Game will run fast or slow depending on its mood

Hello there, I am running into a interesting issue lately and I was wondering if anyone has experienced (and hopefully solved) something similar. I run a heavily modded game in an HP Omen with i7 processor and Nvidia GPU. Been playing the game for years, mostly problem free. Since a few days the following happens:

- I start the game, go through the loading screen, all seems good but when the game actually starts the FPS are painfully low.

- I restart the game multiple times (sometimes once, sometimes twice... ) and then the game will be running again on its desirable FPS.

The interesting thing of all this is that, since HP Omens are (in)famous for their noisy ventilation system, one can tell how hard the GPU and CPU are working at any given time just out of how noisy the laptop is. When the game starts on the slow FPS mode the ventilation system is quiet, seems like the CPU is deciding by itself to run on diesel mode, whereas when the game finally decides to start in the desirable FPS mode the ventilation kicks in right away.

From my non technical background it seems to me that my laptop decides, based on it's mood, to either dumb itself down and not make an effort, or to actually do...  Anyone, any tips?

Two things come to mind .....

Check the Win-doh's power management settings and check that your laptop is set to full power/performance

CPU's and GPU's will throttle themselves if they get too hot and seeing as you mention that you've been playing for years with no issue (on the same computer I assume) that leads me to think that your laptop is due for a good cleaning ... dust and other clingons will eventually start clogging up the heat sink in the laptop reducing cooling efficiency ... it may be that you finally hit a critical mass (so to speak) of dust in the fins that is causing your laptop to not cool itself efficiently due to lack of airflow

Hope this helps :)

I too have this issue and cannot explain it. Im running KSP n its own partition on a LITE version on Windows 7 and while it runs flawlessly 95% of the time there is that one occasion it will run choppy from the loading screen, even from cold which requires a restart......problem gone. Only ever had in 1.3.1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.