Should I buy KSP Enhanced Edition?

Reactive Xenon

I have known about ksp for nearly a year learning how to play the game by watching tutorials and reading ksp wiki. I don't have a computer powerful enough to run ksp though and I really like the game so I was wondering if I should buy the game. Someone told me to wait a month from the release date which I did so now I'm trying to make my decision. 

P.S I have about 10  hours of play time on my friends laptop and I have watched hundreds of hours of ksp

Read the technical support forum for the console versions carefully and decide if you're willing to play now while potentially encountering the issues that others have mentioned. Honestly, I would wait until the first patch arrives and see what it fixes. I don't think they've announced the date for texture patch yet, but take a look at today's "KSP Weekly" that should be posted in The Daily Kerbal section of the forum in a few hours for the latest information.

I recommend you keep waiting if you don't want to possibly have to deal with bugs/control issues.

Personally I would rather recommend the pc version.  Mods add a lot to ksp. 

You don't need a particularly powerful pc to run ksp.  I'm using a 7 year old pc with an i7-860 cpu and a HD5770 graphics card, and that runs ksp fine.  Would I get better performance and pretty graphics from a more powerful pc?  Sure.  Can my pc cope with all the graphical mods that really improve the graphics?  Nope.  But my pc is probably roughly the same performance as the ps4 or xbox one, and those mods won't be available for the console versions anyway.    

2 hours ago, AVaughan said:

You don't need a particularly powerful pc to run ksp.  I'm using a 7 year old pc with an i7-860 cpu and a HD5770 graphics card, and that runs ksp fine.

Blatantly this.  I run on a 9 year old box with a 10 year old 3.1 GHz Core 2 Duo CPU and only 4 gigs of RAM.  KSP is very forgiving if you've got decent single-core performance.  I'd get more than 4 gigs o' ram, though -- I often have to close browsers and things to give it more headroom so windows doesn't start murdering performance paging stuff out to disk.

9 hours ago, Reactive Xenon said:

I have known about ksp for nearly a year learning how to play the game by watching tutorials and reading ksp wiki. I don't have a computer powerful enough to run ksp though and I really like the game so I was wondering if I should buy the game. Someone told me to wait a month from the release date which I did so now I'm trying to make my decision. 

P.S I have about 10  hours of play time on my friends laptop and I have watched hundreds of hours of ksp

I'd say if you can, wait a bit longer, or if you want it all NOW... go PC. incidentally...  your friend was pretty wise to tell you to wait. 

I cannot in good conscience recommend the console version of this game AT THIS TIME without saying a few things 

things you need to know:

1. it contains game breaking issues in need of a patch.  the game is playable - however it has some problems. as mentioned in other threads, check out the tech support section to see if this is something you want to deal with or not.  the developer says its committed to building a stable version, and I believe them. they are NOT crooks... however they haven't committed to a timetable for the fixes, so be forewarned, you could be waiting for a fully working game for a while.   

2. you MAY be buying a "KSP lite" version of the game.  what you will get is a version up to date with version 1.2 "loud and clear" , which may or may not receive further content updates.  current PC version is 1.3, with a 1.4  release planned next month. furthermore the console version may or may not have compatibility with future DLC.  ie: the developer has not committed one way or the other to bringing future content updates or DLC.  commitment to console bug fixes and stability updates yes... parity with PC and DLC... no commitment as yet.  so be forewarned if that's a deal breaker for you,  you might want to pass on the console edition. 

3. there is no mod support for the console version. while such a thing is (possibly) feasible insofar that there are console games with sanctioned Mod support on consoles (example: Fallout 4)  - general consensus in the community is that there probably will NEVER be mod support for KSP console for a myriad of reasons.  however there has been no confirmation or denial from the developers that Mod support will be a part of KSP console... buying lottery tickets might be a better bet though.   if Mods are something you absolutely must have to make you happy - better pass on console and go PC. 

so, after reading the above - and its all on the table.

my .02:

is the game fun?  you bet!  if you do go for it... recommend to stick to sandbox till they fix the game, or really drag your feet  and take your time in career (the worst of the game breaking issues seem to come up later in the tech tree...)  

can you play and enjoy it tomorrow? - sure, if you can handle the above, and go in to it with expectations that it's broken, but still playable. 

is it perfect? - far from it.  but I really (mostly) do believe it'll get there... eventually, 

hopefully this helps clarify things for you a bit. 

if I knew a year and a half ago what I know now... I'd still buy the game,  but at least I'd have gone into it fully informed. 

10 hours ago, AVaughan said:

Personally I would rather recommend the pc version.  Mods add a lot to ksp. 

