Rover K-Drive?

Gargamel

I can't be the first to have found this, so I'm curious as to what other people have done with it.  Might have some implications on the Elcano challenges. 

This Rover, I think it's all stock, I tired using all stock parts (Aside from the MJ case):

9AlgEEU.png

All tanks are empty.

While pushing forward, hits about 13 m/s on flat terrain.  But If I gently Hit Left or right (A/D) while pushing forward (W), the speed increases significantly, upwards of 75 m/s.    Now this was my 4th attempt at getting an asteroid I had landed 20km from the KSP, back to the KSP, so I had tired of building 'correct' vessels, I was using inifinite Elec and no crash damage to hurry it along. 

4FesbGj.png

Seeing as the wheels aren't turning to steer, I'm assuming one side is rotating faster than the other side in order to create 'differential' steering, like a tank track would.   When running flat out, trying to steer adds more speed to one side, and the rest of the craft has to keep up.  So spamming L/R gently back and forth keeps adding speed.  

5 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

That's funny, I actually noticed this last night.  Really messed with me when I was trying to back up to another craft to dock with it.

Oh yeah.  I tee'd off on the Asteroid like a golf ball trying to back into it!   This thing will do crazy donuts too.   Drifts pretty well too. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.