'm testing (and playing) without that... and I haven't switched to 1.4.2 yet

30 minutes ago, Blackline said:

all yes, DLC and 1.4.2, and maybe the fuelTanksPlus, i guess thats whats missing. But (for my setup at least) any chopper configuration explodes. I'll make a new one

here we go: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6tnvbg9z58w020x/Choppa2.craft?dl=0

could you try to build it also without rotatron? just remove it and attach the upper part where the rotatron was attached... does it fail too?

19 minutes ago, Blackline said:

Did that, it just turns around nicely. The problem is the rotatron.

turns around? ... which part did you use? are there other turning parts than IR parts? or do you mean... only the uncontrolled rotatron is a problem and the others not?

2 hours ago, Blackline said:

I put my rotor on a fixed base with wheels instead on a rotatron. I had no IR parts included, and no explosions. If i put a rotatron between the fixed base and the rotor, funny stuff happens.

cool... you found a 1 bit error... the cfg file for the uncontrolled rotatron contains a variable called "freeMoving" ... but its name should be "isFreeMoving" ... (this error is only in this cfg, all others are correct)... because of that the bool (1 bit) is not set and that's causing the problem

26 minutes ago, Rudolf Meier said:

cool... you found a 1 bit error... the cfg file for the uncontrolled rotatron contains a variable called "freeMoving" ... but its name should be "isFreeMoving" ... (this error is only in this cfg, all others are correct)... because of that the bool (1 bit) is not set and that's causing the problem

unfortunatelly there is another bug... but this is one of KSP I think... if you attach a landing leg to your craft, then it autostruts to the heaviest part (and you cannot turn this off) ... if the heaviest part is connected via IR part (even though our parts report "hey! I'm an unlocked joint!"), then everything is locked. I don't know if the problem is a bug in the treatment of unlocked joints or if it is just for legs... but I'm almost sure it's not an IR bug

5 minutes ago, Rudolf Meier said:

unfortunatelly there is another bug... but this is one of KSP I think... if you attach a landing leg to your craft, then it autostruts to the heaviest part (and you cannot turn this off) ... if the heaviest part is connected via IR part (even though our parts report "hey! I'm an unlocked joint!"), then everything is locked. I don't know if the problem is a bug in the treatment of unlocked joints or if it is just for legs... but I'm almost sure it's not an IR bug

This kind of thing started to happening since KSP introduced autostruting of landing legs for the first time. Only way to avoid it to have this in mind and construct craft in a way that landing leg autostruting does no put struts between movable and static IR parts. Placing parts out of symmetry can help in some cases too (placing one landing leg at a time).

Other than that, not much can be done, only option is to not use stock landing legs and landing gears. USI MKS landing legs does not do autostruting as well as landing gears from Kerbal foundries mod. Probably some other mods too, but those two are first ones I can recall from top of my head.

2 hours ago, kcs123 said:

This kind of thing started to happening since KSP introduced autostruting of landing legs for the first time...

Yes, but... it should still not autostrut over unlocked joints. They are internally asking every part if it is ok to autostrut over this part, but seem to do it wrong...

Edit: I have checked that and it is a KSP bug. (I made the same when I was working on KJR... that's why I fully understand this problem :) ). Report is out... lets see what they say...

Edited by Rudolf Meier

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.