You don't need a particularly powerful pc to run ksp.  I'm using a 7 year old pc with an i7-860 cpu and a HD5770 graphics card, and that runs ksp fine.  Would I get better performance and pretty graphics from a more powerful pc?  Sure.  Can my pc cope with all the graphical mods that really improve the graphics?  Nope.  But my pc is probably roughly the same performance as the ps4 or xbox one, and those mods won't be available for the console versions anyway.    

I have a 2 yr old pc that has 2g of ram and it runs on freaking intel celeron It can barely handle ksp demo and I have never purchased a game on the pc also Im not a big mod fan so thats not a problem my parents bought 2 $350 each all in 1 desktop so I dont expect them to be that good

6 hours ago, Farm Buyer said:

I'd say if you can, wait a bit longer, or if you want it all NOW... go PC. incidentally...  your friend was pretty wise to tell you to wait. 

I cannot in good conscience recommend the console version of this game AT THIS TIME without saying a few things 

things you need to know:

1. it contains game breaking issues in need of a patch.  the game is playable - however it has some problems. as mentioned in other threads, check out the tech support section to see if this is something you want to deal with or not.  the developer says its committed to building a stable version, and I believe them. they are NOT crooks... however they haven't committed to a timetable for the fixes, so be forewarned, you could be waiting for a fully working game for a while.   

2. you MAY be buying a "KSP lite" version of the game.  what you will get is a version up to date with version 1.2 "loud and clear" , which may or may not receive further content updates.  current PC version is 1.3, with a 1.4  release planned next month. furthermore the console version may or may not have compatibility with future DLC.  ie: the developer has not committed one way or the other to bringing future content updates or DLC.  commitment to console bug fixes and stability updates yes... parity with PC and DLC... no commitment as yet.  so be forewarned if that's a deal breaker for you,  you might want to pass on the console edition. 

3. there is no mod support for the console version. while such a thing is (possibly) feasible insofar that there are console games with sanctioned Mod support on consoles (example: Fallout 4)  - general consensus in the community is that there probably will NEVER be mod support for KSP console for a myriad of reasons.  however there has been no confirmation or denial from the developers that Mod support will be a part of KSP console... buying lottery tickets might be a better bet though.   if Mods are something you absolutely must have to make you happy - better pass on console and go PC. 

so, after reading the above - and its all on the table.

my .02:

is the game fun?  you bet!  if you do go for it... recommend to stick to sandbox till they fix the game, or really drag your feet  and take your time in career (the worst of the game breaking issues seem to come up later in the tech tree...)  

can you play and enjoy it tomorrow? - sure, if you can handle the above, and go in to it with expectations that it's broken, but still playable. 

is it perfect? - far from it.  but I really (mostly) do believe it'll get there... eventually, 

hopefully this helps clarify things for you a bit. 

if I knew a year and a half ago what I know now... I'd still buy the game,  but at least I'd have gone into it fully informed. 

Thx for the tips, 2 and 3 I can live with especially since I have never in any game modded so I dont know what Im missing so its harder to care about it for 2. Though is a hard blow especially with 1.4 coming out soon but I think as PCs become cheaper and better in the next 2 years I will probably get a good laptop so its not to bad 1. Is meh I can wait but Im not going to wait another 9 months to get ksp if they don't make it good by the end of the summer Im probably going to PC but I believe they can

Slightly off topic perhaps, but sort of relevant.

If you are looking at/needing to buy a PC then consider going for a desktop rather than a laptop.  You will almost certainly get better performance for the same money, or equal performance for less money, and it's generally easier to upgrade bits (like extra memory or graphics cards etc)  if and when you want to. 

I'm not qualified to advise on what kit is most suited to your needs, but there are threads on here that cover it and there are many here on the forums with the knowledge that will be happy to help.

4 hours ago, Harry Rhodan said:

In its current incarnation KSP needs at least 4GB.

It's more a matter of Windows needing more and more with each version, but yeah, I'd recommend 4gb at minimum for anything these days.  How much does stock KSP actually use?  I haven't played stock in some time.

Edited by klgraham1013

As others have said, there are still problems with the console version of KSP, especially for those playing career mode.  I have been playing the Enhance Version for the same reasons. I don't currently have access to a PC, but I did get a PS4 for my 50th birthday last year.  I'm playing Science Mode and haven't encountered the more annoying bugs that Career Mode players have reported. So, for what their worth, are my thoughts;

1. I'd say it's easier to learn the game on PC as the mouse/keyboard combination is just so intuitive.  That said, I'm quite impressed at the way they have managed to map so many commands onto the controller.  But, I think it was easier for me, having previously played the PC version.

