Enhanced Edition Laggy/Game Stutter

Since the game finally got released I jumped on it like a hungry dog does with food.

Rockets is like olden days, never getting them of the ground or losing control and kerbal death, planes work well but only when I make my own wacky designs.

So after playing a long time it starts to get irritating that flying my planes (or any other craft with 20+ parts) the game gets super Laggy with every 10-20 seconds stutter.

Am I right to say that the Unity 5 engine came after the 1.2 release of pc (enhanced edition is 1.2 version)?

I know that porting isn't easy, but does anyone have a idea what type of unity engine the console version is using?

Also, if/when blitworks is updating the game, are they going to port a more recent version of ksp from pc or do they update the game themselves to implement new features similar of the pc version?

1 hour ago, HebaruSan said:

No; KSP used Unity 5 as of the 1.1 release. It was a requirement for doing a console port.

https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Version_history#v1.1

Ok, when I scrolled in the link it mentioned a unity 5.something, but whatever.

Any idea why the console version is Laggy even with the unity 5 engine? (I'm using xbox one s and game's are on external 2 terrabyte 3.0 harddrive)

Edit: I'm going to move the game to internal harddrive to test if that caused the lag issue.

Edited by BGH9

7 minutes ago, BGH9 said:

Ok, when I scrolled in the link it mentioned a unity 5.something, but whatever.

Any idea why the console version is Laggy even with the unity 5 engine? (I'm using xbox one s and game's are on external 2 terrabyte 3.0 harddrive)

That's a very complicated question, and it's been covered here in far greater depth than I would want to attempt:

40 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

That's a very complicated question, and it's been covered here in far greater depth than I would want to attempt:

At least so far I tried to play the game via internal harddrive and that seems to fix a lot of the lag while flying, I'm going to start my first career savegame so I will be flying a lot of crafts and loading multiple buildings.

Though I do realise that a game made for pc is always going to run in harddrive issues, maybe the newer consoles (xbox one x and playstation plus) will be able to handle games like this much better.

On 2/17/2018 at 3:14 PM, BGH9 said:

At least so far I tried to play the game via internal harddrive and that seems to fix a lot of the lag while flying, I'm going to start my first career savegame so I will be flying a lot of crafts and loading multiple buildings.

Though I do realise that a game made for pc is always going to run in harddrive issues, maybe the newer consoles (xbox one x and playstation plus) will be able to handle games like this much better.

I'm pretty sure the issue is either coding and memory management efficiency or all the physics the game runs. My PS4 internal is a Samsung 1 TB SSD and still lags just like you described in the OP. Someone said something about it being an issue with the garbage collection stage of the language used to write the core code, which is, essentially, when memory is released by the programming language for variables and objects that are no longer being used. Which is probably why it happens during events ranging from turning the camera to flying at Mach 3+. Objects constantly being brought into and out of focus among other things.

The simple answer is a console is made for shiny graphics, which are not hard as it has a good graphics chip.

KSP needs a good processor because it has actually hard code to process. Consoles are less well equipped in that area.

As such a console can play something like COD with amazing frame rates and graphics fairly easily but KSP, which has lots of physics to calculate, is very hard for a console.

TL;DR you will not stop the stutter and you will not get good frame rates on a console with KSP.

11 minutes ago, John FX said:

The simple answer is a console is made for shiny graphics, which are not hard as it has a good graphics chip.

KSP needs a good processor because it has actually hard code to process. Consoles are less well equipped in that area.

As such a console can play something like COD with amazing frame rates and graphics fairly easily but KSP, which has lots of physics to calculate, is very hard for a console.

TL;DR you will not stop the stutter and you will not get good frame rates on a console with KSP.

Unless they magically find a way to offload some of the physics calculations to the GPU. :wink:

5 hours ago, kevnuke said:

Unless they magically find a way to offload some of the physics calculations to the GPU. :wink:

That has been the holy grail of KSP for years now. I am not holding my breath...

It seems there are issues with PhysX, hardware variations, and other things.

Actually the stutter is due to memory leaks in the code, that is very clear because once you close the app and reopen they just stop for a good while.
Also, if you never leave the Tracking Station / Ship control views it takes a veryyyy long time for it to occur. But do some atmospheric launches, some vehicle editing in the VAB/SPH and it starts happening in no time.

Either Unity's IL2CPP (which I doubt, frankly) or inefficient code from Squad that allocates memory too often (very likely) are the cause of this.

In fact, Unity's Buffbot's latest hits two key points that Squad should look into (Particles Systems' recursive calls and Physics' API allocating too much memory, unless the proper methods are used):

https://create.unity3d.com/tame-unruly-apis?utm_campaign=saas_global_nurture_2017-Pro-Plus-CLC-Stage-A&utm_content=2017-08-global-clc-A-programmer-16&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Eloqua

SQUAD READ THIS! :)

Edited by BlackLotus

• 3 years later...

Before Console users even start to complain about lag, 1st off, you play on excrements hardware, even compared to what the PC players consider bad hardware, 2nd off, Enhanced edition is excrements, every PC player is pretty much unanimous, enhanced edition ISNT enhanced, its a laggy mess and excrements, KSP2 is getting held back(in terms of scope) just since you console users with excrements hardware can play it, if KSP2 devs focused on making a PC GAME then we wouldnt be limited by the excrements hardware of consoles, even excrements laptops and the like can still run KSP ok, but console hardware running the PC game(im talking about the components) well, it would overheat and the FPS would be 5 or less.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.