Superfluous J

The No Contract Career Challenge

Posted (edited)

Well I finally did it, all buildings are upgraded to level 3, paid for only by milestone rewards.

Part 1 of the final mission (a trip to Laythe) report is here.

I'm breaking the report down into 3 parts (outbound and landing, ascent and renezvous and finally return) as there's over 70 images to post in total.

I'll make my final post, giving the final details about my entry here later today.

Here's part 2 and 3.

So Mr @5thHorseman I submit to you my completed challenge entry, in the Modded Normal category (due to KER, which I only used in the VAB/Hanger... well, stats were displayed inflight, but I forget I even have it).

No Admin strategies were used and no ISRU.

Edited by purpleivan

19 hours ago, purpleivan said:

So Mr @5thHorseman I submit to you my completed challenge entry, in the Modded Normal category (due to KER, which I only used in the VAB/Hanger... well, stats were displayed inflight, but I forget I even have it).

No Admin strategies were used and no ISRU.

Very well done! Welcome to the winner's circle and congrats on making it without admin strategies!

On 3/21/2020 at 11:08 PM, ralanboyle said:

Alright, I'm in.

Hello hello! Your video made me miss EVE and all the city lights. Nice job on Minmus, I hate going there without patched conics at least.

I thought I was about done with this challenge. I did the Jool 5 and came back to find I'd earned, not nearly as much from it as expected. Mostly because i didn't get any of the "Returned from" Rewards. I thought i got that for bringing the kerbal home but I see from the wiki that its the ship so my first question: 

1. What exactly do I have to do to get that award? Like, what part of the ship needs to come home? Can it be docked and refueled on the way home?

I've got about $1.5M in the bank and it looks like I need another $1.5M to upgrade all the buildings. I have not yet landed on Eve or Gilly but I've visited them. And I have not yet visited Moho. I'm assuming I can't get $1.5M from those. 

2. What should I do? 

6 minutes ago, ralanboyle said:

1. What exactly do I have to do to get that award? Like, what part of the ship needs to come home? Can it be docked and refueled on the way home?

I know it has to be a command pod or probe core. Other than that I don't think it matters. You should be able to dock it to other things to refuel, and even re-enter and land, but you should undock everything and recover them separately for full credit.

6 minutes ago, ralanboyle said:

2. What should I do?

You could do what I did, which is batch convert all of your leftover science to cash in the Admin building. I don't recall offhand but I may have also dug into my reputation as well.

If you are really hurting, the best way to go is probably to get a science lab landed on Minmus, and bring it any science you can find to process and send home. Then convert that to cash in the admin building.

Or you could re-do the Jool mission :D

Yeah, fair enough. So far I haven't used labs or the admin building but I may have to. I didn't even collect science on my Jool run because i'd already unlocked everything. 

Okay, I have now competed this challenge. I'll post videos after I edit them but I am here to confirm that you get the "Return From" awards if the command pod that landed on the body, also lands on Kerbin. I had a classic "no parachutes" situation and all that survived was Jeb and his command seat. He did have to chase it down a mountain and get back into it to "recover vessel," but it survived and I got the credit!