I Could Use Some Tips for IVA

So I've been working on an interior for a pod I made. Does anyone have some tips on prop placement? What props should I definitely include and which should I stay away from (if any)? So far I've just been placing in parts which I think look cool. Also, I downloaded the RasterPropMonitor and ASETProps. Here's what I have so far:

i1RaFyy.png

aYKUmuH.png

wKnPqUb.png

Is there anything I should change?

Another question: I put in a ladder and airlock which work fine for getting in the pod, but when I try to EVA it says the hatch is obstructed. Here's the placement in Unity of the hatch and ladder. (The ladder is a copy of the airlock and at the same coordinates) The Airlock mesh and collider overlap a bit. Are they supposed to? 

DplNSOa.jpgGGS5CTW.png

Sorry for the picture-heavy post. I'm new to this so any help is appreciated. 

There is no proper way to make an IVA, you can make it any way you like. And it looks great at the moment. You can hide non-glass parts of the IVA by having a depth mask cover in your IVA model. Just have a model like your exterior frame, even low poly is fine. Cover everything that is not glass, once exported, depth mask portions will not be transparent. Therefore, you'll only see "glass" parts. Depth mask is a shader, just like diffuse, specular, etc.

Edit: Here's an example of depth mask showing glass portions only:

hDF2uN0.png

---

Here's a recent EVA Airlock thread.

Edited by blackheart612

Thanks for the response. 

17 hours ago, blackheart612 said:

You can hide non-glass parts of the IVA by having a depth mask cover in your IVA model.

So the depth mask is how to get an effect like below? So for the cockpit below the depth mask would cover everything except the windows and that part of the roof right? Is the depth mask an additional separate mesh with the windows and roof cut out then? 

nlBDbFJ.jpg

I figured out the ladder/airlock problem with that thread. It looks like the box I had wasn't big enough for the Kerbal to spawn in and I didn't have the layer set to part triggers. But it works now! 

Thanks again for the help.

22 minutes ago, Starlord Kerman said:

Thanks for the response. 

So the depth mask is how to get an effect like below? So for the cockpit below the depth mask would cover everything except the windows and that part of the roof right? Is the depth mask an additional separate mesh with the windows and roof cut out then? 

nlBDbFJ.jpg

I figured out the ladder/airlock problem with that thread. It looks like the box I had wasn't big enough for the Kerbal to spawn in and I didn't have the layer set to part triggers. But it works now! 

Thanks again for the help.

No problem. You're right about the depth mask. Parts with no depth mask are transparent like that. It's a separate mesh as I said, yes. And that mesh should have a depth mask shader.

• 2 years later...
On 2/17/2018 at 8:36 PM, blackheart612 said:

No problem. You're right about the depth mask. Parts with no depth mask are transparent like that. It's a separate mesh as I said, yes. And that mesh should have a depth mask shader.

and what would the depth mask shader excatly, *be*? How do you set it up? Also, do you use this to block skybox lighting from your IVA view?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.