2. Mods and DLC might (probably?) never come to the console version.  That's much less of an issue for new players as the base game has so much to do.  However, it's worth bearing in mind if you want to expand the possibilities in the future.

3. Patches.  I'm prepared to take in good faith the assumption that the console version will get a patch that sorts out the game breaking issues that can occur in Career Mode.  If that were never to happen?  I'd be disappointed that I'm stuck with Science and Sandbox but, for me, it's better than no KSP.  The Trophy system on PS4 still gives me goals to aim for without having to earn the funds, which I get less pleasure from.

The sensible advice is still, as your friend suggests, wait a while and see what happens with patching the current problems.  Assuming that goes as planned, I'd go for the console version rather than miss out on the awesomeness that is KSP.  If you had the choice I'd still recommend the PC version over the console for ease of use, mods, updates etc, but I am loving the ability to play once again!

In summary - PC version is preferable to Console Version, which is preferable to not playing KSP!

My thoughts only - your experience may differ

My PS4 Mission Reports

Edited by Clipperride

10 hours ago, pandaman said:

Slightly off topic perhaps, but sort of relevant.

If you are looking at/needing to buy a PC then consider going for a desktop rather than a laptop.  You will almost certainly get better performance for the same money, or equal performance for less money, and it's generally easier to upgrade bits (like extra memory or graphics cards etc)  if and when you want to. 

I'm not qualified to advise on what kit is most suited to your needs, but there are threads on here that cover it and there are many here on the forums with the knowledge that will be happy to help.

I have a desktop and it sucks so...

4 hours ago, Clipperride said:

As others have said, there are still problems with the console version of KSP, especially for those playing career mode.  I have been playing the Enhance Version for the same reasons. I don't currently have access to a PC, but I did get a PS4 for my 50th birthday last year.  I'm playing Science Mode and haven't encountered the more annoying bugs that Career Mode players have reported. So, for what their worth, are my thoughts;

1. I'd say it's easier to learn the game on PC as the mouse/keyboard combination is just so intuitive.  That said, I'm quite impressed at the way they have managed to map so many commands onto the controller.  But, I think it was easier for me, having previously played the PC version.

2. Mods and DLC might (probably?) never come to the console version.  That's much less of an issue for new players as the base game has so much to do.  However, it's worth bearing in mind if you want to expand the possibilities in the future.

3. Patches.  I'm prepared to take in good faith the assumption that the console version will get a patch that sorts out the game breaking issues that can occur in Career Mode.  If that were never to happen?  I'd be disappointed that I'm stuck with Science and Sandbox but, for me, it's better than no KSP.  The Trophy system on PS4 still gives me goals to aim for without having to earn the funds, which I get less pleasure from.

The sensible advice is still, as your friend suggests, wait a while and see what happens with patching the current problems.  Assuming that goes as planned, I'd go for the console version rather than miss out on the awesomeness that is KSP.  If you had the choice I'd still recommend the PC version over the console for ease of use, mods, updates etc, but I am loving the ability to play once again!

In summary - PC version is preferable to Console Version, which is preferable to not playing KSP!

My thoughts only - your experience may differ

My PS4 Mission Reports

Ok thank you Ilk be watching out for the patch 

Ok thank you I'll be watching out for the patch date

1 hour ago, Reactive Xenon said:

I have a desktop and it sucks so...

I guess that means if you go the pc route you will need to upgrade anyway to whatever suits your needs best.  As i said earlier, check out the relevant threads on these forums it may give you some pointers and help you figure out what's best for you.

Best of luck, and welcome to the forums and the KSP universe.

I have both the pc version and the xbox one x version. I've played kerbal for years with all the usual mods.

Honestly I'm really enjoying the xbox version. Yes there are some game breaking bugs, but that's kerbal - the pc had its fair share too. However, I think they've  done a great job with the controls. The radial menus work great; everything is organised well. 

I'd go as far as saying I prefer the console version. I just prefer controllers to keyboard and mouse. Sitting at my PC feels like I'm at work.

But it' more so the convenience. On the Pc, I need to turn it on, log into windows, load steam, run the game, yadda yadda. On xbox i can play the game, shut off my xbox, turn on my xbox later and I'm instantly back in the game with no loading. Xbox suspends your game when you power off allowing you to resume later. 

So whilst i agree ksp on pc is the 'better' version, it may not be the preferable version. 

11 hours ago, Clipperride said:

As @ruairiau points out, once you have got the hang of the controller, it's easy to use in almost all situations and, dare I say it, easier than the keyboard for some tasks.  

I wonder if they'll bring that control scheme to PC.

