Make RTGs have a set lifespan

There's been a right click option for the RTG for as long as I've been playing (.19) which tells you it's efficiency, which really leads me to believe that the developers wanted to implement this at one point but larger developments put it on hold until it got forgotten about. A simple config could probably have it follow a power reduction curve.

That said, I think RTGs should last about 2 years ingame. Realistically 10 years would be better but seeing as you can get all the science on Kerbin in career mode within one day, it makes longer timeframes like decades harder to experience. Plus the shorter timeframe forces players to actually utilize the craft while the RTG is still functional, rather than put it off for later.

The idea of limiting lifespan of RTGs is an interesting one and i quite like it.  I think 2 years is probably a bit short though.

To expand on the idea...

How about being able to delay activation of RTGs?  A bit like 'locking' fiel tanks so they don't empty.

When, and only when, building tbe craft you can set an RTG to 'dormant" so it effectively becomes dead weight. Then it can be activated when desired, but once activated it cannot be switched off again.

This means for long missions you can plan ahead by taking spare RTGs for when the original dies, but the down side is you have to lug them around until you need them.

40 minutes ago, pandaman said:

How about being able to delay activation of RTGs?  A bit like 'locking' fiel tanks so they don't empty.

Not possible.  RTG's create power from the decay of an isotope.  They don't have any moving parts, there is no on or off switch, there just is power.  And heat.   From the moment the material is created, the clock starts ticking. 

I think they should decay some.   Perhaps adding some parts in the tech tree where the efficiency of the RTG's  increases with more unlocks.  The first RTG would be good for 2-3 years, the second 8-10, and the third 30-50.  While the cost would increase due to the better materials and design, the weight of the part should not increase much at all, as they are being designed to be more efficient.   I don't think we need more RTG parts, just increase the stats on the one we do have as the tech tree progresses.

EDIT:  Seeing @Brikoleurs comment about fun game play, I'll amend my idea so the highest tech tree would either not decay, or have a life span long enough to basically not have an effect on the game.  500 years?

Edited by Gargamel

I'd rather not. It would be more realistic, but in my opinion less fun. It would just add a built-in lifetime limiter to craft that require a RTG, and I don't see how that would contribute to fun gameplay.

10 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

Not possible.  RTG's create power from the decay of an isotope.  They don't have any moving parts, there is no on or off switch, there just is power.  And heat.   From the moment the material is created, the clock starts ticking. 

I think they should decay some.   Perhaps adding some parts in the tech tree where the efficiency of the RTG's  increases with more unlocks.  The first RTG would be good for 2-3 years, the second 8-10, and the third 30-50.  While the cost would increase due to the better materials and design, the weight of the part should not increase much at all, as they are being designed to be more efficient.   I don't think we need more RTG parts, just increase the stats on the one we do have as the tech tree progresses.

Fair do's.  I figured that it may not be a workable suggestion for that kind of reason.  I had wondered if the reaction could be 'kick started' when desired, but I guess it just doesn't work that way (darn physics).  As much as KSP is a game, I like the fact that it is grounded in reality and it should stay that way.

1 minute ago, pandaman said:

I had wondered if the reaction could be 'kick started' when desired,

I know the Apollo landers carried the radioactive core in a cask on the lander's leg, and an astronaut would have to then insert the core into the RTG itself.  I believe this was done because there had been a few failed launches where RTG's had RUD'ed upon unexpected re-entry, so the core has to be contained in a cask that will survive re-entry, and not contaminate the environment.  I think Apollo saved weight by keeping the core in a smaller cask, and then assembling it later, rather than having to build a bigger cask as part of the RTG.    The Apollo 13 RTG ended up (intentionally) in the Tonga Trench, and they think it's still intact.    So there is historical precedent for 'activating' an RTG,  but I don't think it has a usable game play mechanic.  

@Clockwork13 I've seen this suggested multiple times over the years, and every time the general consensus was that some people would like it while others would dislike it. It's probably not going to happen in stock KSP.

However, if you play on PC, this is available as a mod - an optional extra of Near Future Electrical. If you don't want the rest of that mod, you can safely remove the Parts subfolder. As all features are tied to parts, this will make it feel like the mod isn't even installed, save for the fact that your RTGs now have a limited lifespan.

56 minutes ago, Streetwind said:

save for the fact that your RTGs now have a limited lifespan.

I believe it doesn't change the stock RTG.  At least mine isn't.  But it does offer a variety of other RTG and Fission reactors that have limited lifespans. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.