Starlink Thread (split from SpaceX)

DAL59

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, tater said:

Interesting. Do the circles on the map represent the area of the sky that they can communicate with?

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a Starlink-5 pass coming up tomorrow that looks like it's going to go very close to the Moon. Maybe it's even worth driving my telescope a mile or so to photograph them crossing. First I have to see what they look like tonight if the clouds open up enough...

I mean, yeah, I suppose it's cool to see a line of very bright satellites in the sky, but isn't this visibility the reason why so many astronomers are worried that they will disrupt astronomical photography?

Edited by mikegarrison

6 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

I mean, yeah, I suppose it's cool to see a line of very bright satellites in the sky, but isn't this visibility the reason why so many astronomers are worried that they will disrupt astronomical photography?

The satellites are only this visible and closely packed shortly after launch. When they get into position, they are very dark and only seem to produce flares like Iridium used to, except these flares are dimmer, last longer and repeat as multiple satellites pass through the right region. I've never seen more than two Starlink satellites at a time that were already in place.

Saw it again tonight. 

https://www.heavens-above.com/StarLink.aspx?launchid=2020006&lat=0&lng=0&loc=Unspecified&alt=0&tz=UCT

The prediction on heavens-above agrees with what I saw. The leading group is brighter and closely packed, there are two lone sats in between which are probably close to their operational positions, and the trailing group is dimmer and more spread out. The train goes almost all the way across the sky in a big line.

I imagine some of the old folks who went out to watch Sputnik 1 are seeing this too, and considering how far we've come.

Edited by cubinator

Saw Starlink a couple weeks ago; counted something just over 50. Cool at first, but very disruptive to astrophotography. I would much rather use a small number of large sats which are reliable enough to deorbit after their service life ends, but no, Mr. Musk must have his Starlink. Nevermind the other seven billion people on Earth who would like to see the stars properly...

I guess Elon is a Kesslerizer. :/

17 hours ago, cubinator said:

The satellites are only this visible and closely packed shortly after launch. When they get into position, they are very dark and only seem to produce flares like Iridium used to, except these flares are dimmer, last longer and repeat as multiple satellites pass through the right region. I've never seen more than two Starlink satellites at a time that were already in place.

Also how the solar panels is oriented, during orbit raising they are pointed forward, in position they point up, guess they need to point forward during burn because of center of mass and to reduce drag. 

11 hours ago, SOXBLOX said:

I guess Elon is a Kesslerizer.

I guess his main goal is to lock himself and all the others on this planet and never go anywhere.

WTH are all those new forum accounts being against everything?

Edited by Wjolcz

11 hours ago, SOXBLOX said:

I would much rather use a small number of large sats which are reliable enough to deorbit after their service life ends

It's worth noting that even if these sats fail, they'll pick up drag and de-orbit within a few years with no outside interference needed.