And yeah, I agree. Oddly for such a complicated game, controlling via the controller is easier than keyboard and mouse for some (if not most) tasks. 

I feel that statement could cause a war.

On 2/19/2018 at 6:30 AM, Clipperride said:

I see that Squad now describe the concole patch as "very close", so hopefully you won't have much longer to wait.

As @ruairiau points out, once you have got the hang of the controller, it's easy to use in almost all situations and, dare I say it, easier than the keyboard for some tasks.  

Thats what I thought! Plus I have never downloaded a game on a PC but I have spent alot of time on my xbox so the controller is more natural to me than the keyboard and mouse

I feel as if most people who don't like console are already avid pc players which makes the switch harder since they are used to the pc

Analog control of vehicles, especially planes and rovers, is generally preferable, and analog control of vehicles with a mouse is generally pretty miserable. I can see why people would prefer a controller for some stuff. However, when it comes to things like vehicle building, especially complex vehicles, would want a keyboard and mouse every time.

That being said, the number one reason I advocate waiting to get the console versions is the number of complaints I've seen. Through normal play, there have been too many people experiencing significant issues that should be fixable, so it makes sense to me to wait.

9 hours ago, Mako said:

That being said, the number one reason I advocate waiting to get the console versions is the number of complaints I've seen. Through normal play, there have been too many people experiencing significant issues that should be fixable, so it makes sense to me to wait.

The game is certainly playable on console. It does have a game breaking bug where you cannot save if you warp for too long in game time - so avoid the high speed warp and quicksave often. I've not experienced any other major issues and I wouldn't say to wait. 

49 minutes ago, ruairiau said:

The game is certainly playable on console. It does have a game breaking bug where you cannot save if you warp for too long in game time - so avoid the high speed warp and quicksave often. I've not experienced any other major issues and I wouldn't say to wait. 

I'm genuinely glad you've had such a positive experience. The reason I maintain my position of wait and see if problems are fixed is because not everyone has had such a positive experience and there's no guarantee that things will be fixed.

Everyone hopes they will be fixed, but after a lot of work, a release, two patches, a lot more work, and then a re-release people are still feeling negatively about the console versions due to bugs.

I think it's best if people have as much info as possible, so it's great to have your positive experience voiced as well. Then folks can make the decision that best suits them.

And hopefully the upcoming patch makes a whole lot more folks feel positive about their purchase of KSP on consoles.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for all the feedback last Friday i bought ksp enhanced edition on console and it was terrific the building in the VAB and SPH was a bit harder than normal but most things were easier I had loads of fun this weekend and I have played it for 10 hours last weekend. I would recommend ksp for anyone using console or PC it is a great game and I had tons of fun crashing my Kerbals and killing them...

On 2/16/2018 at 10:26 AM, Reactive Xenon said:

I have known about ksp for nearly a year learning how to play the game by watching tutorials and reading ksp wiki.

I have KSP Enhanced edition on PS4. The recent patch fixed a ton of the glitches that existed.

There are still some things missing for us console players though.

Physics time warp will not work during course correction burns, and making some of the fine adjustments to manoeuvre nodes for interplanetary transfers can be "difficult".

There are no mods of any kind just yet for console, but there are whispers of future DLC.

Scott Manley has a youtube video where he plays KSP on a console, and he discusses some of the differences in workload.

But I'm thrilled with this Kerbal Space Program Enhanced Edition 1.01

Cheers!

Edited by GrouchyDevotee

To anyone on the fence i’d say this is an amazing game!  I knew absolutely nothing about ksp and I remember watching the trailer for it on the PSN store when the enhanced edition was released. The trailer didn’t impress me so I skipped right over it. Until Monday when I was desperate for something new to play. This time I watched the trailer in full and thought it might be pretty cool to design your own craft and see if they’ll get into space, so I took a chance and bought it. I had no idea what I was getting myself into!

4 days later of pretty much playing from waking till sleep (helps that I’m on holiday!) and I can honestly say this game is amazing!  It’s been tough trying to learn the basics but that feeling of getting into Mun orbit for the first time was amazing. Though accidentally over cooking my burn out of Mun orbit, meaning that I had to over correct which left me going too fast back into Kerbal atmosphere with no fuel to slow down had me almost crying when my ship exploded. 

Ive made a few more successful trips back to Mun orbit but still not managed to land on it yet.  There is no other game like this on the PS4 so if you like the idea of creating something and seeing how it performs as well as big challenges then this is well worth the money.  So far I’ve only experienced a few glitches and nothing game breaking and if I can only just orbit the Mun I’m not worried about dlc!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.