Starlink Thread (split from SpaceX)

DAL59

3 minutes ago, Brotoro said:

Why would you want that antenna tilted at all? Or do they just want to avoid having it become a bird bath after it rains?

I would assume it would need tilt for different mounting options. If the sky on the one side was blocked by the side of a building, etc. Such that if it sees a 120 degree arc, say, that that is as much pure sky as possible.

• 2 weeks later...

I avidly follow UK politics as well as space news, so this is right up my street. It's hard to comment because of the forum rules.

Suffice it to say that the current UK government need not have exited the Galileo program, but did so for ideological reasons.

It then spent millions on attempting to start up its own navigation system, which was doomed to failure from the beginning (what satellites launched on what rocket from what launch site operating on what frequency?).

Apparently someone then convinced them to buy a half billion £ stake in OneWeb as a solution to the "what satellite" part of the problem, despite the fact OneWeb doesn't actually have the required technology and the satellites can't be retrofitted even if they did.

Follow that up with the fact that a major govt donor has a large stake in OneWeb, and this deal stinks of corruption.

This is entirely on brand for this govt.

Edited by RCgothic

On 7/3/2020 at 11:17 PM, RCgothic said:

Suffice it to say that the current UK government need not have exited the Galileo program, but did so for ideological reasons.

It then spent millions on attempting to start up its own navigation system, which was doomed to failure from the beginning (what satellites launched on what rocket from what launch site operating on what frequency?).

They could've provided something more like Japan's QZSS, given the similar latitude and the "special relationship". But oh well.

At least honestly it gives me a lot less worry on how exactly they're going to affect observations and stuff. The way how they've been working means that it'd probably only be seriously considered in the next decade or something; and probably the astronomical community there would've given it enough pressure that it'd be fairly impotent by then.

I hope the other players (esp. Starlings) would really reduce their brightness and stuff. Maybe the US DoD has something up their behind.

Edited by YNM

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.