Any tips on creating reusable boosters without parachutes?

So, I've been playing KSP for a while now, and in my main career save I've developed an SSTO rocket that is kind of my go-to when launching payloads now (except that I usually use an expendable variation simply because I'm lazy). However, it lands with the use of parachutes, and I want to try something a little more difficult and interesting, specifically having a booster that doesn't use parachutes. Any tips for making a practical reusable booster like this?

Hello!

For my ssto rockets I usually use mammoth engines, because It has more impact tolerance (i don't use any legs). 

For the landing itself, I tend to use some (4-6-8, depends the mass of the rocket) aerobrakes, and for the rest of the landing, i do a normal powered landing (but now, i do use a free chutes)

Cheers

If your objective is to reduce mission cost, just keep in mind; parachutes (but regular and drogue) are a very effective way to reduces your speed in atmospheric flight.  Packing the same amount of "breaking power" on engines or wings can be a lot more expensive.

That said, you can either try to land your rocket like uncle Elon do, or make it a glider. Different ways, with different things to consider.

4 hours ago, SpaceDirt said:

So, I've been playing KSP for a while now, and in my main career save I've developed an SSTO rocket that is kind of my go-to when launching payloads now (except that I usually use an expendable variation simply because I'm lazy). However, it lands with the use of parachutes, and I want to try something a little more difficult and interesting, specifically having a booster that doesn't use parachutes. Any tips for making a practical reusable booster like this?

The only real way to land vertically without parachutes is using a powered landing. For maximum efficiency, you'll want to do a suicide burn. This means you start burning at the last minute possible to avoid a crash. The KER mod gives you a handy readout to know when to start burning. You do need to make sure your TWR is above 1. Other than that, the only solutions it to put wings and wheels on the rocket and land horizontal on the runway.

If you're willing to use mods, I recommend a combination of MechJeb and Reusability Expansion. RE provides some fantastic landing gear and grid fins, as well as the booster wings I still have yet to make an effective design around. :blush: And Mechjeb is the absolute KING of vertical powered landings. Want to set back down on the launchpad? With a well-designed craft, Mechjeb can absolutely swing that. I've found my 3.75m SSTO booster has a Circular Error Probability of ~10 meters, which is pretty dang accurate, all things considered.

1 hour ago, Spricigo said:

Any chance of a craft file?

Sure -- I'll just need to grab some screenshots of the final version -- this was a prototype and there are some changes, notably to the nose section.

It's not really a plane though. More of a procket. Easy to fly, but really inefficient compared to an actual plane.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.